Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian Air LAX to MXP Cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by itsallgood
Well, they gave you correct information. There is a problem with the Rolls Royce Trent 1000 engines, which is the engine that Norwegian chose for their 787s. Due to abnormally high wear and tear, all Rolls Royce Trent 1000 engines need to be replaced on 787s worldwide. Some airlines have GE GenX engines on their 787s and are not effected by this. Just google Norwegian Rolls Royce and you can find a ton of articles on the subject. Norwegian has had to take a large number of their 787s out of service and wet lease some aircraft from other operators to help fill some of the gaps.

Any request you have to be compensated above a refund of what you paid will be rejected because of this. It's a legitimate cancellation. Norwegian is using this to cancel the route, but it's legal for them to do so.
I searched on the Rolls Royce website and didn't find information of that. But yes, now I've googled it and its on the newspapers. Sadly, there is probably nothing we can do.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by taniaP
I hadn't find any information about the engine problems in the Rolls Royce website. So I said that the company was cancelling the route, and that is under their control so there must be a compensation because is not for extraordinary circumstances. Then I did a search and found newspapers information about the engine problems. So maybe my complain will not have success.
Under EU regulation, a flight may be cancelled with just 2 weeks advance notice and no compensation is due.

The airline is obliged, however, to offer full reimbursement, travel via comparable means as soon as possible, or travel via comparable means on another date at the choice of the affected passenger.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:35 am

Rebooking

I was booked to fly this June 2$rd, and I called, and that was indeed cancelled. After an hour or more on the phone, they rebooked me on an Oakland to Rome flight, which wasn't a problem for me since I'm trying to get from Oregon to Bologna, but might be for other people. I wanted to get the LAX to Rome flight as my first pick, but the non-stop was sold out by the time they got to me. There should be alternative gliflig, however, through some Nordic countries or Gatwick.
Old May 11, 2018, 1:46 pm

Two things I want to say:

First- I was planning to use Norwegian about six months from now. Do you think the risk of bankruptcy is that high that I shouldn't take the risk

The above-mentioned posts imply a pretty sleazy pre-bankruptcy tactic. Same thing happened with a certain wine store in Berkeley that sold millions of dollars of wine on "futures" (you pay for the wine and receive it a few years later). The company went bankrupt and about $30 million was lost by these futures buyers
Old May 12, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
It happened the same to me. I can't believe it. I already booked a flight with Alaska to reach LAX. The conditions say that no compensation if the " cause for the delay or cancellation is due to extraordinary circumstances..like unforeseen circumstances that represent a safety hazard beyond our control.". In the email of the cancellation, they say that the reason is " Mandatory inspections from aviation authorities on a specific type of Rolls Royce engine have forced us to take aircraft out of service, which regrettably means we are not able to operate the Milan to Los Angeles route as planned" but this is for sure a lie, because they cancelled the route. Cancelling route is not an extraordinary circumstance and is under their control. They need to refound our tickets AND give a compensation!!!!
How can we act in this circumstance? Who do we refer to?
In this case - cancellation of a flight with more than 2 weeks notice - no compensation is due. It doesn't matter what the reason for the cancellation is [so the fact that they explained the reason for cancellation in this instance, and cited it as an extraordinary circumstance, is actually of no relevance at all to your case] - if they cancel and inform you more than 2 weeks before departure, no compensation is due.

However, they are supposed to offer you - under Articles 5 & 8 of EC261/2004 - the choice between reimbursement of the ticket, or re-routing (rebooking) of your flight under comparable conditions, either on the same day or at a date chosen by the passenger. This applies in all cases - regardless of the reason for the cancellation (so, again, their reference to "extraordinary circumstances" is not a get-off-the-hook clause for them).

Note that, whatever you choose (and I think you will struggle to get them to rebook you), they are not responsible for any additional costs you incur due to other non-refundable bookings already made around this trip.

Perhaps you have travel/credit-card insurance you can fall back on?
Old May 16, 2018, 2:26 pm
dss

Hi, I’m in a similar unfortunate boat. Our flight home map->lax was cancelled with the only alternative on the same day I can find being cdg to oak (oak is actually preferable for us) but getting to cdg would required $1300 in new money (family of four traveling).

any thoughts on how to approach Norwegian here? I should add that Norwegian hasn’t actually contacted about this yet (flight is in late June) and I’m tempted to leave it alone until the 2 week mark when they have to offer compensation but prob won’t since I don’t want to risk their aother options filling up. Thanks for any thoughts or advice!
Old May 17, 2018, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by dss
Hi, I’m in a similar unfortunate boat. Our flight home map->lax was cancelled with the only alternative on the same day I can find being cdg to oak (oak is actually preferable for us) but getting to cdg would required $1300 in new money (family of four traveling).

any thoughts on how to approach Norwegian here? I should add that Norwegian hasn’t actually contacted about this yet (flight is in late June) and I’m tempted to leave it alone until the 2 week mark when they have to offer compensation but prob won’t since I don’t want to risk their aother options filling up. Thanks for any thoughts or advice!
If getting to CDG from Milan (MXP/BGY/LIN) requires $1300 in new money, you're doing something wrong. $500-ish sounds like the most it should take, and that's assuming you get to CDG a day early and pay for a hotel night there. It's anywhere between $20 and $50 per person to get on an Easyjet direct flight MXP-CDG in late June, and $100ish on AF.
If they cancelled your MXP-LAX flight, it would be reasonable to expect them to put you on CDG-OAK instead. You could call Norwegian and ask that question, and see what they say.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:26 pm

Hello everyone,
I asked for refund of my ticket on the 9 of may, and havn't recieved any money back yet. When I applied for that, they said in 7-10 days I was going to get the money.
Did anyone of you have recieved any refund yet?
Old May 29, 2018, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Hello everyone,
I asked for refund of my ticket on the 9 of may, and havn't recieved any money back yet. When I applied for that, they said in 7-10 days I was going to get the money.
Did anyone of you have recieved any refund yet?
Simply initiate a chargeback with your credit card issuer (bank), noting that the flight was cancelled, you opted for a refund, were told it would be there in 7-10 days, more than that has elapsed and you wish the funds credited. You should see a credit relatively instantly (at least a temporary credit) while the card issuer offers the carrier the opportunity to challenge your facts. It won't and the credit will become final.

Don't put more into this than need be.
Old May 29, 2018, 1:12 pm

I bought the flight in february, I don't think that the bank will cancel the payment after all that time. Anyway, I will go and ask.
And I'm just trying to understand if someone else have experienced a delay in the payment. Not putting more than needed, just trying to understand.
Old May 29, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
I bought the flight in february, I don't think that the bank will cancel the payment after all that time. Anyway, I will go and ask.
And I'm just trying to understand if someone else have experienced a delay in the payment. Not putting more than needed, just trying to understand.
OK, debit or credit card?
Debit card = out of luck for a chargeback.
Credit card = Maybe able to do a chargeback. It has to be less than 60 days since the credit card company billed you for the ticket.

No one should be buying a ticket on Norwegian more than 60 days prior to travel AND they should only use a credit card. In addition, they should also buy trip cancellation insurance. While Norwegian's ticket prices seem like a bargain, they are selling their tickets below cost. A company can only do that for a while before it goes out of business. Norwegian is close to either going out of business of being sold to IAG.

See this link: https://hasbrouck.org/articles/bankruptcy.html
While that article applies to bankrupt airlines (Norwegian's very close), note the following - this part details time limitations of credit card chargebacks:

If I paid for tickets by credit card, and the airline goes out of business, can I get my money back from the credit card company?

In the USA, yes, but only if you paid by credit (not debit) card, the credit card bank is still solvent (in the current financial crisis, a major airline bankruptcy could push their credit card merchant bank into bankruptcy), the airline ceases service entirely, and you make a "chargeback" request in writing to the issuer of your credit card, no later than 60 days after the date that you received the first credit card billing statement that listed the charge for the tickets. If you buy tickets more than 60 days in advance, and the airline goes out of business more than 60 days after you got the bill for the tickets, it's too late to request a credit. This 60-day limitation is part of the same USA law that provides the right to a chargeback if you don't receive the goods or services, the Fair Credit Billing Act. It could be changed by Congress, but there has been no proposal in Congress to extend the 60-day chargeback request window.
Old May 29, 2018, 1:55 pm

I paid with debit card.

The point is that they cancelled the route, and they offered the option of refund or change. I chose the refund because I don't trust in that company anymore and thought was better not to have another ticket in risk of cancellation. I bought my flight in february to travel in June, because it was the cheapest I found and I had a reduced budget.

Since the company isn't bankrupt yet (to my knowledge), I pretend them to give me the money back. They offered that option and must follow that I think.
Old May 29, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
I paid with debit card.

The point is that they cancelled the route, and they offered the option of refund or change. I chose the refund because I don't trust in that company anymore and thought was better not to have another ticket in risk of cancellation. I bought my flight in february to travel in June, because it was the cheapest I found and I had a reduced budget.

Since the company isn't bankrupt yet (to my knowledge), I pretend them to give me the money back. They offered that option and must follow that I think.
Perhaps you misunderstood Often1 and me. If Norwegian's not refunding you, you would have been able to initiate a chargeback if you: 1) used a credit card, and 2) were billed by the credit card company less than 60 days ago. Often1 was simply offering an alternative to wasting a ton of time trying to extract a refund from Norwegian. In your case, you do not have any additional consumer protections so your only choice is to spend additional time contacting Norwegian for your refund.

While this information does not help you, perhaps it will assist someone else (there are many more people who read these forums than post on them) who opts to roll the bones and buy a ticket on Norwegian - as in using a credit card and buying travel insurance are pretty much mandatory if one buys a ticket with Norwegian. Given the amount of time spent trying to get resolutions by multiple posters to relatively mundane circumstances involving Norwegian, it is beyond me why anyone would continue to buy tickets from Norwegian.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:38 am

Where did you buy the ticket? There are different consumer protection laws in different countries.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Where did you buy the ticket? There are different consumer protection laws in different countries.
Likely US. She booked a flight on Alaska to get to LAX in order to fly LAX-MXP on Norwegian. While Alaska also serves Mexico and Canada, the probabilities favor US citizenship.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.