Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

What paper should I take to the airport [traveling with a minor]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Hi my name is MELISSA I’m moving out to Hawaii my niece is leaving with me in Los Angeles she’s 13 years old her mom did a letter for me so I can register at school and take her anywhere I got an offer for a job so trying to take her with me to Hawaii what paper should I take with me or ask in the airport of LAX
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: Delta, United
My only suggestion is that unless the mother of your niece has sole custody I would have the letter signed by both parents and be notarized.

What is in the letter is another matter ... you might want to seek legal advise given it is for more than just for travel. I.e. sounds as though there will be guardianship implications.

(Welcome to FF)
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP's question is about domestic travel, presumably LAX-Hawaii. There is no ID requirement for a 13 YOA so long as traveling with an "adult companion." No letters, no nothing.

From the TSA Website ---
TSA does not require children under 18 to provide identification when traveling with a companion within the United States. Contact the airline for questions regarding specific ID requirements for travelers under 18.

That said, the air carrier may want something and before consulting attorneys and drafting letters, OP ought to call the air carrier they will fly and ask whether the carrier requires anything of the 13 YOA.

All of the other suggestions relate to documents the OP should or may want to have in order to act as the child's guardian for school registration, medical treatment, benefits and the like. That is certainly something she should speak with an attorney about and has nothing to do with domestic travel.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I took my two young nephews to Canada (we flew to Seattle and drive to Vancouver) and prepared a notarized form letter I found online (Google "documents for traveling with children") that can be used for all travel. This was signed by both patents and notarized. It specified the destination and duration of the trip, the children's full names, address, DOBs, passport numbers (unnecessary in your case); same for me and the parents along with their contact numbers,
I also carried copies of their birth certificates.
FYI, none of this, except for passports, was ever asked for. TSA asked the boys their names and who I was. No ID required for them. At the border only the passports were examined.
So I didn't need any of that, but I was glad I had it just in case.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mell562
Hi my name is MELISSA I’m moving out to Hawaii my niece is leaving with me in Los Angeles she’s 13 years old her mom did a letter for me so I can register at school and take her anywhere I got an offer for a job so trying to take her with me to Hawaii what paper should I take with me or ask in the airport of LAX
While you probably can fly there with no paper at all to be safe you should have a paper signed & notarized by both parents, or else a paper that shows there's only one relevant parent.

Beyond that, though, you need a temporary guardianship. It's not just about registering her at school, you need authorization about medical treatment (and what's the insurance situation??) and the like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.