Wiki Posts
Search

Revival of Uganda Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2019, 3:56 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Originally Posted by stimpy
How long can KQ stay in business?
When Air Uganda collapsed, they held monopoly on this route and used to charge up to $400 for a rtn trip.
All these little EA airlines should merge in the future. Do you think the market will grow enough to keep all of them?
Old Sep 28, 2019, 3:58 pm

Promotional fares will run for two months;

Bujumbura Return USD 292

All inclusive of taxes
Has any one flown them very recently?
About to book in December an Entebbe (EBB) - Bujumbura (BJM) in eco one way.
I tried to use my Amex on the usual truthworthy OTAs but some, if not all of them, display a funny currency:

- Flight operated by UTAir (Russian airlines)
- Aforementioned fares were usd 60 above the min prices (changeable or not?) suggested on Ugandairlines.com.

What do you suggest?
(other than flying RwandAir or KQ or even for the hardcore fans of ET... )

Since the new flight is planned for Monday ( 30/09), with new aircraft to be delivered, how likely Uganda Airlines might cancel flight to this Government/NGO driven destination in the near future?

Last edited by flying_blue_white_red; Sep 28, 2019 at 4:03 pm
Old Sep 29, 2019, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red
Has any one flown them very recently?
About to book in December an Entebbe (EBB) - Bujumbura (BJM) in eco one way.
I tried to use my Amex on the usual truthworthy OTAs but some, if not all of them, display a funny currency:

- Flight operated by UTAir (Russian airlines)
No experience on these flights or even booking them, but this mixup of the operating airline must be related to the fact that Uganda Airlines' IATA airline code UR earlier belonged to UTair Express, which has been defunct since 2015 and its operations have been merged with the parent UTair.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I don't believe it is possible to purchase from an OTA yet. Only from the Uganda Airlines website or at the offices in Entebbe or Kampala. Personally I would only buy physically from the office until they get hooked up with the OTA's.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 4:35 am

I don't believe it is possible to purchase from an OTA yet. Only from the Uganda Airlines website or at the offices in Entebbe or Kampala. Personally I would only buy physically from the office until they get hooked up with the OTA's.
UR has been active for plating with GP/275 via all OTAs since the launch day. Full BSP and ARC coverage.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747-437B
UR has been active for plating with GP/275 via all OTAs since the launch day. Full BSP and ARC coverage.
OK, but the airline itself said that you could only buy direct from them for now. Unless that has changed in the last couple weeks. Or unless they are confused. Again, I would buy direct at one of their offices for now to be safe. Assuming you are already in Uganda.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 6:20 am

OK, but the airline itself said that you could only buy direct from them for now. Unless that has changed in the last couple weeks. Or unless they are confused. Again, I would buy direct at one of their offices for now to be safe. Assuming you are already in Uganda.
They are also correct. UR doesn't sell directly to consumers via this, but instead via GP/275 (APG). There has been lots of publicity and adverts in the travel trade about this.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 2:46 pm

Sure, thanks a ton Stimpy! ^
You've previously mentioned that the promo fares will be only available for 2 months, do you know from when up to when exactly?
Old Sep 29, 2019, 2:53 pm

Personally I would only buy physically from the office until they get hooked up with the OTA's.
Would you not buy through their website? What's wrong with that?
Old Sep 29, 2019, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sure, thanks a ton Stimpy! ^
You've previously mentioned that the promo fares will be only available for 2 months, do you know from when up to when exactly?
Two monts from when I posted it.

And I would simply not trust entering my credit card on the site at this time.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 3:34 pm

Two monts from when I posted it.

And I would simply not trust entering my credit card on the site at this time.
Glad to read this quick answer Stimpy, 4 days to make up our mind seem really short....

Their website upgrade warning doesn't help to be honest but in Kigali there is no Uganda Airline office yet even if the route should be launched soon - Air Uganda one could be found in the past though at UTC but - obviously - has been closed for ages, so not very useful.

What about booking over the phone?
Old Sep 29, 2019, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You can of course try calling. Or ask someone you know in Kampala to help. Or book on the web if you are willing to risk it.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 3:32 pm

You can of course try calling. Or ask someone you know in Kampala to help. Or book on the web if you are willing to risk it.
Successfully booked with Amex directly through Uganda Airlines website . Got the PNR and ticket number (starting with 109 - which seems correct but could not verify it) instantly. Also received the amex mobile payment notification ( from "Direct Pay Limited").
Change fee for this fare is usd 100 / per traveller.
Thanks again Stimpy ^
Old Dec 20, 2019, 6:59 pm

Just flew Uganda Airlines last week from Entebbe to Bujumbura
Very good overall impression of their potential - more than Air Tanzania for some reasons.
EBB is a mess at 1-2 pm. New terminal won't come too soon.
Check - in staff was really useless though.
Hot snack for this 1h flight and friendly crew.
Full TR with photos just here :

https://www.airliners.net/forum/view...?f=9&t=1437263
Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just flew Uganda Airlines last week from Entebbe to Bujumbura
Very good overall impression of their potential
Well done! I am not surprised by the poor performance at check in, nor the great performance in the air. Ugandan service in general is excellent, but in the airport it is completely different. I suppose the staff just gets that way after dealing with all the pushy passengers making demands every day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.