Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2023, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: B747-437B
INFO AND FAQ ABOUT ETHIOPIAN AIRLINES' STPC (STopover Paid by Carrier) PROGRAM

If you have a connection between two Ethiopian Airlines international flights at Addis Ababa International Airport (ADD) scheduled for between 08:00 to 23:59 hours in length on a single ticket, you are eligible for the complimentary STPC (STopover Paid by Carrier) package.

Eligible passengers should get a voucher for hotel, visa, meals and transport when you check-in for your first Ethiopian Airlines flight. On arrival in Addis Ababa, proceed DIRECTLY to immigration who will process your transit entry on the basis of the voucher. As soon as you exit the customs area, there is an Ethiopian Airlines Transport Desk on the left hand side. Present your voucher there for a rubber stamp and they will advise you the details of your hotel shuttle. There is a waiting area with a handful of seats (and free WiFi) while you wait. The voucher covers everything, including all meals appropriate to the time of day.

FAQ

Qsn : How long does my layover need to be to take advantage of this program?
Ans : Your layover needs to be between 08:00 to 23:59 hours in length. A layover of 07:59 or less (or 24:00 and longer) is not eligible.

Qsn : My layover is during the daytime and not overnight. Am I still eligible?
Ans : YES. As long as your layover is between 08:00 to 23:59 hours in length, you are eligible.

Qsn : Which hotel will I be assigned to?
Ans : In almost all cases Business Class passengers will be assigned to the 5-star Ethiopian Skylight Hotel located in Bole. As of May 2023, the extension to the Skylight Hotel is also open so a vast majority of Economy Class passengers will also be assigned there.

https://www.ethiopianskylighthotel.com

Qsn. Do I need to book in advance?
Ans : No, you just show up at check-in for your first flight and you will receive the voucher.

Qsn : I did not receive my voucher at check-in. What should I do?
Ans : If you did not receive your voucher at check-in, you will most likely receive it at the boarding gate. If you still do not receive it for some reason, you can collect it at the "Transfer and Layover Office" in Addis Ababa which is located on the left (west) side of the transit security area.

Qsn. Do I get to choose my hotel?
Ans : No, your hotel will be assigned to you. In almost all cases Business Class passengers will be assigned to the 5-star Ethiopian Skylight Hotel. As of May 2023, the extension to the Skylight Hotel is also open so a vast majority of Economy Class passengers will also be assigned there.

Qsn. Do I need to buy my own food?
Ans : No, your voucher includes complimentary meals at the hotel appropriate to the time of day.

Qsn. How do I get to the hotel?
Ans : Your voucher includes complimentary transfers from the airport to the hotel and vice versa. The Ethiopian Airlines Transport Desk located just after Customs will direct you to the appropriate pickup point for the shuttle bus.

Qsn. Can I skip the shuttle bus and take a taxi instead?
Ans : Sure, but you need to get your voucher stamped by the Ethiopian Airlines Transport Desk located just after Customs. The hotel requires a stamped voucher in order to allow your check-in.

Qsn. I prefer to stay at the Hyatt Regency Addis Ababa - will Ethiopian Airlines reimburse my expenses there?
Ans : NO. You have to use the complimentary hotel provided by Ethiopian Airlines. They will not refund any expenses incurred elsewhere.

Qsn. I read and hear a lot of negative things about the security situation in Ethiopia. Is it safe to leave the airport?
Ans : Each person has their own risk appetite and needs to conduct their own security assessment. However, hundreds if not thousands of visitors in transit enter Ethiopia every day and do not fall victim to insecurity issues in the provided hotels. The wider city of Addis Ababa has the same security and crime issues that plague any big city, and tourists will stand out as prospective targets for pickpockets, etc..

Qsn. Can I request the In-Terminal hotel instead of a hotel in town?
Ans : The In-Terminal Hotel in Addis Ababa is also operated by Ethiopian Skylight Hotel. Anecdotally, if you receive a voucher for "SKYLIGHT", you may be able to choose to use it at either the airside in-terminal hotel, or the landside hotel which is around 300m from Terminal 1 and 1km from Terminal 2. Officially however, you should be using the landside hotel (which is a 5-star property and much nicer).

Qsn. Can I use the transit visa only and then go to my own hotel or take a city tour?
Ans : In practice, this is possible. Once you exit customs, simply exit the building rather than going to the Ethiopian Airlines Transport Desk for the shuttle bus to the provided hotel.

Qsn. Do they have free Wifi?
Ans : Yes, all hotels that Ethiopian Airlines uses for this program provide free Wifi. However, speeds may vary significantly and there are often Government imposed blocks of certain websites, apps and functionalities. You can purchase a local SIM card at the Safaricom or EthioTel desks located right next to the Ethiopian Airlines Transport Desk after customs. The SIM card costs 30 Birr (approx. $0.50) and you can purchase a data package of your choosing depending on your requirements.

Qsn : Can I leave the hotel and go sightseeing during my layover?
Ans : There should be nothing that stops you from doing this. However, if you are a military age male fitting a specific ethnic profile, you may experience some pushback from hotel security (UPDATED 2023). There have been situations where transit passengers who might not otherwise qualify for a visa have left hotels and joined up as mercenary soldiers with anti-government forces, so they want to ensure that doesn't happen. Some hotels may require you to leave your passport with them as a "deposit".

Qsn : I have a firearm in my checked luggage. Can I access it during my transit stop in Addis Ababa?
Ans : NO. Local regulations do not permit you to access your firearms while in transit in Addis Ababa. Hotels will conduct X-ray screening of all luggage and require guests to pass through metal detector screening to ensure no weapons are carried.

Qsn. Does my passport get stamped?
Ans : NO, in most cases, your passport will not be stamped. However, your photograph and/or fingerprints will be collected at immigration. In some cases however, your passport may be stamped.

Qsn. I am in transit to South Africa and I am concerned that using this program will trigger a requirement for Yellow Fever vaccination. What should I do?
Ans : If you enter Ethiopia, even in transit, you may be required to show proof of Yellow Fever vaccination upon arrival in South Africa.

Qsn. How long does it take to deal with all the formalities?
Ans : If you have all your paperwork already in order (viz. onward boarding pass and transit voucher) you can be out of the building within 15 minutes of touchdown. Very rarely does it take longer than 30 minutes.

Qsn : There is a shorter connection available to my destination. Am I still eligible for this program?
Ans. YES. If you are on a paid ticket and there is a shorter connection available, your fare already includes a surcharge of $70 to cover this program. If you are on an award ticket, no surcharge is applicable and you will receive the vouchers anyway.

Qsn : There is a shorter connection available to my destination. Customer service says I am not eligible, but this FAQ says I am. Who is right?
Ans : This FAQ is based on hundreds of passenger experiences over the course of multiple years. There is no single data point where a passenger has been denied this program due to a "shorter connection" being available. There is an official policy, and then there is the reality on the ground.

Qsn : I am on an award ticket. Am I still eligible for this program?
Ans : YES. As long as both inbound and outbound flights are on the same ticket and operated by Ethiopian Airlines, you are eligible.

Qsn : I am on a partner issued ticket (revenue or award). Am I still eligible for this program?
Ans : YES. As long as both inbound and outbound flights are on the same ticket and operated by Ethiopian Airlines, you are eligible. Both revenue and award tickets issued by partners are eligible.

Qsn : I am arriving on Turkish Airlines and departing on Ethiopian. Am I eligible?
Ans : NO. Both inbound and outbound flights must be operated by Ethiopian Airlines to be eligible.

Qsn : I am arriving on Ethiopian Airlines and departing on Egyptair. Am I eligible?
Ans : NO. Both inbound and outbound flights must be operated by Ethiopian Airlines to be eligible.

Qsn : I am traveling on separate tickets but both flights are on Ethiopian Airlines. Am I eligible?
Ans : NO. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on the same ticket and operated by Ethiopian Airlines to be eligible.

Qsn : I am arriving on a domestic Ethiopian Airlines flight and departing the next morning on an international flight. Am I eligible?
Ans : This program specifically applies only to international flights. If either your arrival or departure flights is domestic, you need to check the specific fare rules for details about eligibility.

Qsn : I am not eligible for the complimentary package as I am on separate tickets. Can I pay extra and purchase this anyway?
Ans : YES. You can usually purchase this package for between $70-135 depending on hotel availability from the "Transfer and Layover Office" at Addis Ababa

Qsn : My country is not eligible for visa-on-arrival in Ethiopia. Am I eligible?
Ans : YES. Citizens of all countries traveling on national passports are eligible for this program. Ethiopian Airlines arranges your transit visas, which is a separate program from the Tourist Visa On Arrival program.

Qsn : I am an Ethiopian citizen traveling on a refugee travel document issued by a foreign country. Am I eligible?
Ans : NO. Your refugee travel document will, in most cases, not be eligible for entry into Ethiopia in such a situation. Please confirm with your local Ethiopian Embassy.

Print Wikipost

Ethiopian Airlines (ADD layover)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Question Ethiopian Airlines (ADD layover)

I will be flying Ethiopian Airlines Flight 509/847 EWR-CPT for the holiday, we have an 11 hour layover at ADD. I am receiving conflicting information from the airline regarding whether or not we need transit visas and if the airline will be providing hotel vouchers. I found this website which details an experience with the Ethiopian Airlines hotel vouchers program. Does any have any familiarity with Ethiopian Airlines in this regard (transit visas needed/hotel vouchers provided)?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by mrstraveler
I will be flying Ethiopian Airlines Flight 509/847 EWR-CPT for the holiday, we have an 11 hour layover at ADD. I am receiving conflicting information from the airline regarding whether or not we need transit visas and if the airline will be providing hotel vouchers. I found this website which details an experience with the Ethiopian Airlines hotel vouchers program. Does any have any familiarity with Ethiopian Airlines in this regard (transit visas needed/hotel vouchers provided)?
If you have an ET to ET connection scheduled for between 08:00 to 23:59 hours in length, you are eligible for the complimentary STPC package. 07:59 or less (or 24:00 and longer) is not eligible.

You should get a voucher for the hotel, visa, meals and transport when you checkin at Newark, but if for whatever reason you don't then just collect one at the Transit desk in Addis. Once you have the voucher, proceed DIRECTLY to immigration who will process your transit entry on the basis of the voucher. Collect baggage (if tagged to Addis) and clear customs. Before exiting the doors leaving the customs area, there is a ET Hotels desk on the left hand side. Present your voucher there for a rubber stamp and they will advise you the details of your hotel shuttle. There is a waiting area with a number of seats (and extremely slow free WiFi) while you wait. The voucher covers everything, including all meals appropriate to the time of day.

Business Class gets sent to the Hilton Addis and Economy Class gets sent to a wide range of other local hotels. Hilton runs its own shuttles on demand, but the ET Hotels team will show you where to go (the Hilton desk just outside customs) to get collected.

NOTE : You will not be automatically entitled to the transit visa if you hold an Eritrean passport or a refugee document showing your nationality as Eritrean or Somali. If either of these conditions apply to you, you will need to obtain a transit visa in advance.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747-437B
If you have an ET to ET connection scheduled for between 08:00 to 23:59 hours in length, you are eligible for the complimentary STPC package. 07:59 or less (or 24:00 and longer) is not eligible.

You should get a voucher for the hotel, visa, meals and transport when you checkin at Newark, but if for whatever reason you don't then just collect one at the Transit desk in Addis. Once you have the voucher, proceed DIRECTLY to immigration who will process your transit entry on the basis of the voucher. Collect baggage (if tagged to Addis) and clear customs. Before exiting the doors leaving the customs area, there is a ET Hotels desk on the left hand side. Present your voucher there for a rubber stamp and they will advise you the details of your hotel shuttle. There is a waiting area with a number of seats (and extremely slow free WiFi) while you wait. The voucher covers everything, including all meals appropriate to the time of day.

Business Class gets sent to the Hilton Addis and Economy Class gets sent to a wide range of other local hotels. Hilton runs its own shuttles on demand, but the ET Hotels team will show you where to go (the Hilton desk just outside customs) to get collected.

NOTE : You will not be automatically entitled to the transit visa if you hold an Eritrean passport or a refugee document showing your nationality as Eritrean or Somali. If either of these conditions apply to you, you will need to obtain a transit visa in advance.

Wow B747-437B, thank you so much for being a great source of information! We are US passport holders traveling in business class and connecting to ET847 ADD to CPT, so I guess we will be spending the night at the Hilton and are automatically entitled to the transit visas. I will be sure to request our vouchers when we checkin at EWR. Since we are traveling in business class, do you know a lounge we could access at EWR...I don't believe ET has one?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by mrstraveler
Wow B747-437B, thank you so much for being a great source of information! We are US passport holders traveling in business class and connecting to ET847 ADD to CPT, so I guess we will be spending the night at the Hilton and are automatically entitled to the transit visas. I will be sure to request our vouchers when we checkin at EWR. Since we are traveling in business class, do you know a lounge we could access at EWR...I don't believe ET has one?
You'll get a lounge invitation at check-in at Newark to whichever lounge they have contracted for C9/*G pax.

In Addis Ababa, you can use the Cloud Nine Lounge (which is different from the Star Gold Lounge, the ShebaMiles Silver Lounge and the Platinum Lounge and arguably the nicest of the bunch).
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
If you do a connection from Turkish Airlines to Ethiopian with the transfer at Addis, do you get the hotel? I am looking at some award travel to southern africa and this is by far the option with the most availability.... route we're looking at is 8:30 overnight layover at Addis. Is Addis interesting enough to warrant staying an extra day there? Thanks
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by steveo
If you do a connection from Turkish Airlines to Ethiopian with the transfer at Addis, do you get the hotel? I am looking at some award travel to southern africa and this is by far the option with the most availability.... route we're looking at is 8:30 overnight layover at Addis. Is Addis interesting enough to warrant staying an extra day there? Thanks
You are not entitled to the STPC if you do a TK-ET connection, but they may sell the package to you at the interline desk for $75 subject to availability. It is not a guarantee though. Addis is well worth a day or two layover if you haven't been there before, although the real beauty of the country is further afield.
trooper and toctoc like this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Anyone with recent experience on a ET-LH daytime connection? Traveling in Business, arriving ADD at 0550 on ET and connecting to Lufthansa's 2250 FRA flight. Since it's not ET-ET, would they sell a J pax the Hilton stay package during the daytime? If they do sell the hotel package, does that mean you do not have to pay the Visa on Arrival fee?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by a330marcus
Since it's not ET-ET, would they sell a J pax the Hilton stay package during the daytime? If they do sell the hotel package, does that mean you do not have to pay the Visa on Arrival fee?
You can try your luck. I know people who have been able to buy the package when arriving on another carrier and connecting to ET, but no data points either way for the reverse. If you are able to buy the package though, you will get the transit visa included in the amount you pay.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Hello from the transfer desk! I was able to buy a hotel package but the cost was $135 for the Hilton (or Radisson). They only accept cash so had to use the ATM downstairs to get local currency. She didn't offer any $75 package to me. I took it anyway as it was still cheaper than booking it directly with the hotel, plus visa on arrival cost.
trooper likes this.

Last edited by a330marcus; Mar 17, 2018 at 9:06 pm
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by a330marcus
Hello from the transfer desk! I was able to buy a hotel package but the cost was $135 for the Hilton (or Radisson). They only accept cash so had to use the ATM downstairs to get local currency. She didn't offer any $75 package to me. I took it anyway as it was still cheaper than booking it directly with the hotel, plus visa on arrival cost.
Interesting data point. I think the Hilton or Radisson aspect may have something to do with the higher price as those obviously come at a higher cost (ET pays the Radisson $90 per room per night on a B&B basis, plus extra for the food vouchers while the other "generic" hotels are in the $30-50 range per room night). I've also always been able to pay by card there, although they wouldn't accept Amex a few years ago. Still, a good deal as you point out since both of those properties retail for $150++ and the visa/transport would also cost you $50+ as well.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: A3 Silver, BA BLUE, IHG Gold, Hertz President's circle, AY plat
I was in NOV16 able to pay the 70$ at the transfer desk with AMEX (got the friendship hotel)
They charged me by issuing a 70$ EMD in Sabre with my amex card as FOP

Had also to complete this (or a similar) form : https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/Cm...ation-form.pdf
B747-437B likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Does any know if award tickets are eligible for this?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by c1mth0g
Does any know if award tickets are eligible for this?
​​​​​​
Yes, no differentiation between awards or revenue tickets (including partner awards).
Old May 1, 2018, 7:17 am

If I have a ET connecting flight that ismore than 8 hrs after I arrive at 7.00 but there are flights to the destination earlier that day, do I still qualify for the STPC?
Old May 1, 2018, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
If I have a ET connecting flight that ismore than 8 hrs after I arrive at 7.00 but there are flights to the destination earlier that day, do I still qualify for the STPC?
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.