Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience with Ethiopian ADD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Experience with Ethiopian ADD

Any advice or experience when connecting through ADD because the award ticket I’m looking at jro to ord only has a 1 hour connect which makes me a little sheepish. Any advice is welcome.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Dannylingen
Any advice or experience when connecting through ADD because the award ticket I’m looking at jro to ord only has a 1 hour connect which makes me a little sheepish. Any advice is welcome.
Welcome to Flyertalk! I am not sure this is the thread where you will get the input you need. Please check out this thread:

ADD / Addis Ababa Bole International Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers

I had a four-hour connection earlier this year and it was in the busy hour window between 10 pm and 2 am, and I heard morning is also quite busy. It took me a whole to go through the security check during the busy hours.

Pending on what airlines you fly, there are two terminals and remote gates are often used.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Aug 4, 2019 at 10:12 pm
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan, ShebaMiles, SkyMiles
Tight connections at ADD are very do-able... So long as your inbound is on-time you should have no problem. If the inbound is delayed or connections are tight, ET often has staff waiting to whisk you off to your next flight. Seeing as how you are going to the USA though, you probably won't be able to skip the security checks as I have often seen happen on North America/EU to Africa connections. The North American flights are usually sectioned off in their own area with a couple gates (3 of them maybe?) which makes it a bit easier as there are fewer passengers to process and they can easily move you through to the front of the line if needed.

If you have *G status you will have a dedicated security line and dedicated document check counter, which takes no time to go through.

The JRO flight will have a lot of folks making connections. I would just try to get a seat near the front for deplaning and, if parked at a remote gate, try to get on the first bus to the terminal.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Thank you for this helpful informational we all in the first row currently sadly I’ll only be plat so no separate line.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan, ShebaMiles, SkyMiles
Thank you for this helpful informational we all in the first row currently sadly I’ll only be plat so no separate line.
Plat as in Platinum status on a Star Alliance partner? (guessing United) - If so, then you would also be eligible for the separate line for *G/Cloud Nine (business) passengers
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:48 pm

The one hour connection is very doable. I travel often through ADD with tight connections. The staff will meet you as you disembark from the plane and make sure you get on your connecting flight. No worries. The baggage will also reach your destination with you.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
These super short connections are actually one area I find that ET shines. As long as your plane is on the ground before the other flight closes its doors (which seems to never be right on time) then you'll make it. I've been the beneficiary of their service twice since the (former) NRT-HKG-ADD flight was perpetually late. But even times when I had plenty of time to connect, I always saw the ET staff meeting the plane to whisk people off on short connections, typically they'll either have a sign for your destination and/or be shouting it as you exit the plane.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: Oneworld Sapphire (QR Gold), SkyTeam Elite Plus (ITA Volare)
It's been a while since any news about the airport expansion / new terminal building... Is ADD still the same old?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
expanded and new terminal is operational. however, old terminal is still in use and that is where transit security is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.