Revival of Uganda Airlines

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Revival of Uganda Airlines

Uganda has purchased 4 new airplanes per todays New Vision newspaper. 4 CRJ100's and two A330's. It will take two years for the A330's to arrive.

Uganda Airlines shut down 17 years ago.
Old May 17, 2018, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Uganda Airlines shut down 17 years ago.
While this is true, "Air Uganda" (which was its supposed successor as the national airline and backed by the Aga Khan) operated until 2014.
Old May 17, 2018, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
It will take two years for the A330's to arrive.
I hope the passengers will be adequately compensated for the lengthy delays on arrival!
Flame3601 likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:13 pm

I believe it when it happens.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uganda has purchased 4 new airplanes per todays New Vision newspaper. 4 CRJ100's and two A330's. It will take two years for the A330's to arrive.
Have they "purchased" them on entered into a lease agreement with manufacturer/aircraft leasing company?
Have they put down a non-refundable hard cash deposit?
Has Uganda airlines (or what ever the new airline is called) got any real money?
nancypants likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 4:44 pm

According to Works and Transport minister Eng Monica Ntege Azuba the four aircraft of Bombardier will have 80-100 passenger chauffeur capacity. Government will later purchase two Airbus A330 series 800 wide - twin engine propeller aircraft. These will have a 300 sitting capacity each.
http://observer.ug/news/headlines/57...-december.html
Old May 17, 2018, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Have they "purchased" them on entered into a lease agreement with manufacturer/aircraft leasing company?
Have they put down a non-refundable hard cash deposit?
Has Uganda airlines (or what ever the new airline is called) got any real money?
From what I read, they put down $1.5 million hard cash deposit. But I don't know if that was with Airbus or Bombardier. They said they visited the factories and saw their airplanes being built so that sounds like a direct deal to me. The government has allocated $400 million to the airline plus they will publicly list it for investors. They are already training staff, the article said.
Old May 19, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by B747-437B
two Airbus A330 series 800 wide - twin engine propeller aircraft.
A world first!

The chauffeur capacity of those Bombardier planes is also quite impressive. Will they all be seated in the cockpit, or will they have to take turns?

Johan
narvik and nancypants like this.
Old May 19, 2018, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

..... The government has allocated $400 million to the airline plus they will publicly list it for investors....
Would need to be brave investors.

Warren Buffet on airlines. http://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/.../#1076bc607dc7
Nevertheless, over the past two decades Buffett has made a series of widely reported repudiations of airline investing, including this statement from a 2002 interview with the London newspaper The Telegraph: “If a capitalist had been present at Kitty Hawk back in the early 1900s, he should have shot Orville Wright. He would have saved his progeny money. But seriously, the airline business has been extraordinary. It has eaten up capital over the past century like almost no other business because people seem to keep coming back to it and putting fresh money in. You’ve got huge fixed costs, you’ve got strong labor unions and you’ve got commodity pricing. That is not a great recipe for success. I have an 800 (free call) number now that I call if I get the urge to buy an airline stock. I call at two in the morning and I say: ‘My name is Warren and I’m an aeroholic.’ And then they talk me down.”
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Scheduled to start operating next spring! (if you believe what you read in the papers)

Uganda's National Airline to start flying in March 2019 - National | NTV
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Scheduled to start operating next spring! (if you believe what you read in the papers)
Uganda's National Airline to start flying in March 2019 - National | NTV
So will they be flying that B707 shown in the link above?

The State Minister of planning David Bahati has revealed that Uganda Airlines will officially be launched between March and April 2019.
<snip>
Its projections were that some Shs1.4 trillion would be good enough to get the project off the ground.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uganda_Airlines
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Aha, I wasn't aware of this.

Now I see why Uganda feels they have to have an airline. It's one thing that wealthy Kenya has their own airline, and Rwanda, but if Tanzania is getting Dreamliners then that's a line crossed for Uganda.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:23 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Aha, I wasn't aware of this.

https://twitter.com/BoeingAirplanes/...92375996846080

Now I see why Uganda feels they have to have an airline. It's one thing that wealthy Kenya has their own airline, and Rwanda, but if Tanzania is getting Dreamliners then that's a line crossed for Uganda.
I can’t help but notice the striking resemblance of Air Tanzania’s logo to that of loss-making Kenya Airways
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clubeurope

loss-making Kenya Airways
Hey KQ hasn't always been loss-making. It's just been a run of poor management in the last few years.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:18 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Hey KQ hasn't always been loss-making. It's just been a run of poor management in the last few years.
but, in fairness it is making relatively significant losses for the past few years, quite unfortunately.

I do hope for the best for KQ, and TC for that matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.