Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Things in checked luggage that look suspicious

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things in checked luggage that look suspicious

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2009, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by tfar
Thanks! One might want to bring a certain kind of soap that is not available in the destination country. Same for chocolate. BTW, interesting for the soap. I wouldn't have thought of that.
International travel, OK that makes sense. Taking chocolate is an “iffy” proposition since the temperatures are anything but consistent, melting is going to be an issue.

Why the weight thing? I mean I once had a big copper saute pan as a gift in my checked luggage. I was pretty certain they might pull it and indeed they did. Still it was very easy to see that it was a frying pan. You probably mean big metal objects not because of their weight (which the x-ray can't see) but because of their density, right?
Usually weight has something to do with density. Pots and pans are pretty easy to figure out on the x-ray, shape gives them away. But if they are real dense, cast iron or something like that, they can cause problems. Nothing that cant be cleared by a quick look under them, it only takes a minute.

What about powders? Say I wanted to bring 2lb of finely ground almond flour. Would that throw a flag?

Till
Powders are a new focus point for us. Depending on the size of the package, and I cant think of a use for a package of flour under 3.4 ounces, we will most likely pull the bag for a quick chemical test.

I have had a passenger bring a good sized package of powered gold through the checkpoint. As soon as my eyes widen upon seeing such a dense object (densest object I have ever seen on the x-ray) the passenger was already asking for a private screening. The bag could not have been any larger then my two hands but must have weighed 40 pounds. Ya gotta love experienced travelers. This guy said he travels every 6 months or so with packages like that, and loves to watch the face of the x-ray TSO. One finds entertainment where one can I guess.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 2:02 am

Hey TSORon...

I imagine my handguns look pretty suss on the X-Ray..

I imagine also that we are talking about items NOT specifically declared.....

....... the (excellent/efficient/friendly) young TSO'er at DAY thought my Lever Action shotgun looked interesting and different...

I think he was right there!
Old Nov 30, 2009, 2:04 am

Programs: Mucci, FB Gold, Skywards, MK Kestrel Flyer, BA Gold, M&M FF, UU Capricorne, ACCOR Gold
I get systematically stopped and searched for my tuning fork (in my hand luggage)
Old Nov 30, 2009, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by trooper
Hey TSORon...

I imagine my handguns look pretty suss on the X-Ray..
Not sure what "suss" means, but OK, whatever.

I imagine also that we are talking about items NOT specifically declared.....

....... the (excellent/efficient/friendly) young TSO'er at DAY thought my Lever Action shotgun looked interesting and different...

I think he was right there!
I like the old lever action shotguns myself, but prefer an automatic. Personal preference you understand.

As for declaring, be careful there. Before one goes to the airport with their firearm please check the local laws. There are a few places where attempting to declare a firearm, even in checked baggage, will get one arrested. Any kind of firearm. Also, attempting to declare a firearm at the checkpoint is only going to get you more attention than you ever wanted.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by flyphilrun
I get systematically stopped and searched for my tuning fork (in my hand luggage)
Then maybe you should take the hint and pack it in your checked baggage and avoid the frustration?
Old Nov 30, 2009, 4:55 am

Not sure what "suss" means, but OK, whatever
I'm sure he means suspicious.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 5:31 am

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by tfar
Why the weight thing? I mean I once had a big copper saute pan as a gift in my checked luggage. I was pretty certain they might pull it and indeed they did. Still it was very easy to see that it was a frying pan. You probably mean big metal objects not because of their weight (which the x-ray can't see) but because of their density, right?
Density.

It will happen at the checkpoint too. Jogging weights get pulled because the iron is just so thick it's just impossible to see through.

Same thing will barbells, and barbells will be generally be "prohibited" in the checkpoint for the most part, just because it's a good way to crack a skull open no matter what.

(I would not enjoy having a bag with a barbell falling out of an overhead bin and cracking my skull open nor would any of you I think.)

I'm just commenting here on checkpoint because unlike the other guys, I'm a checkpoint-only TSO. Although, I do hang out in our oversize room alot because it's the closest thing we have to a break room...

Originally Posted by TSORon
I have had a passenger bring a good sized package of powered gold through the checkpoint. As soon as my eyes widen upon seeing such a dense object (densest object I have ever seen on the x-ray) the passenger was already asking for a private screening. The bag could not have been any larger then my two hands but must have weighed 40 pounds. Ya gotta love experienced travelers. This guy said he travels every 6 months or so with packages like that, and loves to watch the face of the x-ray TSO. One finds entertainment where one can I guess.
Gotta love those soft dense metals... gold, silver, platinum and of course lead.

So advice to the ladies (including my mother :P) don't pack your necklaces and bracelets into a tiny jewelry bag because it's gonna get pulled with all that dense gold and silver inside. Because to us on the x-ray it looks like a big, black clump.

Also, rocks may get pulled... being from New England with out fine, historic, pristine beaches and our long maritime traditions. We know you love 'em and we don't mind if you take small stones, but humongous rocks should go in your checked baggage because we're not going to allow them in carry-on usually.

Same thing with bricks, (we've had a few people bring old bricks they've found lying around). 1) They generally look like somewhat like explosives. 2) Why do you need a brick on airplane. Again, I don't wanna be the PAX who gets his skulled cracked open should your bag come flying out of the overhead during a nasty bought of turbulence or if you drop it while your pulling it out of the bin.

And one last thing, going back to the beach for a second. Buoys you find on the beach belong to the fisherman who set them to find their traps, by taking those you're stealing. On top of that, we might take them because it depends on the TSO (generally STSO because it's just to strange to ask) who believes it could be used as a club.

Last edited by LoganTSO; Nov 30, 2009 at 5:50 am Reason: Adding more
Old Nov 30, 2009, 5:37 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by LoganTSO
Density.

It will happen at the checkpoint too. Jogging weights get pulled because the iron is just so thick it's just impossible to see through.

Same thing will barbells, and barbells will be generally be "prohibited" in the checkpoint for the most part, just because it's a good way to crack a skull open no matter what.

(I would not enjoy having a bag with a barbell falling out of an overhead bin and cracking my skull open nor would any of you I think.)

I'm just commenting here on checkpoint because unlike the other guys, I'm a checkpoint-only TSO. Although, I do hang out in our oversize room alot because it's the closest thing we have to a break room...
i thought all weights as you describe are prohibited and not "generally" prohibited . but besides that, why would anyone in their right mind want to schlepp bahbells? check the bag and be done with it but then again, to spin off of the first word of your post....some folks are just dense
Old Nov 30, 2009, 5:58 am

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by goalie
i thought all weights as you describe are prohibited and not "generally" prohibited . but besides that, why would anyone in their right mind want to schlepp bahbells? check the bag and be done with it but then again, to spin off of the first word of your post....some folks are just dense
More like wickid retahded.

But to be honest... Barbells aren't listed on the prohibited list that's why.
They should be, though.

In fact there should be a new addition to the prohibited items list.

Heavy, dense objects that could kill someone by their sheer weight.
Carry-on: NO
Checked: Yes
Old Nov 30, 2009, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by goalie
Well said.

We get the dang barbells all the time. The only thing that makes sense, and then very little, is that the owner is an endorphin junkie and cannot go 2 hours without pumping iron for that high. Madness, clear and simple.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by flyphilrun
Then maybe you should take the hint and pack it in your checked baggage and avoid the frustration?
And when someone decides to break into his luggage and steal his beloved tuning fork, who will step up and take responsibility for the theft?

No one. Because the airlines will say "don't put valuables in checked luggage, we don't take any responsibility". Or, the airlines will blame the TSA luggage screeners, and the TSA luggage screeners will blame the airline baggage handlers.

See, this is another one of the contradictions that makes airline travel so frustrating. TSA says "if it looks suspicious, put it in your checked bags". The airlines say "if it's valuable, don't put it in your checked bags". What are you supposed to do if it's valuable and looks suspicious?
Old Nov 30, 2009, 6:23 am

We get the dang barbells all the time. The only thing that makes sense, and then very little, is that the owner is an endorphin junkie and cannot go 2 hours without pumping iron for that high. Madness, clear and simple.
I can think of at least two other rational reasons.

1. Some airlines don't put a weight limit on carry-on luggage, but do put a weight limit on checked bags. If your checked bag is already close to the weight limit, it may make more financial sense to put the barbells in your carry-on to avoid having to check an extra bag. (This may also work even if your airline has a weight limit for carry-on luggage, as long as you don't have much other heavy stuff in your carry-on.)

2. As I noted in the post above ... the airlines are very clear about the fact that they take little-to-no responsibility for the security of luggage in transit. The only way to be assured that something will actually make it to your destination with you is to keep it with you at all times.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well said.

Another possibility is the person is trying to avoid overweight checked baggage fees.

I personally see no reason to lug around weights. Resistance bands and such can make a decent temporary substitute.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 7:12 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Salami has triggered a bag search for me. (domestic so not an Agriculture violation)
Old Nov 30, 2009, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by LoganTSO
Gotta love those soft dense metals... gold, silver, platinum and of course lead.

Also, rocks may get pulled... .

Same thing with bricks,.

Again, I don't wanna be the PAX who gets his skulled cracked open should your bag come flying out of the overhead during a nasty bought of turbulence or if you drop it while your pulling it out of the bin.
So 40 lbs of dense gold is permitted, but a less dense brick or rock is not? Would a gold brick be permitted? Or a rock with some gold in it?

(And I can think of some rocks that are considered more valuable than gold)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.