Peru trip (8 nights)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Peru trip (8 nights)

I am planning following trip to Cusco, Machu Picchu and Lima:

Saturday 4/26
  • Arrive in Cusco late morning and stay for two nights.
  • City tour on arrival, Pisac market and Sacred Valley tour the next day.

Monday 4/28
  • Take an early morning train to Aguas Calientes and stay for two nights.
  • Visit MP in the afternoon. The next day as well.

Wednesday 4/30
  • Take the train back to Cusco and stay for two nights.
  • Visit..?

Friday 5/2
  • Fly to Lima and stay for two nights.
  • Explore the city.

Sunday 5/4
  • Fly back home.
Is this too much Cusco and too much Aguas Calientes? Maybe I should stay only one night in AC?. The train back to Cusco departs pretty late (4 pm). Or perhaps just do a day trip to Machu Picchu from Cusco?
Anything else I should see in addition to the Sacred Valley and Pisac? Any other suggestions?

Last edited by Dieuwer; Jan 16, 2014 at 11:45 am
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
There are other threads in this forum that you should check out for sample itineraries. 4 nights in CUZ is a bit much IMO. If you want to visit the SV, it's better to book a hotel there instead of coming over from CUZ.

Are you planning to spend 2 days in MP? I think one full day from AC is sufficient.

2 nights in LIM should be enough to catch the major sights.

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BayAreaTraveler
There are other threads in this forum that you should check out for sample itineraries. 4 nights in CUZ is a bit much IMO. If you want to visit the SV, it's better to book a hotel there instead of coming over from CUZ.

Are you planning to spend 2 days in MP? I think one full day from AC is sufficient.

2 nights in LIM should be enough to catch the major sights.

Have a great trip!
I read the other threads in this forum, but most trips seem to be much shorter and geared towards couples. I am a single guy traveling and I do not want to be bored in the evenings in some tiny hamlet.
Now I think about it, staying one night in AC could be enough. Or perhaps take the train back-and-forth from CUZ that gives me 6 hours at MP. Maybe a bit rushed though.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL FO, WN AL
I did a trip to Peru in May (as a youngish couple). We spent 4 nights in Ollantaytambo and 3 nights in Cuzco and didn't do Lima. It was pretty much perfect for us. However, I could see how Olly may not be ideal for a single guy.

If I were doing it as a solo-trip for 8 days, I would 100% do a trek to Machu Picchu. Based on my research, I'd opt for the Salcantay Trek rather than the Inca Trail.

Saturday 4/26
Arrive Cuzco - Explore Cuzco

Sunday 4/27
Transport to Ollantaytambo -- Visit Moray, Maras and Chinchero on the way

I'd stay at Hostal Iskay.

Monday 4/28
4 Day Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu

Friday May 2
Explore Machu Picchu
Train back to Cuzco

Saturday May 3
Flight to Lima
Explore Lima

Sunday May 4
Flight Home
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL FO, WN AL
Basically what I'm saying is make time for a trek. I think your time would be better served this way than spending extended time in Aguas Calientes, Ollantay, Cuzco or Lima.

If you were going as a couple, however, my advice would be completely different.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I read the other threads in this forum, but most trips seem to be much shorter and geared towards couples. I am a single guy traveling and I do not want to be bored in the evenings in some tiny hamlet.
Now I think about it, staying one night in AC could be enough. Or perhaps take the train back-and-forth from CUZ that gives me 6 hours at MP. Maybe a bit rushed though.
One night in AC will be enough otherwise you will be bored in some tiny hamlet. I did not find AC to be appealing at all so I would minimize/avoid the stay. When I went, I did a day trip and spent about 4-5 hours on MP. It was enough time for me to walk around the ruins. I didn't feel rushed but it was a packed day (early morning and late afternoon/evening train).

CUZ is the biggest city in the region so if you're looking for things to do that's probably where you'll want to be, though LIM is probably your best bet for nightlife. You might want to check out some discotecas. 8 nights seem quite a bit for just LIM/CUZ/MP unless you're doing the Inca Trail and there are many other sights/places in Peru besides LIM/MP... this coming from the perspective of a single guy.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BayAreaTraveler
One night in AC will be enough otherwise you will be bored in some tiny hamlet. I did not find AC to be appealing at all so I would minimize/avoid the stay. When I went, I did a day trip and spent about 4-5 hours on MP. It was enough time for me to walk around the ruins. I didn't feel rushed but it was a packed day (early morning and late afternoon/evening train).
I don't mind a packed day, I am just wondering if 5 hours is enough for MP.

CUZ is the biggest city in the region so if you're looking for things to do that's probably where you'll want to be, though LIM is probably your best bet for nightlife. You might want to check out some discotecas. 8 nights seem quite a bit for just LIM/CUZ/MP unless you're doing the Inca Trail and there are many other sights/places in Peru besides LIM/MP... this coming from the perspective of a single guy.
Not planning to do the Inca Trail Trek.

Maybe a better itinerary would be 3 nights Cusco (Saturday - Monday), 1 night AC (Tuesday), back to Cusco on Wednesday evening, the next day to Lima (Thursday - Saturday), and flying back home Saturday night or Sunday morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.