Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I take my Magic Bullet through security?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:57 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Bet you anything you like that most TSA types wouldn't know that the "k" in "kW" stands for 1000, and would just see that 35 is more than 1.5. I offer as evidence the inability of even senior TSA management to acknowledge that 3 <> 3.4, and to distinguish between ounce (fluid) and ounce (avoirdupois).
+priceless.

Had an argument with a TSO on one of the blogs about volume measurements and weight measurements regarding ounces. Un-remarkably he said that they were identical.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
Do not refer to it as a Magic Bullet at security.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:17 pm

Are you going to a party with Mick, Mimi, Hazel and Berman? If so please invite me...

http://www.infomercial-hell.com/magic-bullet/
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:23 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by jamesdenver
Are you going to a party with Mick, Mimi, Hazel and Berman? If so please invite me...

http://www.infomercial-hell.com/magic-bullet/
I was wondering when someone would mention that. I love how the one guy is a fatter Anthony Sullivan clone.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Any recent experiences?

Any recent experience on taking a Magic Bullet in a carryon?
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:29 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by catgirl
Any recent experience on taking a Magic Bullet in a carryon?
Not a Magic Bullet but similar. A couple of years ago, some friends from Italy came to visit. One of them got all crazy about curly fries, you know those spiral shaped french fries. We searched everywhere for a curly fry cutter for her to take back with her with no success. It is a plastic box that you put a potato in, turn a handle and the potato spirals down, coming out like, well, a curly fry.

Well, I happened to come across one a few months ago and bought it. i looked into shipping it as we only ever travel with carry on and it would have taken up precious space, but it was really expensive to mail so we decided we could make it work. Last week, Mr. Fink was flying out of YVR to Italy (so far less harsh than the TSA) with his curly fry cutter happily packed in his carry on. We never even gave it a thought but sure enough, that little blade was enough to have it taken away.

We are both frequent travellers with Nexus/GE, only ever take carry on and are well versed in carry on regs. And the only thing that crossed our minds was whether we could spare the space and weight. The fact that this stupid thing had a blade hadn't even occurred to either of us. And it was a tiny blade, hardly enough to give you a paper cut. He sheepishly explained it was a gift and they were really nice about it, but into the bin it went. At least he had a good story to tell.

So, long story later, no way in hell are they gonna let you take this thing with 2 sharp, pointy blades on that plane. If they do, I will be shocked.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA scumbag. Global Entry. Piggly Wiggly loyalty card.
I have the MyTSA app. I just did "Can I Bring?" with "electric blender" and the result was "Check Only."

Slightly OT, but doing "Elephant" in "Can I Bring?" is slightly entertaining. Someone, somewhere in the TSA has a sense of humor.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA 2MM, DL D360
Originally Posted by Finkface
Not a Magic Bullet but similar. A couple of years ago, some friends from Italy came to visit. One of them got all crazy about curly fries, you know those spiral shaped french fries. We searched everywhere for a curly fry cutter for her to take back with her with no success. It is a plastic box that you put a potato in, turn a handle and the potato spirals down, coming out like, well, a curly fry.

Well, I happened to come across one a few months ago and bought it. i looked into shipping it as we only ever travel with carry on and it would have taken up precious space, but it was really expensive to mail so we decided we could make it work. Last week, Mr. Fink was flying out of YVR to Italy (so far less harsh than the TSA) with his curly fry cutter happily packed in his carry on. We never even gave it a thought but sure enough, that little blade was enough to have it taken away.

We are both frequent travellers with Nexus/GE, only ever take carry on and are well versed in carry on regs. And the only thing that crossed our minds was whether we could spare the space and weight. The fact that this stupid thing had a blade hadn't even occurred to either of us. And it was a tiny blade, hardly enough to give you a paper cut. He sheepishly explained it was a gift and they were really nice about it, but into the bin it went. At least he had a good story to tell.

So, long story later, no way in hell are they gonna let you take this thing with 2 sharp, pointy blades on that plane. If they do, I will be shocked.
My best friend is a smoothie fanatic and she travels with a blender in her carry-on on every single trip (3-4 per month). I think she's crazy (just due to the weight alone!) but she has never been harassed about it.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:03 am

I just tried and the answer is no :(

Was flying YTZ - EWR. In my experience the Transport Canada and customs agents at this airport are nicer and although they handled the whole thing very nicely (weren't hostile at all, which I'm grateful for), I still was asked to check my bag. Being the frugal person that I am (would've cost me $35 to check it, wouldn't have justified the Black Friday discount I got to buy it LOL), I just left it behind with my parents who were waiting for me to get through security.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by pogface
Was flying YTZ - EWR. In my experience the Transport Canada and customs agents at this airport are nicer and although they handled the whole thing very nicely (weren't hostile at all, which I'm grateful for), I still was asked to check my bag. Being the frugal person that I am (would've cost me $35 to check it, wouldn't have justified the Black Friday discount I got to buy it LOL), I just left it behind with my parents who were waiting for me to get through security.
So sorry you had to leave it behind.

That said, welcome to FT and thanks for posting this. Keeps the information current and may save someone else a loss.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:07 pm

Blender seized

Yup, nope! .... juat had the base of my bullet blender seized at yvr west jet security. What a joke these clowns are! I explained to him that more damage could be done with a pen and he agreed but stated my favorite saying of the inept; "its just our policy" its like taking nail clippers, who is the group of idiots that dreampt up this list???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.