Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian Air LAX to MXP Cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Global Entry
Norwegian Air LAX to MXP Cancelled?

I was reading a recent article on TPG - https://thepointsguy.com/news/norweg...d-dreamliners/ "For the planned Los Angeles (LAX) to Milan (MXP) route scheduled to begin on June 16, Norwegian has decided to cancel the route entirely. On other routes, like Newark (EWR) to Paris Orly (ORY), Norwegian is cutting back its schedule, moving from daily to 6x weekly."

That states that Norwegian air in cancelling their LAX to MXP flights all together. So I went to the Norwegian website and found no news of this, and also still have my LAX to MXP flights with no word about them. Does anyone have a source on where he found this info and if it is true what I should do?
Old May 7, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Have you called Norwegian Airline and ask them?
Old May 7, 2018, 11:35 pm

I'm booked on one of the first LAX - MXP flights as well. I just got off the phone with customer service (hold time was 52 minutes) and they had no idea what I was talking about. She said there are no changes to my reservation. I told her to go to the Norwegian website and notice that the route is no longer available. She said "it is true that new customers cannot book, but there is nothing wrong with your reservation. If there are any changes, you will get notified."

My scheduled flight is less than half-booked. With no new reservation capability, I can't imagine they are going to keep this flight going. Plus, since nothing has changed with my reservation, there is no option to refund and book on another airline right now. It's a wait and see.

So frustrating.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:33 am

We just had our LAX to MXP flights cancelled but Norwegian is saying they don’t need to compensate us. Anyone know what to do next? We already have a bunch of prepaid stuff booked.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by amarine88
We just had our LAX to MXP flights cancelled but Norwegian is saying they don’t need to compensate us. Anyone know what to do next? We already have a bunch of prepaid stuff booked.
Let me guess. The flight is at least two weeks from when you were notified it was cancelled. No compensation under EC261.

Sometimes the cheapest airfare results in the most expensive trips.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by traveljosh
I'm booked on one of the first LAX - MXP flights as well. I just got off the phone with customer service (hold time was 52 minutes) and they had no idea what I was talking about. She said there are no changes to my reservation. I told her to go to the Norwegian website and notice that the route is no longer available. She said "it is true that new customers cannot book, but there is nothing wrong with your reservation. If there are any changes, you will get notified."

My scheduled flight is less than half-booked. With no new reservation capability, I can't imagine they are going to keep this flight going. Plus, since nothing has changed with my reservation, there is no option to refund and book on another airline right now. It's a wait and see.

So frustrating.
Josh, your ticket will be cancelled and money refunded. But it sounds like Norwegian is playing the cash juggling game which is something you often see in financially troubled companies.

As per EC 261, Norwegian can refund your ticket anytime more than two weeks prior to departure with no penalty.

I would recommend that you call again and try to get a full refund. As far as the long wait time, that is also a flag indicating that they're in deep financial trouble. It's a well known secret within the airline business that Norwegian is having financial difficulties; here's an article from last fall quoting Ryanair's CEO about Norwegian's finances: Ryanair CEO claims Norwegian is running out of cash and ?will not survive the winter? - Business Insider Nordic
Old May 8, 2018, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by amarine88
It happened the same to me. I can't believe it. I already booked a flight with Alaska to reach LAX. The conditions say that no compensation if the " cause for the delay or cancellation is due to extraordinary circumstances..like unforeseen circumstances that represent a safety hazard beyond our control.". In the email of the cancellation, they say that the reason is " Mandatory inspections from aviation authorities on a specific type of Rolls Royce engine have forced us to take aircraft out of service, which regrettably means we are not able to operate the Milan to Los Angeles route as planned" but this is for sure a lie, because they cancelled the route. Cancelling route is not an extraordinary circumstance and is under their control. They need to refound our tickets AND give a compensation!!!!
How can we act in this circumstance? Who do we refer to?
Old May 8, 2018, 8:35 pm

When I got the email this a.m., I requested a full refund. I didn't get an email or anything to confirm cancellation and, more importantly, a refund. After being on hold for over an hour, they told me that I would not receive any paperwork and that I would receive a credit on my credit card in seven (7) working days. If I didn't, I was to call back and speak to the refund department. Now all I can do is wait. So frustrating.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:59 pm

I have just submitted a complaint at the European Commission, maybe if we all do that they will hear us.
The site is very friendly and takes just 15 minutes for the complaint to be made. You can do it at:
ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr/main/?event=main.home2.show
Old May 8, 2018, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by taniaP
It happened the same to me. I can't believe it. I already booked a flight with Alaska to reach LAX. The conditions say that no compensation if the " cause for the delay or cancellation is due to extraordinary circumstances..like unforeseen circumstances that represent a safety hazard beyond our control.". In the email of the cancellation, they say that the reason is " Mandatory inspections from aviation authorities on a specific type of Rolls Royce engine have forced us to take aircraft out of service, which regrettably means we are not able to operate the Milan to Los Angeles route as planned" but this is for sure a lie, because they cancelled the route. Cancelling route is not an extraordinary circumstance and is under their control. They need to refound our tickets AND give a compensation!!!!
How can we act in this circumstance? Who do we refer to?
Well, they gave you correct information. There is a problem with the Rolls Royce Trent 1000 engines, which is the engine that Norwegian chose for their 787s. Due to abnormally high wear and tear, all Rolls Royce Trent 1000 engines need to be replaced on 787s worldwide. Some airlines have GE GenX engines on their 787s and are not effected by this. Just google Norwegian Rolls Royce and you can find a ton of articles on the subject. Norwegian has had to take a large number of their 787s out of service and wet lease some aircraft from other operators to help fill some of the gaps.

Any request you have to be compensated above a refund of what you paid will be rejected because of this. It's a legitimate cancellation. Norwegian is using this to cancel the route, but it's legal for them to do so.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
I have just submitted a complaint at the European Commission, maybe if we all do that they will hear us.
The site is very friendly and takes just 15 minutes for the complaint to be made. You can do it at:
Why would the european commission care?
Old May 9, 2018, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
What was the precise nature of your complaint?

Airlines are allowed to cancel routes; that they have not yet contacted you/refunded you/offered you rerouting doesn't mean that that they won't; I therefore fail to see what valid complaint you have at the present time.

Note that if the airline fails to notify you of a flight cancellation prior to two weeks before the flight was scheduled to operate, then compensation becomes payable as well.

It would also make more sense to contact the airline first.

Last edited by irishguy28; May 9, 2018 at 3:46 am
Old May 9, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
The European Commission has no authority over this. The Italian regulator does.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by duvin
Why would the european commission care?
Originally Posted by Palal
The European Commission has no authority over this. The Italian regulator does.
There was the link on the "Your passenger rights" section of the Norwegian Air website: " To resolve complaints, you may use the Online Dispute Resolution Platform" and it redirects to the European Commission.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
What was the precise nature of your complaint?

Airlines are allowed to cancel routes; that they have not yet contacted you/refunded you/offered you rerouting doesn't mean that that they won't; I therefore fail to see what valid complaint you have at the present time.

Note that if the airline fails to notify you of a flight cancellation prior to two weeks before the flight was scheduled to operate, then compensation becomes payable as well.

It would also make more sense to contact the airline first.
I hadn't find any information about the engine problems in the Rolls Royce website. So I said that the company was cancelling the route, and that is under their control so there must be a compensation because is not for extraordinary circumstances. Then I did a search and found newspapers information about the engine problems. So maybe my complain will not have success.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.