Ethiopian Airlines (ADD layover)

Old Nov 15, 17, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Question Ethiopian Airlines (ADD layover)

I will be flying Ethiopian Airlines Flight 509/847 EWR-CPT for the holiday, we have an 11 hour layover at ADD. I am receiving conflicting information from the airline regarding whether or not we need transit visas and if the airline will be providing hotel vouchers. I found this website which details an experience with the Ethiopian Airlines hotel vouchers program. Does any have any familiarity with Ethiopian Airlines in this regard (transit visas needed/hotel vouchers provided)?
Old Nov 16, 17, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by mrstraveler View Post
I will be flying Ethiopian Airlines Flight 509/847 EWR-CPT for the holiday, we have an 11 hour layover at ADD. I am receiving conflicting information from the airline regarding whether or not we need transit visas and if the airline will be providing hotel vouchers. I found this website which details an experience with the Ethiopian Airlines hotel vouchers program. Does any have any familiarity with Ethiopian Airlines in this regard (transit visas needed/hotel vouchers provided)?
If you have an ET to ET connection scheduled for between 08:00 to 23:59 hours in length, you are eligible for the complimentary STPC package. 07:59 or less (or 24:00 and longer) is not eligible.

You should get a voucher for the hotel, visa, meals and transport when you checkin at Newark, but if for whatever reason you don't then just collect one at the Transit desk in Addis. Once you have the voucher, proceed DIRECTLY to immigration who will process your transit entry on the basis of the voucher. Collect baggage (if tagged to Addis) and clear customs. Before exiting the doors leaving the customs area, there is a ET Hotels desk on the left hand side. Present your voucher there for a rubber stamp and they will advise you the details of your hotel shuttle. There is a waiting area with a number of seats (and extremely slow free WiFi) while you wait. The voucher covers everything, including all meals appropriate to the time of day.

Business Class gets sent to the Hilton Addis and Economy Class gets sent to a wide range of other local hotels. Hilton runs its own shuttles on demand, but the ET Hotels team will show you where to go (the Hilton desk just outside customs) to get collected.

NOTE : You will not be automatically entitled to the transit visa if you hold an Eritrean passport or a refugee document showing your nationality as Eritrean or Somali. If either of these conditions apply to you, you will need to obtain a transit visa in advance.
Old Nov 16, 17, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
If you have an ET to ET connection scheduled for between 08:00 to 23:59 hours in length, you are eligible for the complimentary STPC package. 07:59 or less (or 24:00 and longer) is not eligible.

You should get a voucher for the hotel, visa, meals and transport when you checkin at Newark, but if for whatever reason you don't then just collect one at the Transit desk in Addis. Once you have the voucher, proceed DIRECTLY to immigration who will process your transit entry on the basis of the voucher. Collect baggage (if tagged to Addis) and clear customs. Before exiting the doors leaving the customs area, there is a ET Hotels desk on the left hand side. Present your voucher there for a rubber stamp and they will advise you the details of your hotel shuttle. There is a waiting area with a number of seats (and extremely slow free WiFi) while you wait. The voucher covers everything, including all meals appropriate to the time of day.

Business Class gets sent to the Hilton Addis and Economy Class gets sent to a wide range of other local hotels. Hilton runs its own shuttles on demand, but the ET Hotels team will show you where to go (the Hilton desk just outside customs) to get collected.

NOTE : You will not be automatically entitled to the transit visa if you hold an Eritrean passport or a refugee document showing your nationality as Eritrean or Somali. If either of these conditions apply to you, you will need to obtain a transit visa in advance.

Wow B747-437B, thank you so much for being a great source of information! We are US passport holders traveling in business class and connecting to ET847 ADD to CPT, so I guess we will be spending the night at the Hilton and are automatically entitled to the transit visas. I will be sure to request our vouchers when we checkin at EWR. Since we are traveling in business class, do you know a lounge we could access at EWR...I don't believe ET has one?
Old Nov 16, 17, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by mrstraveler View Post
Wow B747-437B, thank you so much for being a great source of information! We are US passport holders traveling in business class and connecting to ET847 ADD to CPT, so I guess we will be spending the night at the Hilton and are automatically entitled to the transit visas. I will be sure to request our vouchers when we checkin at EWR. Since we are traveling in business class, do you know a lounge we could access at EWR...I don't believe ET has one?
You'll get a lounge invitation at check-in at Newark to whichever lounge they have contracted for C9/*G pax.

In Addis Ababa, you can use the Cloud Nine Lounge (which is different from the Star Gold Lounge, the ShebaMiles Silver Lounge and the Platinum Lounge and arguably the nicest of the bunch).
Old Dec 10, 17, 12:45 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
If you do a connection from Turkish Airlines to Ethiopian with the transfer at Addis, do you get the hotel? I am looking at some award travel to southern africa and this is by far the option with the most availability.... route we're looking at is 8:30 overnight layover at Addis. Is Addis interesting enough to warrant staying an extra day there? Thanks
Old Dec 10, 17, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by steveo View Post
If you do a connection from Turkish Airlines to Ethiopian with the transfer at Addis, do you get the hotel? I am looking at some award travel to southern africa and this is by far the option with the most availability.... route we're looking at is 8:30 overnight layover at Addis. Is Addis interesting enough to warrant staying an extra day there? Thanks
You are not entitled to the STPC if you do a TK-ET connection, but they may sell the package to you at the interline desk for $75 subject to availability. It is not a guarantee though. Addis is well worth a day or two layover if you haven't been there before, although the real beauty of the country is further afield.
toctoc likes this.
Old Feb 22, 18, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Anyone with recent experience on a ET-LH daytime connection? Traveling in Business, arriving ADD at 0550 on ET and connecting to Lufthansa's 2250 FRA flight. Since it's not ET-ET, would they sell a J pax the Hilton stay package during the daytime? If they do sell the hotel package, does that mean you do not have to pay the Visa on Arrival fee?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 22, 18, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by a330marcus View Post
Since it's not ET-ET, would they sell a J pax the Hilton stay package during the daytime? If they do sell the hotel package, does that mean you do not have to pay the Visa on Arrival fee?
You can try your luck. I know people who have been able to buy the package when arriving on another carrier and connecting to ET, but no data points either way for the reverse. If you are able to buy the package though, you will get the transit visa included in the amount you pay.
Old Mar 17, 18, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Hello from the transfer desk! I was able to buy a hotel package but the cost was $135 for the Hilton (or Radisson). They only accept cash so had to use the ATM downstairs to get local currency. She didn't offer any $75 package to me. I took it anyway as it was still cheaper than booking it directly with the hotel, plus visa on arrival cost.

Last edited by a330marcus; Mar 17, 18 at 9:06 pm
Old Mar 18, 18, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by a330marcus View Post
Hello from the transfer desk! I was able to buy a hotel package but the cost was $135 for the Hilton (or Radisson). They only accept cash so had to use the ATM downstairs to get local currency. She didn't offer any $75 package to me. I took it anyway as it was still cheaper than booking it directly with the hotel, plus visa on arrival cost.
Interesting data point. I think the Hilton or Radisson aspect may have something to do with the higher price as those obviously come at a higher cost (ET pays the Radisson $90 per room per night on a B&B basis, plus extra for the food vouchers while the other "generic" hotels are in the $30-50 range per room night). I've also always been able to pay by card there, although they wouldn't accept Amex a few years ago. Still, a good deal as you point out since both of those properties retail for $150++ and the visa/transport would also cost you $50+ as well.
Old Mar 19, 18, 9:19 am

Programs: A3 Star Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver, BA BLUE, IHG Gold, Hertz President's circle
I was in NOV16 able to pay the 70$ at the transfer desk with AMEX (got the friendship hotel)
They charged me by issuing a 70$ EMD in Sabre with my amex card as FOP

Had also to complete this (or a similar) form : https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/Cm...ation-form.pdf
B747-437B likes this.
Old Mar 24, 18, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ QPP
Does any know if award tickets are eligible for this?
Old Mar 24, 18, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by c1mth0g View Post
Does any know if award tickets are eligible for this?
​​​​​​
Yes, no differentiation between awards or revenue tickets (including partner awards).
Old May 1, 18, 7:17 am

If I have a ET connecting flight that ismore than 8 hrs after I arrive at 7.00 but there are flights to the destination earlier that day, do I still qualify for the STPC?
Old May 1, 18, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer View Post
If I have a ET connecting flight that ismore than 8 hrs after I arrive at 7.00 but there are flights to the destination earlier that day, do I still qualify for the STPC?
Yes.

Search this Thread