Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP refunds has got to be the worst process at airline I've encountered

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2023, 4:57 pm
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

I don't know what's going on at TAP, but I came here just to share that this has to be the longest, least competent refund process I've encountered at an airline.

I booked a roundtrip flight from EU to US where the 24 hour refund rule should apply, and I cancelled it well within the 24 hour period. First refund (after submitting information via the very clunky web form) took ~2 weeks to be returned. But incorrect, only the taxes were returned.

Talking to an agent on the phone, he seemed well aware of this kind of error, and asked me to resubmit a complaint with the category "wrong refund", and here it is approx. 3 weeks later still no action on it.

How can something be this broken?
estrela likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 7:42 pm

Why bother? Charge it back on your credit card and be done with it.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 9:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
TAP once cancelled a flight I'd booked and had the cheek to refund less than I'd paid. I did a chargeback through my credit card and they paid the difference immediately without question. I suspect they are aware of TAP's refund games.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 11:43 am
TA
Original Poster

I'm willing to give them a little more time to follow some proper procedure and to not have to invoke a CC chargeback, but they're making it difficult.

I just received an email followup:
"Dear <TA>,
Thank you for contacting TAP Air Portugal.
We apologize for the inconvenience experienced in trying to contact TAP Air Portugal.
Kindly help us with the following information so that we can process the refund:
Account Holder Name
Name of Bank
Bank Country
Routing Number
Account number
Address
City
Local Zip Code
State
We are looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you for your loyalty to us. "
Are you kidding me. Asking me to send this over email. And I paid with a credit card.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 1:00 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
TAP plays stupid and slow to avoid giving money , as others said , connect with your credit card issuer or bank if issue doesnt get resolve after some time

Provide them whatever needed but if tap dont send money back then escalate it

Next time book your TP flight last minute or few days before departure , otherwise avoid them cause its regular TAP behaviour

They are cheap on TATL routes between US and Europe for a reason , and you got trapped into it

They will only act normally if US DoT fine them
tmac100 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
TAP is still reviewing my refund request - made 3 hours after I made the booking last week. Today I contacted my CC bank in Canada and requested a charge back. The bank did say the refund could take up to 15 days to appear on the CC statement.
estrela likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 8:50 am

It is on purpose. There is also no refund button even for fullflex business tickets.

Best thing is to sue TP. The situation is so bad that they are hiring English and German speaking legal staff in Portugal to handle all the claims.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by estrela
It is on purpose. There is also no refund button even for fullflex business tickets.

Best thing is to sue TP. The situation is so bad that they are hiring English and German speaking legal staff in Portugal to handle all the claims.
Smells like TAP has BIG money problems. 🙄😢
Old Jan 16, 2024, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
For tickets to or from the U.S., if you are entitled to a full refund, file a DOT complaint as soon as TAP refunds anything less than what you paid.

More information about filing a DOT complaint here:

https://www.transportation.gov/airco...umer-complaint

("File a Consumer Complaint")
estrela likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
For tickets to or from the U.S., if you are entitled to a full refund, file a DOT complaint as soon as TAP refunds anything less than what you paid.

More information about filing a DOT complaint here:

https://www.transportation.gov/airco...umer-complaint

("File a Consumer Complaint")
My ticket was LIS-MAN. So the charge back is my recourse. 🙄
Old Jan 16, 2024, 11:01 pm
TA
Original Poster

Doesn't every chargeback cost them like $30 in addition to the refund? How can this be worth their trouble? Just to delay the inevitable refund?
Old Jan 17, 2024, 1:04 am

I expect TP to object to the chargeback. They themselves are contesting clear claims in court and invoking force majeure in the event of a sick crew or technical defect. There is simply a mentality of lying, which is successful in Portugal, see the politics there. Fortunately, in other countries they fall flat on their faces. The math is also very easy: a simple clerk normally earns less than 1000 USD per month. If he rejects two cases a day, it's already a profit. Even in Portugal, productivity will be higher than that.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 2:43 am

I expect TP to object to the chargeback. They themselves are contesting clear claims in court and invoking force majeure in the event of a sick crew or technical defect. There is simply a mentality of lying, which is successful in Portugal, see the politics there. Fortunately, in other countries they fall flat on their faces. The math is also very easy: a simple clerk normally earns less than 1000 USD per month. If he rejects two cases a day, it's already a profit. Even in Portugal, productivity will be higher than that.
EU law is EU law. TP cannot fight it successfully in court.
estrela likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 10:20 am

I expect TP to object to the chargeback.
I did a chargeback against TP back in the first half of 2020 (admittedly covid times) but they never responded to the chargeback and I got a full refund. TAP's incompetence cuts both ways it seems, at least sometimes.
tmac100 and estrela like this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 4:25 am

Today I checked on TAP regarding the status of my refund application. The TAP website stated that the request for refund had been approved and to check with my bank regardjng the refund deposit into my account.

My, my. It would have been easier if TAP had just allowed me to upgrade the return leg of my LIS - MAN trip to Business class. But, they would not allow that upgrade - not even for cash. 🙄

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.