Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2023, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: B747-437B
INFO AND FAQ ABOUT ETHIOPIAN AIRLINES' STPC (STopover Paid by Carrier) PROGRAM

If you have a connection between two Ethiopian Airlines international flights at Addis Ababa International Airport (ADD) scheduled for between 08:00 to 23:59 hours in length on a single ticket, you are eligible for the complimentary STPC (STopover Paid by Carrier) package.

Eligible passengers should get a voucher for hotel, visa, meals and transport when you check-in for your first Ethiopian Airlines flight. On arrival in Addis Ababa, proceed DIRECTLY to immigration who will process your transit entry on the basis of the voucher. As soon as you exit the customs area, there is an Ethiopian Airlines Transport Desk on the left hand side. Present your voucher there for a rubber stamp and they will advise you the details of your hotel shuttle. There is a waiting area with a handful of seats (and free WiFi) while you wait. The voucher covers everything, including all meals appropriate to the time of day.

FAQ

Qsn : How long does my layover need to be to take advantage of this program?
Ans : Your layover needs to be between 08:00 to 23:59 hours in length. A layover of 07:59 or less (or 24:00 and longer) is not eligible.

Qsn : My layover is during the daytime and not overnight. Am I still eligible?
Ans : YES. As long as your layover is between 08:00 to 23:59 hours in length, you are eligible.

Qsn : Which hotel will I be assigned to?
Ans : In almost all cases Business Class passengers will be assigned to the 5-star Ethiopian Skylight Hotel located in Bole. As of May 2023, the extension to the Skylight Hotel is also open so a vast majority of Economy Class passengers will also be assigned there.

https://www.ethiopianskylighthotel.com

Qsn. Do I need to book in advance?
Ans : No, you just show up at check-in for your first flight and you will receive the voucher.

Qsn : I did not receive my voucher at check-in. What should I do?
Ans : If you did not receive your voucher at check-in, you will most likely receive it at the boarding gate. If you still do not receive it for some reason, you can collect it at the "Transfer and Layover Office" in Addis Ababa which is located on the left (west) side of the transit security area.

Qsn. Do I get to choose my hotel?
Ans : No, your hotel will be assigned to you. In almost all cases Business Class passengers will be assigned to the 5-star Ethiopian Skylight Hotel. As of May 2023, the extension to the Skylight Hotel is also open so a vast majority of Economy Class passengers will also be assigned there.

Qsn. Do I need to buy my own food?
Ans : No, your voucher includes complimentary meals at the hotel appropriate to the time of day.

Qsn. How do I get to the hotel?
Ans : Your voucher includes complimentary transfers from the airport to the hotel and vice versa. The Ethiopian Airlines Transport Desk located just after Customs will direct you to the appropriate pickup point for the shuttle bus.

Qsn. Can I skip the shuttle bus and take a taxi instead?
Ans : Sure, but you need to get your voucher stamped by the Ethiopian Airlines Transport Desk located just after Customs. The hotel requires a stamped voucher in order to allow your check-in.

Qsn. I prefer to stay at the Hyatt Regency Addis Ababa - will Ethiopian Airlines reimburse my expenses there?
Ans : NO. You have to use the complimentary hotel provided by Ethiopian Airlines. They will not refund any expenses incurred elsewhere.

Qsn. I read and hear a lot of negative things about the security situation in Ethiopia. Is it safe to leave the airport?
Ans : Each person has their own risk appetite and needs to conduct their own security assessment. However, hundreds if not thousands of visitors in transit enter Ethiopia every day and do not fall victim to insecurity issues in the provided hotels. The wider city of Addis Ababa has the same security and crime issues that plague any big city, and tourists will stand out as prospective targets for pickpockets, etc..

Qsn. Can I request the In-Terminal hotel instead of a hotel in town?
Ans : The In-Terminal Hotel in Addis Ababa is also operated by Ethiopian Skylight Hotel. Anecdotally, if you receive a voucher for "SKYLIGHT", you may be able to choose to use it at either the airside in-terminal hotel, or the landside hotel which is around 300m from Terminal 1 and 1km from Terminal 2. Officially however, you should be using the landside hotel (which is a 5-star property and much nicer).

Qsn. Can I use the transit visa only and then go to my own hotel or take a city tour?
Ans : In practice, this is possible. Once you exit customs, simply exit the building rather than going to the Ethiopian Airlines Transport Desk for the shuttle bus to the provided hotel.

Qsn. Do they have free Wifi?
Ans : Yes, all hotels that Ethiopian Airlines uses for this program provide free Wifi. However, speeds may vary significantly and there are often Government imposed blocks of certain websites, apps and functionalities. You can purchase a local SIM card at the Safaricom or EthioTel desks located right next to the Ethiopian Airlines Transport Desk after customs. The SIM card costs 30 Birr (approx. $0.50) and you can purchase a data package of your choosing depending on your requirements.

Qsn : Can I leave the hotel and go sightseeing during my layover?
Ans : There should be nothing that stops you from doing this. However, if you are a military age male fitting a specific ethnic profile, you may experience some pushback from hotel security (UPDATED 2023). There have been situations where transit passengers who might not otherwise qualify for a visa have left hotels and joined up as mercenary soldiers with anti-government forces, so they want to ensure that doesn't happen. Some hotels may require you to leave your passport with them as a "deposit".

Qsn : I have a firearm in my checked luggage. Can I access it during my transit stop in Addis Ababa?
Ans : NO. Local regulations do not permit you to access your firearms while in transit in Addis Ababa. Hotels will conduct X-ray screening of all luggage and require guests to pass through metal detector screening to ensure no weapons are carried.

Qsn. Does my passport get stamped?
Ans : NO, in most cases, your passport will not be stamped. However, your photograph and/or fingerprints will be collected at immigration. In some cases however, your passport may be stamped.

Qsn. I am in transit to South Africa and I am concerned that using this program will trigger a requirement for Yellow Fever vaccination. What should I do?
Ans : If you enter Ethiopia, even in transit, you may be required to show proof of Yellow Fever vaccination upon arrival in South Africa.

Qsn. How long does it take to deal with all the formalities?
Ans : If you have all your paperwork already in order (viz. onward boarding pass and transit voucher) you can be out of the building within 15 minutes of touchdown. Very rarely does it take longer than 30 minutes.

Qsn : There is a shorter connection available to my destination. Am I still eligible for this program?
Ans. YES. If you are on a paid ticket and there is a shorter connection available, your fare already includes a surcharge of $70 to cover this program. If you are on an award ticket, no surcharge is applicable and you will receive the vouchers anyway.

Qsn : There is a shorter connection available to my destination. Customer service says I am not eligible, but this FAQ says I am. Who is right?
Ans : This FAQ is based on hundreds of passenger experiences over the course of multiple years. There is no single data point where a passenger has been denied this program due to a "shorter connection" being available. There is an official policy, and then there is the reality on the ground.

Qsn : I am on an award ticket. Am I still eligible for this program?
Ans : YES. As long as both inbound and outbound flights are on the same ticket and operated by Ethiopian Airlines, you are eligible.

Qsn : I am on a partner issued ticket (revenue or award). Am I still eligible for this program?
Ans : YES. As long as both inbound and outbound flights are on the same ticket and operated by Ethiopian Airlines, you are eligible. Both revenue and award tickets issued by partners are eligible.

Qsn : I am arriving on Turkish Airlines and departing on Ethiopian. Am I eligible?
Ans : NO. Both inbound and outbound flights must be operated by Ethiopian Airlines to be eligible.

Qsn : I am arriving on Ethiopian Airlines and departing on Egyptair. Am I eligible?
Ans : NO. Both inbound and outbound flights must be operated by Ethiopian Airlines to be eligible.

Qsn : I am traveling on separate tickets but both flights are on Ethiopian Airlines. Am I eligible?
Ans : NO. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on the same ticket and operated by Ethiopian Airlines to be eligible.

Qsn : I am arriving on a domestic Ethiopian Airlines flight and departing the next morning on an international flight. Am I eligible?
Ans : This program specifically applies only to international flights. If either your arrival or departure flights is domestic, you need to check the specific fare rules for details about eligibility.

Qsn : I am not eligible for the complimentary package as I am on separate tickets. Can I pay extra and purchase this anyway?
Ans : YES. You can usually purchase this package for between $70-135 depending on hotel availability from the "Transfer and Layover Office" at Addis Ababa

Qsn : My country is not eligible for visa-on-arrival in Ethiopia. Am I eligible?
Ans : YES. Citizens of all countries traveling on national passports are eligible for this program. Ethiopian Airlines arranges your transit visas, which is a separate program from the Tourist Visa On Arrival program.

Qsn : I am an Ethiopian citizen traveling on a refugee travel document issued by a foreign country. Am I eligible?
Ans : NO. Your refugee travel document will, in most cases, not be eligible for entry into Ethiopia in such a situation. Please confirm with your local Ethiopian Embassy.

Print Wikipost

Ethiopian Airlines (ADD layover)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2022, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by fbruno
Anyone knows if (re-)testing at ADD is still required for DXB bound passengers on a <4 hours transit there? Thinking of booking a J award Europe-ADD-DXB, but don’t want to run the risk of testing positive in ADD.
It is no longer required unless you have been in either Nepal or Afghanistan within the previous 14 days.

However please note that if you are transiting in Ethiopia, you must have a printed PCR test resuilt with sample taken no more than 48 hours prior to the departure of the final sector into Dubai (ie. 48 hrs prior to the departure time of the Addis-Dubai sector). You will also be tested upon arrival in Dubai pre-immigration.
uanj and fbruno like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B
It is no longer required unless you have been in either Nepal or Afghanistan within the previous 14 days.

However please note that if you are transiting in Ethiopia, you must have a printed PCR test resuilt with sample taken no more than 48 hours prior to the departure of the final sector into Dubai (ie. 48 hrs prior to the departure time of the Addis-Dubai sector). You will also be tested upon arrival in Dubai pre-immigration.
I concur...I did IAD ADD DXB last Saturday. Note that from the time I landed at DXB, took the mandatory test (no real lines...every person for themselves), went through immigration, picked up my baggage, and bought a SIM card, it was two hours. I expected, wrongly, that there would be an immigration line for premium passengers, but I guess that only happens for Emirates' premium customers.

(Note that DXB will have changes for the better starting 28 February, but one should check those changes for their individual situation.)
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs
I expected, wrongly, that there would be an immigration line for premium passengers, but I guess that only happens for Emirates' premium customers.
You can purchase priority immigration access through Marhaba, but that's about it for priority on the Dubai side.
lamphs likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 7:20 am

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
HI guys, I am transiting (airside) through ADD (from EZE to VIE) and the layover is about 5-6 hours. Austria do not require any pre-departure covid testing. Do I currently need any negative covid test to board a flight to ADD where I will be only transiting? I know about the negative test 120 hours before departure but this is only for entry the country right?
Old Mar 11, 2022, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by casey89
HI guys, I am transiting (airside) through ADD (from EZE to VIE) and the layover is about 5-6 hours. Austria do not require any pre-departure covid testing. Do I currently need any negative covid test to board a flight to ADD where I will be only transiting? I know about the negative test 120 hours before departure but this is only for entry the country right?
You need to comply with the regulations of your destination country only - no special requirements for transit in Addis.

You will remain airside anyway for a transit <8 hours so it is a moot point, but even entry on a transit visa does not require a PCR test (but you would then be required to remain in your provided hotel during the entire layover).
Old Mar 11, 2022, 4:59 pm

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
You need to comply with the regulations of your destination country only - no special requirements for transit in Addis.

You will remain airside anyway for a transit <8 hours so it is a moot point, but even entry on a transit visa does not require a PCR test (but you would then be required to remain in your provided hotel during the entire layover).
thanks a lot man.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:05 pm

Is it likely ET would provide hotel accommodation on a itinerary that's booked with a >8 hour layover in ADD, where a shorter connection (<8 hours) exists?
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by JacobNL
Is it likely ET would provide hotel accommodation on a itinerary that's booked with a >8 hour layover in ADD, where a shorter connection (<8 hours) exists?
If it is a single ticket, the additional surcharge for the layover is already built into the cost for connections longer than 8 hours.
JacobNL likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/ *G
We are traveling ORD-ADD-VFA and ET have scheduled us a 30 min transfer at ADD. Originally it was 70 mins. I am assuming they did that with regard to actually making that transfer, but maybe I'm being optimistic. Anyone have experience?
Old Apr 7, 2022, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by tabTX
We are traveling ORD-ADD-VFA and ET have scheduled us a 30 min transfer at ADD. Originally it was 70 mins. I am assuming they did that with regard to actually making that transfer, but maybe I'm being optimistic. Anyone have experience?
30 minutes is fine. Legal minimum connecting time is 20 minutes for an ET-ET international itinerary and I've made connections <15 minutes multiple times (as did my bags).
JacobNL likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 8:56 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
I am flying many ET segments (on an Aeroplan redemption) for my upcoming trip this weekend & confused about STPC. All segments are in business.

IST - ADD - JNB (18 hr layover, there is another ADD - JNB with 3.5 hr connection)
JNB - ADD - IST (9.5 hr layover, no other alternative)

I was wondering if I am eligible for complimentary transit visa + hotel is both of these segments ? If yes, how to avail it? I emailed generic reservation line of ET & they responded with a confusing (and slightly contradicting response)

Thank you for your email

Please be advised that if your flight was operated fully by Ethiopian airlines the airlines the airlines would've provided you with hotel accomodation but since your ticket was not issued by Ethiopian airlines you need to cover the hotel accomodation and the transit visa as well.
My guess is they are referring to my Aeroplan PNR but then all segments are operated by Ethiopian so I am genuinely confused on what they mean by this?

Also, is Visa On Arrival active now? (i heard it was stopped in the past). I am planning to do some day tours while in ADD - i am hoping the free transit visa + Hotel program allows me to do it without any hiccups ?

Last edited by jugaadkabaap; May 26, 2022 at 9:06 am
Old May 26, 2022, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap
I was wondering if I am eligible for complimentary transit visa + hotel is both of these segments ? If yes, how to avail it?
Yes. You will receive a voucher at check-in for the Skylight Hotel if in Business Class (alternatively you can pull up the voucher from the "Feel Addis" tab in the mobile app after completing OLCI). The voucher covers hotel, meals, transfers and visa. No difference if you are on a partner issued ticket, provided the incoming and outgoing flights from Addis are both operated by ET.
jugaadkabaap likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Yes. You will receive a voucher at check-in for the Skylight Hotel if in Business Class (alternatively you can pull up the voucher from the "Feel Addis" tab in the mobile app after completing OLCI). The voucher covers hotel, meals, transfers and visa. No difference if you are on a partner issued ticket, provided the incoming and outgoing flights from Addis are both operated by ET.
thanks for prompt response.

I contacted ET via social media & also YYZ ET desk - they both are of the opinion that I won’t get free vouchers on my outbound as there’s an earlier connection possible to JNB from ADD.

as per ET social media, I will be able to get a voucher on arrival to ADD but at a cost.

Quoting
No because there is a flight departing the same date at 08;40 am. You chose the flight with the long layover and you will pay for the accommodation.

I apologize, we don't know the price and the hotel name here, you will be advised upon arrival at the airport.
I read elsewhere here in the forum that, some folks with manufactured connections also got free vouchers! Any insights on these?

plus I was told by ET social media that due to Covid - I won’t be allowed to go out of the hotel. My major plan for the extended layover was to explore the city and do some tours. If I am forced to stay in the hotel & not venture out to see the city - I am more inclined to change my flight to an earlier connection and save time.

Wonder if anyone has any recent experience?

Last edited by jugaadkabaap; May 26, 2022 at 12:33 pm
Old May 26, 2022, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap
Wonder if anyone has any recent experience?
There are the official regulations which are spouted back to you by the social media teams and there is the reality on the ground.

If you have any connection >7h59m and <= 23h59m and are on ET metal both inbound and outbound, regardless of earlier flights being available, regardless of ticket stock, regardless of award or revenue, you will receive the STPC voucher. For Business Class, this will almost always be at Skylight (unless it is full then you may wind up in Radisson Blu or Ramada).

Once you are in the layover hotel, you can exit into town with a gate pass. Only Skylight seems to enforce this however - the other hotels couldn't care less. To get the gate pass you need to either show a PCR test <72 hours old, a rapid test <24 hours old or a vaccine certificate (2 shots, no booster needed). Addis is not particularly big on COVID protocols nowadays anyway. People are more likely to be wearing masks because of the pollution in town.

As for recent experiences, my most recent data point was from a relative approximately 2 hours ago, so unless something has changed since then....
Ted S and turbofanblade like this.
Old May 26, 2022, 3:37 pm

There are the official regulations which are spouted back to you by the social media teams and there is the reality on the ground.

If you have any connection >7h59m and <= 23h59m and are on ET metal both inbound and outbound, regardless of earlier flights being available, regardless of ticket stock, regardless of award or revenue, you will receive the STPC voucher. For Business Class, this will almost always be at Skylight (unless it is full then you may wind up in Radisson Blu or Ramada).

Once you are in the layover hotel, you can exit into town with a gate pass. Only Skylight seems to enforce this however - the other hotels couldn't care less. To get the gate pass you need to either show a PCR test <72 hours old, a rapid test <24 hours old or a vaccine certificate (2 shots, no booster needed). Addis is not particularly big on COVID protocols nowadays anyway. People are more likely to be wearing masks because of the pollution in town.

As for recent experiences, my most recent data point was from a relative approximately 2 hours ago, so unless something has changed since then....
Damn , good to know. Your last line really made me chuckle :P

I do have vaccine certs (with booster) so I can definitely provide those. Seems like you are in town almost every week so may be you can help me get out of the analysis paralysis.

I have 2 layovers in ADD (18 hrs, 5:55AM till 11ish PM) and another on return 9:30hr one (mandatory, 5:55AM to 3PM). I could cut my first 18 hrs layover to 3hrs at no extra cost (there's inventory available as we speak) and reach JNB early (more time for safari). Or I can maintain current schedule and take a gamble with STPC voucher just like you detailed earlier.

Major question is does it makes sense or is it worth to take that gamble and explore Addis (hopefully) for an extra 12ish hrs . Or is it just enough to make use of the 2nd mandatory layover to get a local flavour. ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.