Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Things in checked luggage that look suspicious

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things in checked luggage that look suspicious

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2009, 1:01 pm

bring your own bottle

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
As with many things TSA-related ... it's the principle of the thing.

Need a beverage? Buy bottled water for $0.50 at home, or for $4 inside the checkpoint, because you can't bring that bottle of water through.....
So all these rules take money out of my pocket. And I resent that.
On my last three flights, I've taken an empty metal water bottle, and filled it up once I am past the security checkpoint. It has worked quite well. I make a point of having the bottle obviously unscrewed and out in a bin. They just gave it a quick glance (SFO, BOI, ATL). I want to experiment now with some of the flavor tablets I see at the supermarket.

I do think some of this is security theatre, but I also think the TSA is extremely sincere about its goals. I like that they they have adapted and improved over time. And they don't give a crap if you buy or don't buy water/yogurt inside, so it's your choice to spend that money.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 2:20 pm

Programs: WN, US, DL, AA
I've been stopped for having protein bars (Power Bar and ProMax) in a ziploc inside my luggage. Now I just pull it out so they can see it.

They're also not very fond of collapsible music stands; they admittedly look kinda sketchy when folded up. The TSA folks are always giddy when they watch me transform it into a music stand; Optimus Prime jokes are typical.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by TSORon
As for declaring, be careful there. Before one goes to the airport with their firearm please check the local laws. There are a few places where attempting to declare a firearm, even in checked baggage, will get one arrested. Any kind of firearm.
That's a true statement.

Depending on where you're traveling from and to, it's also a violation of Federal Law.

Another item that causes checked baggage to be searched: dried fruit.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by xtingu
They're also not very fond of collapsible music stands; they admittedly look kinda sketchy when folded up. The TSA folks are always giddy when they watch me transform it into a music stand; Optimus Prime jokes are typical.
Strings for musical instruments will get your checked luggage flagged if packed horizontally. Pack them upright and against the side of your bag to avoid trouble.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
Strings for musical instruments will get your checked luggage flagged if packed horizontally. Pack them upright and against the side of your bag to avoid trouble.
Wow, I would have never thought of that. Thanks for posting! I suppose they might look like wire coils which they essentially are.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:30 am

Exclamation Powders?

I am leaving for NY tomorrow (if I can get through the snowstorm). I have recently become addicted to some of those powders you put into your water that give you energy. In an effort to not spend twice as much while there, I wanted to pack them. They look like skinny prescription bottles. Will these be ok? I am also packing protein bars, drink mixes, and a bunch of 100 calorie bags of snacks. Will any of this be an issue? Any help would be appreciated. Feel free to email with an answer. Hanna dot willsey at gmail dot com. (I don't know if this website will let me spell out my email or not, sorry). Its my honeymoon and I just want everything to be great. I haven't flown in 3 years and everyone is telling me things are very different.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:44 am

Programs: AA Plat/1MM
Originally Posted by HanLuvr1
I am leaving for NY tomorrow (if I can get through the snowstorm). I have recently become addicted to some of those powders you put into your water that give you energy. In an effort to not spend twice as much while there, I wanted to pack them. They look like skinny prescription bottles. Will these be ok? I am also packing protein bars, drink mixes, and a bunch of 100 calorie bags of snacks. Will any of this be an issue? Any help would be appreciated. Feel free to email with an answer. Hanna dot willsey at gmail dot com. (I don't know if this website will let me spell out my email or not, sorry). Its my honeymoon and I just want everything to be great. I haven't flown in 3 years and everyone is telling me things are very different.
Things are, indeed, different. The Constitution is now being used as toilet paper by the TSA. Personally, I have brought energy powder in my carry on, as it cost more than twice as much at my destination. No problem. Your other listed items should be ok, although it will depend on how well trained the TSA clerk is. Good luck to you and enjoy your trip.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by TSORon
Taking a step back to reality....

Unless one is shipping their pet Elephant via FedEx then the cost really isnt all that bad. And if the object is valuable, precious, or has significant sentimental value to you then what are a few bucks?

Your welcome.
Because this is AMERICA! THE LAND OF THE FREE!!!

Last edited by Cholula; Dec 27, 2010 at 7:58 am Reason: Let's knock off the personal insults
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:32 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by Mr. Gel-pack
If my concept of false positive differs from that in the standard hypothesis testing, decision analysis and risk analysis literature, that is an error on my part, but it seems to me each time you make a decision you have an opportunity to make errors.
Sadly, Mr. Gel-pack, you're missing the point. Having studies statistics you are trying to deal with this issue as if it were rational. It is not, it is political. SATSO obviously does not know statistics, but seems to have an excellent grasp of politics. Nobody at TSA cares a whit about β (type 2 error, false positive) thus they merrily run endless tests and physical inspections as if they would reduce the incidence of α (type 1 error, false negative). The TSA cares only, I shout ONLY about type 1 error.

Because there are political risks the obvious and clear high correlations between actual presence of destructive capacity and factors the TSA will not examine make any form of statistical analysis useless. The very fact that high risk arenas such as freight were not even examined until very recently makes the point.

I wish it were different but we must accept that the government would p[refer to waste time for millions of citizens and tourists, spend scarce resources and employ tens of thousands of marginally qualified people rather than allow root cause analysis and decent probabilistic evaluations to play a part.

MTBF is fine for aircraft doors, and good statistical analysis explains why aircraft failures are so very rare that we hear about every one that happens anywhere in the world. It is not fine if the statistical analysis itself demonstrates the failure of the political process, as it does.

if I made all this any less dry, it would need to be in OMNI.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 7:05 am

Programs: Star Gold
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Sadly, Mr. Gel-pack, you're missing the point. Having studies statistics you are trying to deal with this issue as if it were rational. It is not, it is political. SATSO obviously does not know statistics, but seems to have an excellent grasp of politics. Nobody at TSA cares a whit about β (type 2 error, false positive) thus they merrily run endless tests and physical inspections as if they would reduce the incidence of α (type 1 error, false negative). The TSA cares only, I shout ONLY about type 1 error.

Because there are political risks the obvious and clear high correlations between actual presence of destructive capacity and factors the TSA will not examine make any form of statistical analysis useless. The very fact that high risk arenas such as freight were not even examined until very recently makes the point.

I wish it were different but we must accept that the government would p[refer to waste time for millions of citizens and tourists, spend scarce resources and employ tens of thousands of marginally qualified people rather than allow root cause analysis and decent probabilistic evaluations to play a part.

MTBF is fine for aircraft doors, and good statistical analysis explains why aircraft failures are so very rare that we hear about every one that happens anywhere in the world. It is not fine if the statistical analysis itself demonstrates the failure of the political process, as it does.

if I made all this any less dry, it would need to be in OMNI.
Excellent! An educated, rational person on the board who has reasoned informed opinions of what actually happens. I'll vote for you if you run for office, but I suspect you wouldn't win. The shouting, fear, and nonsense would drown you out.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 7:28 am

Programs: TSA TSO
Well, it depends... are you checking this bag in? Or are you carrying it on Hanna?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 7:45 am

Harmonicas evidently look suspicious - I had one in my backpack for awhile and it kept triggering manual searches.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a big jar of protein powder on my last flight, the outside of the jar got swabbed but that's it. No big deal.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA
Originally Posted by tfar
Thanks! One might want to bring a certain kind of soap that is not available in the destination country. Same for chocolate. BTW, interesting for the soap. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Why the weight thing? I mean I once had a big copper saute pan as a gift in my checked luggage. I was pretty certain they might pull it and indeed they did. Still it was very easy to see that it was a frying pan. You probably mean big metal objects not because of their weight (which the x-ray can't see) but because of their density, right?

What about powders? Say I wanted to bring 2lb of finely ground almond flour. Would that throw a flag?

Till
They would probably think it was drugs.

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
May have already been mentioned, but playing cards causes consternation for the checkers.

In Vegas, I had two boxes of playing cards (each box contained 12 or 24 packs, I can't recall which) in the bottom of my backpack. Caused the security line to be shut down for over an hour and a bomb/drug sniffing dog to be brought it to confirm that the playing cards were, well, playing cards.

Another fine example of TSA buffoonery and high-tech incompetence.
It probably didn't matter that you told them it was boxes of cards. They never listen anyway.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 29, 2010 at 10:16 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
More on FedEx: Before I cut my travel bookings by 99% [a practice I began October 29] I carried a lot of camera gear. TSA seemed never to be able to resolve it, despite the tens of millions of people who carry cameras onto aircraft. You'd think they'd know what lenses and shutter buttons look like by now. However, they think it's better to install ineffective imaging gear because its manufacturers funnel millions to our lawmakers - and waste taxpayer money, time, and various other resources, to treat all photographers like criminals.

Photo equipment is also expensive and very breakable, which is one reason I'd be damned before I'd shell out three figures to ship it FedEx when I'd already be paying plenty for an airline ticket which includes a baggage allowance, thank you very much.

Personally, I'm so thoroughly tired of being treated like scum [generally, but also] because I have the audacity! The nerve! To carry a camera & scuba gear on a vacation, that I only have have one scuba trip planned - usually I'd have four or so roundtrips booked this time of year.

the irony is that in all of my travels I have yet to have my rollaboard searched when i have my regs in them despite that they have to look like a device in the case based on how i coil the hoses. Then agian i have carried a steel in my carry-on without so much as a peep.
How recently was this? I get delayed/interrogated/accused/forced to disassemble my entire carryon EVERY time. Again, how hard is it to grasp the fact that hundreds of thousands of people carry scuba gear to island destinations every year? Oh, I know - a better idea is to assume that all of them are terrorists, and flush more taxpayer money down the toilet.

You know what? You guys win. I'll spend my money at home, or somewhere I can drive to. Luckily I'm quite close to Florida, so I don't have to let you make me give up scuba diving.

* Added later...*

You know, I woke up thinking about that last post this morning. It really nails something specific that bugs me about this whole issue...

Which is that the TSA seems not to realize the relationship of its aggressive practices with air travel as a whole. I don't think I'm alone in being angered by what appears to be the utter lack of common sense built into this methodology. People toting cameras and scuba gear to popular vacation destinations are treated as the enemy, and hundreds of millions of dollars are wasted on ineffective technology, while actual FBI field positions are being cut due to lack of funding? What the devil is wrong with this picture?

Also:

Why do you need a brick on airplane. Again, I don't wanna be the PAX who gets his skulled cracked open should your bag come flying out of the overhead during a nasty bought of turbulence or if you drop it while your pulling it out of the bin.
How on earth is it the TSA's business what I want to bring on a vacation somewhere? It's certainly not in TSA's mission statement to enforce carryon weight and composition. Frankly, I resent even the hint of the presumption that any TSO or staffer presumes to tell me what I can and can't carry anywhere I damn well please, without spectacularly good reason.

Here's the real irony: I'm your classic bleeding-heart liberal. I think government in general is a good thing and that unfair business practices ought to be regulated. At the risk of dragging this into OMNI I don't mind telling you I've voted for a Republican maybe two times in my life.

If the TSA is losing the hearts and minds of people like me? I think we're onto something here, folks.

Last edited by divemistressofthedark; Dec 28, 2010 at 12:13 pm Reason: Merge posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.