Varig Brasil Airpass North-East
Available from 01-Jan-2003
Valid on Four routes from Fortaleza, Recife or Salvador

Interline Varig Brasil Airpass
Available from 01-Mar-2003
5-9 Coupons
Travel to Brasil on any airline
Old Mar 25, 2003, 8:10 am

Would it be possible to use the Varig Airpass to make a mileage run domestic Brazil?

Found some info on star-alliance.com(the old page).

A 9-coupon itinerary may cover more than 13,000 miles of travel in Brazil in the course of a maximum duration of 21 days, and there are more than 15,000 flights to choose from within this timeframe. At US$899 plus applicable taxes this is indeed value for money !

-I am sure some of us FTers will find a way to earn much more then 13000 miles

Any number between 4 and 9 flight coupons - if a certain destination cannot be reached using one flight, up to two connections are possible at selected airports counting as one flight only

-Very intresting. Have I understood it correctly if I can fly XXX-YYY-WWW and it counts as only one coupon as long as there is no direct flights between XXX-WWW?
Old Mar 25, 2003, 8:39 am

I had nothing to do so I came up with this suggestion. Not sure if it would work according to the rules or not(Will check rules tomorrow if I can find them somewhere).

1 Rio-Manaus-Tabatinga

2 Tabatinga-Manaus-Iguacu

3 Iguacu-Sao Paolo-Manaus-Boa vista

4 Boa vista-Manaus-Brasilia

5 Brasilia-Fortaleza

6 Fortaleza-Sao Paolo

7 Sao-Cuiaba-Rio Branco-Cruzeiro

8 Cruizero-Rio Branco-Cuiaba

9 Cuiaba-Brasilia-Salvador

After the Baht Run, BC Run and Curry Run. Will this be the new Soccer Run?
Old Mar 26, 2003, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Well, as the Airpass page on Varig's website is "being updated", it is not possible to see the new rules. However, I expect them to expressly forbid such itineraries, just as the old airpass rules did.

The old rules said for example: 5 coupons = 5 segments with the only exception being you could (twice only) pass through certain cities with 2 segments on one coupon.

With the old rules, it was impossible to build creative mileage earning itineraries, but still a great deal if you want to travel in Brazil.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 5:47 pm

isn't it just a lot cheaper buying a *A RTW lite for about US$1380 and getting 26,000 miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.