Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Anyone know anything about the proposed new carrier "Norse Atlantic?"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone know anything about the proposed new carrier "Norse Atlantic?"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2023, 1:10 pm

I`ve been looking for flights Dec/Jan Lon to Sfo, but I can`r see any beyond October. Has the route been cancelled does anyone know?
Old Aug 28, 2023, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by HopefulTraveller
I`ve been looking for flights Dec/Jan Lon to Sfo, but I can`r see any beyond October. Has the route been cancelled does anyone know?
It is a seasonal flight and will restart in the Spring. Maybe LAX is year round.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 4:24 pm

Norse finally got out of the red and started making money in June. They guide Q3 will be their first profitable quarter. Then comes the though winter months, but they are not on the brink of collapse with a 85% load factor in July and $60M in cash. That cash should grow now, Q2 generated $100M revenues (but only June profitable) so a good summer season should deliver positive Q3 numbers, let´s see in October.

More interesting is what the future will hold for this company, Norwegian is flush with cash again but a pure shorthaul company, could they be tempted to buy Norse and get back into longhaul?
Old Sep 2, 2023, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by minhaoxue
It is a seasonal flight and will restart in the Spring. Maybe LAX is year round.
Thank you.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 3:47 am

Has anyone used Norse recently? It seems like things have really turned around for them, and they're now offering a regular schedule to JFK and LAX for months ahead. I was skeptical of the product but have done a bit of research and the cabins, seats, etc. actually look pretty good. I fly cabin baggage only and often don't eat the airline food, so maybe this would work for someone like me. I do really miss the old Norwegian Air flights to NYC. I used to book loads of them ahead of time and even if I had to miss the odd one because plans changed, you couldn't really go wrong for <£220 return.
wjm7733 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 7:03 am

Programs: StarWood Hotels-Gold, Loews Hotels-Gold, RCI-Diamond, HH Diamond
ANSWER WAS DISCOVERED!

Many thanks!

Last edited by CoHiba Gent; Sep 10, 2023 at 3:14 pm Reason: FOUND ANSWER
Old Sep 21, 2023, 3:10 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Plat, UA status-less after 15 years
Norse Atlantic review (after 4 flights)

Figured this might be helpful to someone who's looking at flying Norse.

We've used them for 4 flights now, both between JFK and Oslo and JFK and London Gatwick. Roundtrips to both, and we used both destinations as transfer points to either Easy Jet or Norwegian. The Oslo trip there were 8 of us, the Gatwick trip there were 7.

We purchased Norse Premium on all flights. Its akin to old school pre-lay flat business class on many airlines I've used over the past 40 years, generous recline, pretty wide, with footrests and decent headrests. I slept ok on both overnight flights going east. And was comfortable on both westbound legs.

The planes are 787s, so quiet, smooth and stable. The pilots on all flights were really professional, and the cabin crew to a person on all flights were really terrific. A marked difference from the US network carriers were so many FAs are nasty. We checked bags on all flights, and they arrived with no incident. All flights were either on time or early.

Our kids (in their 20s) used the IFE for movies, I used the seat outlet to run my laptop. There is no wifi, but I actually didn't care. Nice to be offline.... The food was included in our ticket package, and after many hundreds of flights on dozens of airlines in my life, I have no expectation for airline food, and what we got on Norse was totally fine.

All in all, I highly recommend Norse if you want a great value getting over the Atlantic. The cost of their premium seats, plus the cost from Gatwick to Athens was 40% less than the nonstop on United from EWR, and I got a decent nights sleep in the premium seats.

I really hope more people support this newish airline so they can continue on. Personally, I've given up on airline points schemes, as they have lost so much value, I just don't care anymore. I just want a decent seat on a plane to get me where I'm going. And Norse really deliver value.
pbjag, happychic, willoL and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by wingnuthead

We've used them for 4 flights now, both between JFK and Oslo and JFK and London Gatwick. Roundtrips to both, and we used both destinations as transfer points to either Easy Jet or Norwegian. The Oslo trip there were 8 of us, the Gatwick trip there were 7.

We purchased Norse Premium on all flights. Its akin to old school pre-lay flat business class on many airlines I've used over the past 40 years, generous recline, pretty wide, with footrests and decent headrests. I slept ok on both overnight flights going east. And was comfortable on both westbound legs.

The planes are 787s, so quiet, smooth and stable. The pilots on all flights were really professional, and the cabin crew to a person on all flights were really terrific. A marked difference from the US network carriers were so many FAs are nasty. We checked bags on all flights, and they arrived with no incident. All flights were either on time or early.

Our kids (in their 20s) used the IFE for movies, I used the seat outlet to run my laptop. There is no wifi, but I actually didn't care. Nice to be offline.... The food was included in our ticket package, and after many hundreds of flights on dozens of airlines in my life, I have no expectation for airline food, and what we got on Norse was totally fine.

All in all, I highly recommend Norse if you want a great value getting over the Atlantic. The cost of their premium seats, plus the cost from Gatwick to Athens was 40% less than the nonstop on United from EWR, and I got a decent nights sleep in the premium seats.

I really hope more people support this newish airline so they can continue on. Personally, I've given up on airline points schemes, as they have lost so much value, I just don't care anymore. I just want a decent seat on a plane to get me where I'm going. And Norse really deliver value.
Just curious, did Emirates, Delta, and American all want 40% more for their non-stop flights from NYC to Athens? If so, this sounds like a worthwhile savings given the size of your traveling party. Hope you enjoyed your trips!
Old Sep 22, 2023, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, WN A-List
I am doing LAX-LGW next week with them.. I'll post a review. The flights seem to have been very reliable the last few weeks. Obviously the old Norwegian planes, so they have wifi installed but Norse has no business model to license/sell it. It used to work pretty well.

For anyone shopping, the fares bounce around all over the place, so keep checking! I caught them at a weak moment and if was $320 in Premium! An extra $60 to select a decent seat. I did not need a checked bag but watch out for the 22 pound carry on restriction.
Really hope they survive the Winter. It looks like they cut a lot of the LAX-LGW for Nov on very recently and previously announced SFO-LGW would end in Oct.
No TSA PRE (as with EI) but I am guessing Global Entry will still work. Checkin probably a mess for non Premium with wrangling over ancillary bag fees!

Would be super careful booking an unprotected connection off of one of their flights (or any other airlines!)

One huge win is the ability to book one way flights without a penalty. Obviously you need to be careful about border required return ticketing, if you are not a dual National.

The separate interviews with the CEO and President on the Airlines Confidential podcast are well worth a listen on how they hope to survive and the fee strategy. The podcast is run by the ex Spirit CEO who knows a bit about fees!
Old Sep 24, 2023, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by jjbiv
Just curious, did Emirates, Delta, and American all want 40% more for their non-stop flights from NYC to Athens? If so, this sounds like a worthwhile savings given the size of your traveling party. Hope you enjoyed your trips!
Emirates does have a 5th freedom flight from EWR to Athens, and the coach fares were substantially higher at the time we booked. I kind of wanted to do that as its nicely run airline, and I love the oddity of these 5th freedom flights (did SIngapore JFK-FFT last year!). But our gang really wanted the premium seating on the overnight segment and business class on Emirates was like $8K or something bananas like that. Everyone was actually willing to pay a bit more for business class, but the fares across the board in business were ridiculously high for 7 people.

When we did the tickets (mid winter) all the US network carriers were at least 40% more than the combined fares we did on Norse/EZ. Only downside was the layover in Gatwick was a bit long as the Norse flight from JFK lands really early...6AM
jjbiv likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by phil94028
I am doing LAX-LGW next week with them.. I'll post a review. The flights seem to have been very reliable the last few weeks. Obviously the old Norwegian planes, so they have wifi installed but Norse has no business model to license/sell it. It used to work pretty well.

For anyone shopping, the fares bounce around all over the place, so keep checking! I caught them at a weak moment and if was $320 in Premium! An extra $60 to select a decent seat. I did not need a checked bag but watch out for the 22 pound carry on restriction.
Really hope they survive the Winter. It looks like they cut a lot of the LAX-LGW for Nov on very recently and previously announced SFO-LGW would end in Oct.
No TSA PRE (as with EI) but I am guessing Global Entry will still work. Checkin probably a mess for non Premium with wrangling over ancillary bag fees!

Would be super careful booking an unprotected connection off of one of their flights (or any other airlines!)

One huge win is the ability to book one way flights without a penalty. Obviously you need to be careful about border required return ticketing, if you are not a dual National.

The separate interviews with the CEO and President on the Airlines Confidential podcast are well worth a listen on how they hope to survive and the fee strategy. The podcast is run by the ex Spirit CEO who knows a bit about fees!
Cool on that podcast! Will definitely check it out.

You point on the carry on weight thing is interesting, as it goes to the in-airport experience many people complain about with smaller independent airlines. Norse, like other long haul (or even short haul small carriers) uses contract labor at the airport to check in and check bags, so service can be really inconsistent. We've had really good luck at JFK with gate agents there. I actually asked the check in agent at Gatwick how many airlines she works for daily and she said that lately, she was only doing Norse flights and really liked working for them.

She also mentioned that the Norse employees are very supportive of the contract gate staff.

Interestingly, the baggage lines weren't terrible. We were in premium, so really fast, but even economy while being a bit long, did move in both Gatwick, JFK and Oslo.

Agree completely that I hope they survive winter. They seem to be playing this game fairly prudently, cutting routes that they couldn't fill last year (we used them last winter to do the Aurora up above the arctic circle!). They also moved from FLL to MIA, which is probably smart. And they also cancelled the Berlin station it seems.

Also, on the fares and pricing, they seem to be working to fill the planes in the quiet season with pretty nice fare sales. One of our kids just bought RT to LGW for MLK weekend in premium for $650 which is insane for what you get.

The only real downside for us is that they are out of JFK, which is painful to get to under the best circumstances from where we live. Uber fares from JFK back to where we live in northern NJ was MORE than the airfare to London one way.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Uber fares from JFK back to where we live in northern NJ was MORE than the airfare to London one way.
If any of the major car-rental companies has an office near your home, you might investigate a one-day, one-way rental from JFK to your home. (But bring your own E-Z Pass transponder. )
jamiel likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
If any of the major car-rental companies has an office near your home, you might investigate a one-day, one-way rental from JFK to your home. (But bring your own E-Z Pass transponder. )
Awesome idea, done that in south florida a few times. Funny, the Lyft trip from the leafy northern NJ burbs to JFK was $65, but the return from JFK back to home was close to $300.... Uber was even more expensive, the larger car to fit more of us was close to $600.... My Norse premium flight from London to JFK was $453 (and that includes the crazy UK airport tax!!) To get 7 of us from JFK back to NJ was close to $1500 with Uber. We took the A train

I guess I could try a 1 way car rental from JFK returning in NJ. Never thought of that... thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2023, 3:05 am

Programs: AA 3MM

Flew on Norwegian TATL a lot pre-pandemic and agree with all noted in this post.

Flying Norse Atlantic next week LGW-MIA and have booked again on same route in a couple of months

Choosing "Premium Light" as travelling on business and only for a few days so can manage with the 10kg carry on limit. Also likely to not bother with seat assignments as with 43" minimum seat pitch am not really worried which seat I get. All in all, under $1200 rt for Premium on LGW-MIA, that is unbeatable compared to the major carriers.

Oh, and when I used them (Norwegian) before, I also loved the option of booking one way tickets, then I would often use miles to book one way on a legacy carrier to enable a long haul triangle trip (as we know, one way TATL tickets on legacy carriers are crazy pricey).

If anything to add to the review above, will do so when I get back
Old Oct 10, 2023, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, WN A-List
I did LAX-LGW a couple of weeks ago in Premium Light. Super nice crew and the food was actually better than my last United Polaris flight - which is more a United problem! Full open bar on board. No wifi on Norse, even though the planes have it installed.

The checkin at LAX a bit odd as it at T1 next to Southwest but avoids the mess at TBIT security as there were no lines early afternoon and the bus takes you to the far TBIT island. Norse do not to Pre so this was actually a plus.

One person in front of me in line at checkin. They absolutely were enforcing the 10Kg limit on the carry on, even for small excursions. The personal item was not weighed. Pushed off the gate right on time.

They have been cutting flights very significantly to LAX and abandoned SFO. My flight was full in Premium but very light in the back so probably a smart move to survive, which I hope they do! LGW is a much quicker airport than LHR.

Like TomCayman, I do one ways and Norse were a bit greedy on the way back so did a last minute pretty cheap miles ticket on United in premium plus. That flight on an ancient 777 was empty in the back and full in Polaris and Premium, so winter on the Atlantic has started.

Would strongly recommend them in Premium with the caveat that they may not survive (again) long term.
HadesNL and happychic like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.