Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Things in checked luggage that look suspicious

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things in checked luggage that look suspicious

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2016, 10:44 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Wow necro.

Anyways recently I've been getting stopped for my car keys. Apparently they look like a mini hack saw from some angles.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by sethb
That one makes sense. There's compressed gas there.
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I thought personal care items were permitted even if aerosol. I would class bugspray as a personal care item if you're going into bug territory.
Except that they should have been permitted. No matter anymore--I found a battery operated bug zapper that charges either 110 or 220.
Originally Posted by 12172003
Found this old thread. How about a 16 pound chunk of tungsten capable of shielding 99+ percents of megavolt x-rays (diagnostic x-rays and TSA use kilovolt x-rays). This is about the size of a 12 ounce can of soup. Due to the density of it, most people think it weighs 40 pounds.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to fedex ahead of time. Knowing TSA would see the blackest image they have ever seen. I did include a note saying incorrect repacking of the case may result in serious injury with the international WARNING sign. TSA didn't repack it correctly. They are clearly illiterate (or don't care). When it fell out, it damaged luggage carousel #3 (IIRC) at SFO. The damage is still there. They are lucky they didn't severely injure/damage a TSA agent, luggage handler, luggage handling equipment or even the plane.
Wow! I'll have to check for that at SFO next time I'm there. I always plan for stupid. Well, because you can't fix stupid.

Originally Posted by alphaod
Wow necro.

Anyways recently I've been getting stopped for my car keys. Apparently they look like a mini hack saw from some angles.
haha! What make and model has a key like that?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:20 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Arrow Moderator's Note:

Please observe the guidelines in this forum's sticky thread:
Please Read: Important Information

Originally Posted by scoow
Welcome to Travel Safety/Security’s Practical Issues forum. This is the place to ask questions and get information to help you travel safely and with minimal hassle.

<snip>

Before posting, ask yourself, “If I were traveling today, is this something I need to know?” For example, threads discussing what is permitted through a TSA checkpoint belong in this forum. If it is a debate about what should or should not be permitted through the checkpoint it belongs in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

<snip>
Thank you,

TWA884
Co-moderator, Travel Safety/Security

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.