Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Is Huber's in Portland a good place for dinner?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2009, 7:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

My Father and I are riding the Coast Starlight from LA to Portland next month. I was looking for dinner restaurants near Union Station and I found this one:

http://www.hubers.com/

Can anyone confirm if it's a good place for dinner?
Old Sep 16, 2009, 4:11 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Hubers is quite good, one of the better restaurants in town and a legend and an institution. They serve Thanksgiving dinner every day of the year (great roast turkey) and also have noteworthy coleslaw. Very traditional, lots of polished wood and often busy (can be a wait for a table sometimes).

The other great place for dinner is Bluehour (sort of the opposite end of the spectrum from Hubers) but a bit further from the station.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 8:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I ate at Hubers back in April during a biz trip to Portland. It was excellent!!!! I don't eat red meat, which worked perfectly there, I believe all the dishes that have meat have turkey. The prices were also very reasonable.

And if you stay at the Embassy Suites (which I'd also recommend), it is a very easy walk.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thank you both for confirming this restaurant as a good time.

I had the turkey/ham dinner with potatoes and stuffing and my Father the steamers. We both really enjoyed the meal (including the pumpkin pie dessert!) and this will be a usual place of mine from now on when in Portland.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
Thank you both for confirming this restaurant as a good time.

I had the turkey/ham dinner with potatoes and stuffing and my Father the steamers. We both really enjoyed the meal (including the pumpkin pie dessert!) and this will be a usual place of mine from now on when in Portland.
Glad you liked it. But, trust me, you can do so much better when you're here. Short, short list:

1. Pok Pok--world class Thai
2. Toro Bravo--tapas with a NW twist
3. Laurelhurst Market--indie-modern steakhouse
4. Ping--pan-SE Asian from same owner as Pok Pok
5. Le Pigeon--meat-centric Franco-strange cuisine
6. Biwa--Japanese izakaya (hearty drinking food)
7. Metrovino--refined wine bar cuisine
8. Beaker & Flask--creative cocktails with killer eats
9. food carts--in clumps downtown, SE and NE
10. Apizza Scholls--New Haven/Neopolitan-ish pies worth waiting for and people do every night
11. Podnah's --Texas-style BBQ. Lotsa smoke, minimal sauce
12. Park Kitchen--NW high-style creative in casual setting
13. Fire on the Mountain--Buffalo-style wings to die for, esp. if you try the fiery El Jefe variety
14. Cool Moon--you gotta have some excellent, real ice cream
15. Kenny & Zuke's--Jewish deli w/ housemade pastrami and bagels, among other goodies (disclosure: I own a small part of this operation)

There you have it.

--mcz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.