Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent Allegiant Experiences ????

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile Recent Allegiant Experiences ????

Oh Wise Allegiant Flyertalkers,

First time posting in "Other North & South American Airlines" venue.

I just snagged a short notice $179 R/T ticket CVG-PGD-CVG on Allegiant. This was about 1/3 the cost of CVG-SRQ-CVG or CVG-RSW-CVG on Delta or United (my preferred carriers). I have flown Allegiant in the past and despite all the ala carte charges (seat select, carry on bag, early boarding) I have been satisfied with their service.

As it has been 2 years since I last flew them, can anyone give me some recent Allegiant Travel experiences, with heavy emphasis on June/July 2022 flight delays and cancellations in/out of Florida.

Thanks
Old Aug 15, 2022, 8:16 am

Allegiant is perfectly fine until they have to handle IROPS. If it's a route with daily service or something you might be okay but if it's a service that's only once a week, you can get stuck somewhere for multiple days.
wjm7733 likes this.

Last edited by tys90; Aug 15, 2022 at 8:23 am
Old Aug 15, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3
Ha feeling the IROPS hard right now. Last flight of season FCA-LAX cancelled with no rebooking offered. Was told max customer service might be able to authorize given inability to rebook for the last minute expenses is $200 visa gift card, TBD
Old Aug 15, 2022, 9:28 am

When was the flight cancelled -- day of departure or in advance? Allegiant will cut flights in advance if they aren't profitable. At least that gives you a chance to make other arrangements (likely at a higher cost than Allegiant). However they tend to prefer to delay (often substantially) and operate profitable flights instead of canceling them on the day of departure.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by tys90
Allegiant is perfectly fine until they have to handle IROPS. If it's a route with daily service or something you might be okay but if it's a service that's only once a week, you can get stuck somewhere for multiple days.
TYS90- Thanks for your reply. I had a surprisingly good Allegiant Experience flying on Aug 13 from CVG to PGD. I was assigned seat 29D but as the last 2 rows were empty the Flight Attendants said I could re-seat. I had row 30 D-E-F to myself. The flight showed a 25 minute delay, however, the CVG ground staff turned around the arriving flight in the fastest time I have ever seen. The aircraft was clean and the crew was very nice and professional. The seats suck, plain and simple, but even at 6' tall and 235 Lbs, my knees did not touch the seat in front of me. These seats are the hard plastic shelled "slim line" seats that are similar to those on domestic flights operated by United and Lufthansa. There is absolutely NO seat pouch in front of you !!! There is a 1/2 inch slot for the safety placard and in flight magazine. NOTHING else will fit there. I understand the pitch restrictions (about 30") to accommodate more passengers, but why are the seats only 17" wide when the standard on the A320 is 18" ??? The real joy of the 1:55 hour flight was arriving at PGD. This was my first experience flying into PGD and I found the airport to be very good and convenient to Venice. But what was truly amazing was the deplaning thru both the front and rear doors. This made sitting in row 30 a little less burdensome !!! Overall I found Allegiant to be a good value for the money. I am a "United Guy" and prefer United but at $495 (CVG-RSW-CVG) vs Allegiant $179 round trip CVG-PGD-CVG , I can't help but take the cheaper alternative. Hope to provide a trip report on my PGD-CVG flight on Aug 16.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 1:53 pm
Original Member

I fly Allegiant about every two weeks as a non-rev because my SO is active crew. I have not had a cancellation in 2022, but I agree that the biggest issue with IROPS is the infrequent schedule, so we always have backup plans at the ready. Fortunately from St Pete, there are 4 Allegiant airports within 2 hours (PIE, SRQ, PGD, SFB) so I can try another one if something bad happens. You can often get last-minute airport-to-airport one way rental cars very cheaply (but sometimes not at all).
Old Sep 8, 2022, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Smile G4 PGD-CVG

HI ALL ALLEGIANT FLYERS,

Just a quick Trip Report for my PGD-CVG trip on 8/16. I cannot over emphasize the convenience of the PGD airport, especially when traveling out of Venice, FL. It seems that Venice to PGD by car is way faster than SRQ. Is there any chance Allegiant would start service into the Venice, FL airport ?? TSA Security at PGD was a breeze and they do have TSA PRE lanes. No lounges at PGD but there are plenty of places to sit and there are some food/beverage vendors. Boarding at PGD was efficient and without issues. The A320 aircraft for the PGD-CVG flight was clean and the crew was friendly. This flight was nearly completely full but I ended up with a window seat with an empty middle seat next to me. Not surprisingly, the seat quality sucked just as bad as the seat on my CVG-PGD flight, however it was bearable for the 2 hour flight. This flight arrived about 20 minutes early in to CVG. CVG airport was as a Ghost Town and I found my car in the Parking Garage and was out of the airport in a few minutes. The parking fees at CVG were almost the same as the round trip airfare that I paid Allegiant. The only other complaint I have with Allegiant is there completely dysfunctional website. I tried to buy and upgrade at check in and after 12 tries, I gave up. In addition, I have yet to complete a purchase at the Website using my Amex Card.

Boarding at PGD, 8/16/22
Old Sep 9, 2022, 2:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I flew them AZA-LAS last November and GSO-SFB this March. Both flights were on time. On both flights I bought an exit row seat and was comfortable. If you buy an exit row you have a decent chance at an empty middle too, I did on GSO-SFB.

They're perfectly fine if you know what you're getting into. I do suggest buying an exit row seat though. I think it helps.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
bumping this thread with a reminder that if you go in with correct expectations, they're fine.

they're awful, if you need any kind of customer service whatsoever and don't have hours to wait on hold, but fine if everything goes smoothly.

if you have the allegiant world mastercard--not a good fit for most, but we're flyer talkers, after all--you may get faster customer service by using the dedicated line if your needs fall within the hours they're open, m-f 5a-8p pacific, sat 8-12noon pacific.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 3:36 pm

They are a perfectly fine airline, notwithstanding "studies" (and the ensuing "articles") calling them one of the worst airlines in the world. If nothing else, it's a humorous read: https://usebounce.com/blog/2022-airline-index
Old Nov 25, 2022, 12:10 pm
Original Member

Lots of "studies" out there, some are from actual customer satisfaction research companies instead of a travel blogger looking for likes. JD Power & Associates rated them 4th for economy in 2022, higher than United and American.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-a...d-power-2022-5
jjbiv likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Flight delayed by a day

Flight from FLL to MDT late this afternoon moved to tomorrow morning no captain. Only days they had 12 hotel rooms those living 50 miles within airport don’t qualify.
There are thousands of hotel rooms in the area should have availability to get rooms for 150 people if required. Such a mess at the gate agent no clear I would just get a hotel and ask for a refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.