Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help for US passport holder

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Help for US passport holder

Emergency query, sorry if asked already. My son has flight to Peru at 12:30 Sunday, less than 4 hrs from now. Just discovered his passport expires Feb 17, 2015. Will he still be able to enter country? Most countries require 6 months validity but the only thing we found when searching for answer is "valid passport at time of entry"?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:45 am

You do know that you can schedule an emergency in-person appointment at one of the PP Agency and still get it back in time?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SPYDER67
You do know that you can schedule an emergency in-person appointment at one of the PP Agency and still get it back in time?
Flight in today, in 3+ hrs. so nothing to do now.

We just cancelled booking and made PP agency appointment for Jan 21st, Wed to get 24 hr turn-around. He'll pay the penalties and fly out next weekend (and learn a lesson ).

Thanks.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:15 am

Your son will be okay as long as he departs Peru before his passport expires since Peru is a member of the "6 month club."

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...chine-readable)

Although the page above is supposed to be for visitors to the US, the agreement is reciprocal.

- Sorry, couldn't sign up for the forum fast enough to answer your question in time!

Last edited by J312; Jan 18, 2015 at 7:25 am
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:15 am
Original Poster

As things turned out, roads shut down due to ice, many flights cancelled already so no penalty for his change of itinerary to next weekend. In meantime he'll get expedite renewal of passport this week.

Thanks to all.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
As an FYI to others....

You should call your local state senator or congresspersons office in this situation. Many have a special desk/person to handle this.

I had an issue with a family members expired passport. [massive roll eyes...I TOLD you to check it!!!] Called the office- they asked for two things: make an appointment on line, any appointment at all. Fill out this form letter that essentially says "i give you permission to speak to Department of State on my behalf" and fax it back to me ASAP. (Next available online appt was the week we were due to return.)

That afternoon we got a call saying "show up at the SFO passport office tomorrow before 12noon with photos and the completed application. They will have a renewal done by the end of the day (4PM or so) you can pick it up.

It was shockingly good service from an elected official. Utterly shocking.

Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:35 pm

Nice to know about calling our state rep.
My son discovered his passport was expired the evening before his trip to Mexico for a bachelor party. He was able to make an appt at the passport office in Philly. He lives in NYC.
The next morning, he took an early train to Philly, had a 30 minute delay midway because someone was walking on the tracks and arrived at the passport office late for his appt.
He spoke to the counter person, explained his situation and said his flight was to leave in 2 hours from Philly. There were lots of people sitting waiting. Just as he was going to sit down, his name was called, he submitted all his documents, and he was out of the office with a brand new passport in 35 minutes.
I am sure he had to pay dearly for a change in ticket but he learned a lesson.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.