Can I take my Magic Bullet through security?

Old Mar 15, 2010, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Can I take my Magic Bullet through security?

Can I take my Magic bullet through security? It is small, and I am dieting using the medfast diet. I NEED my small blender as it is not the same with shaking. I am not worried about any of the parts except the small blade. I am a flight attendant, and could have asked at the airport, but you always get 100 different answers from "officials" even if they are supervisors.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:15 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
There are many reports of people having no problem at all who bring it to either make smoothies or blend baby food. Of course, it all depends on who you get on the other end of the screen, but the odds are in your favor.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:37 am
Original Poster

great. i tried a search for discussions on this but no luck. where have you seen it?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 2:01 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Tell them it's a medical device.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
Tell them it's a medical device.
And a totally legit one at that. Medi-Fast is generally only available through nutritionists and doctors. Not that the TSA has any business asking you about that.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:27 pm

Programs: TSO, AS MVP, AOPA member, Private Pilot ASEL
Originally Posted by DontCallMeShirley
Can I take my Magic bullet through security? It is small, and I am dieting using the medfast diet. I NEED my small blender as it is not the same with shaking. I am not worried about any of the parts except the small blade. I am a flight attendant, and could have asked at the airport, but you always get 100 different answers from "officials" even if they are supervisors.
It might get an eyeball on it just to see what it is after it goes through the x-ray but I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be allowed.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:14 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by TSO1973
It might get an eyeball on it just to see what it is after it goes through the x-ray but I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be allowed.
Because a TSO might feel like making a smoothie for himself in the break room or after he gets home. We know what happens to many of the things that are "voluntarily surrendered" at the checkpoint.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:35 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by TSO1973
It is more of a power tool than was my 35W pencil soldering iron that WAS CONFISCATED AT MSP.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I first saw the thread header I was thinking of something a whole lot more fun!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
It is more of a power tool than was my 35W pencil soldering iron that WAS CONFISCATED AT MSP.
Airport math doesn't work. What I mean is IF X is not allowed and Y is not allowed, that doesn't mean Z will not be allowed (or vise versa.)

Originally Posted by DontCallMeShirley
When I first started a couple years ago, I saw one on screen. I asked a supervisor if it was allowed. I was told no. So the next few that I saw, I told the passenger this. Few months ago a passenger came through. I told her the same thing. She asked to speak to a supervisor, who got a manager. The manager allowed this. This pissed me off for two reasons. One, I look like an idiot. And two, more importantly, many people were denied bringing them before. That isn't fair to them. I wish people would get their .... together.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: confidential
If this magic bullet is a blender as what i managed to googled up, i think it may be a no. Due to the sharp knife in there.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by unLogical
Airport math doesn't work. What I mean is IF X is not allowed and Y is not allowed, that doesn't mean Z will not be allowed (or vise versa.)
Power tools have motors in them. My 35W soldering iron was passive with no motor. It was taken as retaliation. You allow people through with 1.5KW hair driers.

When I first started a couple years ago, I saw one on screen. I asked a supervisor if it was allowed. I was told no. So the next few that I saw, I told the passenger this. Few months ago a passenger came through. I told her the same thing. She asked to speak to a supervisor, who got a manager. The manager allowed this. This pissed me off for two reasons. One, I look like an idiot. And two, more importantly, many people were denied bringing them before. That isn't fair to them. I wish people would get their .... together.
Which people? TSA or travelers? You need some commonsense when dealing with people and I see many checkpoints where commonsense is a rare commodity. TSA failed the public and in many, many cases failed their employees by not having better definitions for things. Oh, well I've only got to deal with them when flying. TSA employees must deal with it for at least 40 hours a week.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:22 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by unLogical
I wish people would get their .... together.
I think what you really mean is that you wish the TSA would get its own act together and uniformly enforce the mysterious made-up moogily googily double secret probation rules that us mere mortals aren't allowed to know for fear that the whole world might come crashing down upon us all...

Yes, it would be nice to have some logic and uniform enforcement of the rules across all airports. But then TSA's mission would be in jeopardy, because as we've been told numerous times it is necessary for the TSA to be non-uniform and unpredictable out of an "abundance of caution" or some other made-up catchphrase of the moment.

It would be nice to have TSA place a comprehensive list of things that cannot be brought on their web site, and have each and every screener trained on that list. (If the list changes, the screeners receive refresher training-- just as EMTs do when protocols and/or equipment change.) If the flying public and TSA would each know the entire list of stuff, that would avoid much of the problems and frustration that people run into at the airport. Unfortunately TSA management is so poor and ineffectual that such a simple idea and process is never likely to happen.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:36 am

Power tools have motors in them. My 35W soldering iron was passive with no motor. It was taken as retaliation. You allow people through with 1.5KW hair driers.
See, airport math doesn't work.

And on a side note, I am not TSA.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:29 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Bet you anything you like that most TSA types wouldn't know that the "k" in "kW" stands for 1000, and would just see that 35 is more than 1.5. I offer as evidence the inability of even senior TSA management to acknowledge that 3 <> 3.4, and to distinguish between ounce (fluid) and ounce (avoirdupois).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.