Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

Kenya Airways - is the promotion too good to be true?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2023, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Hello

I’ve recently been looking into the Kenya Airways Acente program as I’m looking for a good Skyteam frequent flyer program. After signing up, I got the following promotion:

“Please see your Progress status below! For Silver Earn 6,000 status points or 5 flights; For Gold Earn 14,000 status points or 8 flights; For Platinum Earn 24,000 status points or 14 flights. This Special offer is valid till 30 September 2023.“

My question is as follows; do the flights for the promotion have to be Kenya Airways flights, or can they be any Skyteam member flight? It seems too good to be true for it to be any Skyteam flight, but I just want to make sure if anyone has a concrete answer.

thank you!
Old Aug 11, 2023, 1:49 am

Programs: Eurobonus
I would just email them and ask, but presumably it's SkyTeam. They are eager to build an elite base. They offer status matches, I'm waiting right now for confirmation for getting Gold in Asante (SkyTeam Elite Plus), due to my *G.

I think the pogram is a bit problematic:

* You earn less points when in lower tiers, so it's quite difficult to reach a higher tier, but easier to maintain it -> Sounds like "loyalty"
* Once you reached Gold, there is really no extra benefit to reach Platinum.

So if you're very loyal, they give you...nothing
Old Aug 14, 2023, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Jetboi
I would just email them and ask, but presumably it's SkyTeam. They are eager to build an elite base. They offer status matches, I'm waiting right now for confirmation for getting Gold in Asante (SkyTeam Elite Plus), due to my *G.

I think the pogram is a bit problematic:

* You earn less points when in lower tiers, so it's quite difficult to reach a higher tier, but easier to maintain it -> Sounds like "loyalty"
* Once you reached Gold, there is really no extra benefit to reach Platinum.

So if you're very loyal, they give you...nothing

The website is a little vague. I'm not sure if the programme has yet established full reciprocal relationships with other SkyTeam members. There could be a long "bedding in" period, as we saw with Volare.

Still, fingers crossed .....
Jetboi likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I would assume that it's for Kenya Airways flights only (after quitting Flying Blue and going to the bother of setting up their own FFP, they're probably more interested now in getting you used to flying on KQ than on having this promotion benefit AF, KL, DL and the other Skyteam airlines instead of KQ directly....)

Besides, people are reporting difficulty getting their Asante number recognised by other Skyteam airlines, so the surest way right now to actually have miles/flights post to your account is to fly on KQ flights.

Please ask Asante Rewards and let us know what they say!

(Do you have status elsewhere? You can simply request a status match, which is a far easier way to get status rather than flying 5/8/14 sectors in the next 7 weeks!)
Old Aug 16, 2023, 2:29 am

Programs: Eurobonus
Wrt missing recognition: To me, it looks like more an organizational or IT lag/priority thing. AF/KLM seems to recognize (shared solution), while the very similar Delta/Virgin solutions don't.

ITA - this is a bit different story as they were up for sale with other alliance bidders.

Anyway, I'm soon to receive my status match, but it's still an open question what they will match to as there's inconsistency here.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: TP *S | FB Silver | LH
Just got confirmation from KQ of my status match.
They matched my TP *S to Asante Silver (ST Elite).
I may give KL a try on my next work flights and see how this goes.
As this is still quite fresh, I can see some teething issues for the foreseeable future.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 8:55 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, AY Gold, FB Gold, BT VIP
It is too good to be true. I got my platinum status matched to KQ platinum. Although KL and AF recognise KQ status, KQ itself has no clue how to handle mileage claims. The claims page requires the ticket number and airports flown from and to. The site creates an error if the flight (AF) is on a different airline than the booking (KL). Worse, even the most common airports (ARN, HEL) don't show op in the menu. After two months, zero miles have been credited to my KQ account. So I'm taking my loss and move back to flying blue.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 9:00 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Originally Posted by aufmatt
It is too good to be true. I got my platinum status matched to KQ platinum. Although KL and AF recognise KQ status, KQ itself has no clue how to handle mileage claims. The claims page requires the ticket number and airports flown from and to. The site creates an error if the flight (AF) is on a different airline than the booking (KL). Worse, even the most common airports (ARN, HEL) don't show op in the menu. After two months, zero miles have been credited to my KQ account. So I'm taking my loss and move back to flying blue.
Probably some teething troubles. It may be worth a try (and tedious) to send your scanned BPs to [email protected] - the old way!
How many flights in total do you want to retroclaim?
Old Oct 13, 2023, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red
Probably some teething troubles. It may be worth a try (and tedious) to send your scanned BPs to [email protected] - the old way!
to every email I sent, I get the following standard response:You recently requested personal assistance from our on-line Support Centre. Below is a summary of your request and our response. Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Thank you for contacting Kenya Airways.

Kindly note sadly we cannot accrue points from the sent ticket because the frequent flyer number on the ticket is not for Asante. Once booking a ticket please include an Asante number to enable us to accrue the points. Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

For accrual of the sent ticket please contact flying blue.

Thank you for choosing Asante Loyalty.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by aufmatt
to every email I sent, I get the following standard response:You recently requested personal assistance from our on-line Support Centre. Below is a summary of your request and our response. Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Thank you for contacting Kenya Airways.

Kindly note sadly we cannot accrue points from the sent ticket because the frequent flyer number on the ticket is not for Asante. Once booking a ticket please include an Asante number to enable us to accrue the points. Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

For accrual of the sent ticket please contact flying blue.

Thank you for choosing Asante Loyalty.
What frequent flier number/program did you have on there?
Old Mar 5, 2024, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
What frequent flier number/program did you have on there?
Asante. LOL.

Anyway, back with Flying Blue.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 11:44 pm

Asante seems not to be recognized. Tried to put it in my Vietnam Airlines ticket and didn't work. Even though the dropdown gives Kenya as an option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.