Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

La Compagnie - any recent experience with this airline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

La Compagnie - any recent experience with this airline?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Got it.

If I understand properly, what drove you really angry is the lack of information (or misinformation) more than the actual fact that you had to fly in an all-Y plane, which is understandable.

In practical terms though, if flying with a major, would you have decided not to fly, especially if the agent at the gate told you there was no alternative? I know. You would have liked to be asked, to be given the choice. You hated the fact that they made the decision for you. And this is again understandable.

So, the obvious fault of B0 is their poor communication which looks undeniable.

Regarding the service, I would personally prefer an all-Y plane with 3 seats to myself over a single Y seat in 10 abreast config in case of downgrade, but this is me...

BTW, how was the service on the Titan Air flight?

Last edited by carnarvon; Aug 20, 2019 at 1:03 am
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:19 pm

Hello Carnarvon,

Had I known that the plane was what it was, I would not have boarded it, whether it was with La Compagnie or any other carrier. I am 6' 4 tall, and have some back issues, so I would never willingly spend 9.5 hours in a seat where my legs are literally jammed into the seat in front of me (see the photo above). That is why I paid over $1500 one-way for a larger seat.

As to the service on the Titan Air flight, the flight attendants were polite. As mentioned above they knew little about what happened and were doing their best. The meal was just average. I chose the fish and it was dried out, but I do not fly for the food! They did come back once to offer a drink refill. The flight attendants said the food was from La Compagnie if that helps at all.

There were pillows and blankets from La Compagnie in plastic wrap. The pillows were fairly large, perhaps 2 foot square. However, there were not enough of them for all the passengers. I went to the bathroom in the back and upon returning saw the lady two rows ahead of me had taken my pillow from my seat. I asked her to return it and she sheepishly claimed that she did not realize anyone was sitting there. Really.

Then a few minutes later the lady up in 8C walked down the aisle looking left and right for something. She stopped at my row and looked at the guy across who was asleep (see the picture above). His pillow as at his feet, so after looking around she slid his pillow out and scurried back up to her seat. She did not wake him, thinking she had succeeded in her theft. When the fellow woke up a few hours later I mentioned to him that 8C took his pillow while he was sleeping, but he was so groggy and sore he didn't seem to care at that point.

That's when I realized this whole thing was a flying Fyre Festival - A company sells a premium experience, realizes that can't deliver, but is unwilling to cancel it, and sends the customers anyway who start fighting over the scraps.

I realize that you are booked to fly them in a day or two, and really hope that this does not happen to you. However, you seem to be a very experienced flyer, and now that you know this is possible, I am sure you will be able to determine if there are any changes before you board the plane and it is too late. Good luck!
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingFyre
- the airline does NOT inform you in advance
-> yes, also happened to me
As the article posted previously explains, the airline DID inform passengers about the downgrade, but it may not have been able to reach some passengers that booked through a TA and/or if they didn’t provide their contact details to B0.
Did your contact details show up when you checked your booking on the B0 website before the flight?

- at the gate, your BP generates a beep and you are told that unfortunately, you are going to fly Y, in a 10 abreast 777 seat.
-> Here is where things are different. The gate sign showed BO 102. When I presented the boarding pass it did beep and the lady exchanged my boarding pass for a different one. I asked her if everything was OK, and she said, "yes, everything is fine". So I then asked if anything had changed and she said, "No, it is all the same". I looked at the new boarding pass and it had the same flight (BO 102), same seat (23F), and Class C. It all looked the same, so I went through the gate fully expecting the plane and seat they sold me. Bait and Switch
1: The pictures you posted previously show the A321Neo business class configuration, not the B757 angle-flat seats that you would have experienced if B0 had operated the flight with the originally planned aircraft. If you had flown on the 757, would you still consider that a “bait and switch” since the seat would have been different from what you expected?

2: Had you looked up the B0 seatmaps ahead of time, you would have known that row 23 doesn’t exist on any of their aircraft, and you would have known that something wasn’t right.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by GFrye
As the article posted previously explains, the airline DID inform passengers about the downgrade, but it may not have been able to reach some passengers that booked through a TA and/or if they didn’t provide their contact details to B0.
Did your contact details show up when you checked your booking on the B0 website before the flight?

Hello GFrye,

Benji wrote that article about my experience with La Compagnie. I provided him with all the documentation of what happened, and since most of that contained personal information (like the emails described below), he could not publish it. To answer your specific questions:

1) My travel agent did have my correct email address and they used it to send me the itinerary and receipt.
2) When I checked in online I again entered my contact information, and La Compagnie successfully used it to email me the boarding pass.
3) Later La Compagnie also had my correct contact information from calls to their service center, emails to their service center, and giving my business card to their NY gate agent. They did not respond to any of these until the government regulators and journalists started calling in August.

So when Benji asked La Compagnie to comment on what happened, they CLAIMED that they tried to contact all the passengers, which is very different from "DID". I have shown documentation that they had my correct contact information and just did not use it. To try to be fair to both sides, Benji published their response.

Also, let's look at this from La Compagnie's perspective. The web is full of stories of them changing or cancelling flights and not communicating with their customers (see previous posts). So when a journalist calls up and asks if they did it again, are they going to say, "yeah, we swapped out a plane at the last minute and did not have time to let people know". Given that this is an ongoing problem I suspect they are trying to spin it as well as they can, and claiming that my travel agent somehow sent them my wrong email address (after that same travel agent emailed the itinerary to my correct account), allows them to save some face.

1: The pictures you posted previously show the A321Neo business class configuration, not the B757 angle-flat seats that you would have experienced if B0 had operated the flight with the originally planned aircraft. If you had flown on the 757, would you still consider that a “bait and switch” since the seat would have been different from what you expected?
There has been some talk about the difference between the business class seats on various La Compagnie airplanes. I am not really too fused about those details. Business class seats are big and recline nicely, sometimes all the way to flat. If they had put me in a business class seat that had a different style (pod versus open, partial recline vs lie-flat, etc.), then that would still be business class. Instead, I bought a big business class seat, and was given a small economy seat with any warning of notice of the change. So yes, that is a bait and switch.

2: Had you looked up the B0 seatmaps ahead of time, you would have known that row 23 doesn’t exist on any of their aircraft, and you would have known that something wasn’t right.
You make an interesting point here. I suppose I could have fully researched this airline, found out that they have three planes, and then looked up and studied the layouts of each of those planes. Then when I checked in online I could have compared the seat assigned to me to the possible seats on each of their planes. If it did not match then I would have a hint that something might have changed, even though the reservation and boarding pass said "business" class.

Seriously now, does anyone who is in a job the involved flying international business class really have time to do that? I don't.

When I bought a business class ticket, and the boarding pass said "business" class, I believed them. I don't anymore, and am sharing this story so that other international business travelers don't fall into the same trap.

Last edited by FlyingFyre; Aug 21, 2019 at 9:54 am Reason: spelling error
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:11 am
Suspended

Seriously now, does anyone who is in a job the involved flying international business class really have time to do that? I don't.
It would have taken you a couple of minutes, which I’m sure is much less than the time you have spent posting here. Apparently, you had the time to join FT and flood this thread with posts, but you didn’t have time to spend two minutes researching B0 aircraft configurations.

As you posted earlier, had you known ahead of time that you wouldn’t be flying on B0 aircraft with the expected business class seats, you would have changed your booking. But you didn’t take the time to find out.

Some people are proactive when it comes to finding things out, while others expect to be spoon fed all information.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:52 am

It would have taken you a couple of minutes, which I’m sure is much less than the time you have spent posting here. Apparently, you had the time to join FT and flood this thread with posts, but you didn’t have time to spend two minutes researching B0 aircraft configurations.

As you posted earlier, had you known ahead of time that you wouldn’t be flying on B0 aircraft with the expected business class seats, you would have changed your booking. But you didn’t take the time to find out.

Some people are proactive when it comes to finding things out, while others expect to be spoon fed all information.
Hello Again,

I am afraid that it would have taken me longer than 2 minutes to do the research you are proposing. As posted previously, both boarding passes said "BO 102", so this is not as simple as you suggest. But that really isn't the point.

It is not the passenger's responsibility to do detective work to find out if the business class seat they bought will be swapped out without notice. It is the responsibility of the airline.

Even La Compagnie agrees with this. Have a look at their customer service page, specifically paragraphs 2 and 10: https://www.lacompagnie.com/en/about/customer-service/. In this case they just did not follow their own policies.

Last edited by FlyingFyre; Aug 21, 2019 at 10:53 am Reason: removed extraneous quote
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:02 am
Suspended

1. “La Compagnie seat map” in google —>. https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/La...nformation.php
2. Quickly check seat maps
3. Realize that row 23 doesn’t exist on B0’s own aircraft, and a switch may have occurred.

How long would it take you to perform those steps?

Even La Compagnie agrees with this. Have a look at their customer service page, specifically paragraphs 2 and 10: https://www.lacompagnie.com/en/about/customer-service/. In this case they just did not follow their own policies.
#2 deals with delays, cancellations and diversions.
Was your flight delayed?
Did your flight get cancelled or diverted?

As another poster pointed out, the original aircraft went tech on the inbound flight that was scheduled to arrive a few hours before your flight departed. I’m somewhat surprised that they managed to find a replacement aircraft on such short notice. Would you have preferred that they canceled your flight instead?
carnarvon and nancypants like this.

Last edited by GFrye; Aug 21, 2019 at 11:17 am
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:34 pm

1. “La Compagnie seat map” in google —>. https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/La...nformation.php
2. Quickly check seat maps
3. Realize that row 23 doesn’t exist on B0’s own aircraft, and a switch may have occurred.

How long would it take you to perform those steps?

#2 deals with delays, cancellations and diversions.
Was your flight delayed?
Did your flight get cancelled or diverted?

As another poster pointed out, the original aircraft went tech on the inbound flight that was scheduled to arrive a few hours before your flight departed. I’m somewhat surprised that they managed to find a replacement aircraft on such short notice. Would you have preferred that they canceled your flight instead?
Speculating about the steps and time required to determine if the airline is misleading the passengers is drifting pretty far from the point. It is not the passenger's responsibility to research if what is purchased on the ticket, and printed on the BP, then confirmed by the check-in desk, then printed again on a second BP, then confirmed again by the gate agent is all simply not true. That is the responsibility of the airline.

La Compagnie agrees and states so on their website. Per your second question, read paragraph 2 more closely to see they state, "We will within 30 minutes after we become aware of a change in the status of a flight." They just did not do any of the things promised in para 2 or 10, or afterward in para 11 where they commit to responding to written complaints within 30 days.

And yes, it would have been much better if they just cancelled the flight. That happens occasionally, and there were plenty of other business class seats crossing the Atlantic that day.

I have already provided lots of information and documentation about this incident. Since some of the questions are starting to repeat, I encourage any new readers to go back to the beginning of the discussion on Aug. 10th to get a complete view of what happened on that flight and the followup. If anyone has further questions directly related to this incident, I will be happy to answer them.
Gnopps likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Hello Carnarvon, Had I known that the plane was what it was, I would not have boarded it, whether it was with La Compagnie or any other carrier. I am 6' 4 tall, and have some back issues, so I would never willingly spend 9.5 hours in a seat where my legs are literally jammed into the seat in front of me (see the photo above). That is why I paid over $1500 one-way for a larger seat. (...)
If you had refused to board, you would not have been reimbursed. They would reimburse if the flight was cancelled.

Anyhow, $1,500 will not take you far on a legacy carrier (not even a Y or W seat). A same day departure OW to NYC in business class would cost something like € 5,000.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:03 am
Suspended

Speculating about the steps and time required to determine if the airline is misleading the passengers is drifting pretty far from the point.
Your “point” was that you consider yourself to be a very busy person and therefore couldn’t spend two minutes to proactively verify that you’d be on B0’s aircraft. Like I said earlier, some people expect to be spoon fed everything.

You apparently have plenty of time to make over a dozen posts here, contact the DOT, and contact several journalists/bloggers, so you have invalidated your own “I didn’t have time to take proactive actions and therefore needed someone to spoon feed me everything” line of reasoning.

Per your second question, read paragraph 2 more closely to see they state, "We will within 30 minutes after we become aware of a change in the status of a flight."
Since paragraph 2 specifically deals with delays, cancellations and diversions, it is obvious that those are the types of flight status changes they refer to in that paragraph.
Again, did your flight get delayed, cancelled or diverted?
And yes, it would have been much better if they just cancelled the flight. That happens occasionally, and there were plenty of other business class seats crossing the Atlantic that day.
Since B0 doesn’t have a ticket interlining agreement with any airline flying across the Atlantic, B0 would not have rebooked you for free. They would refund what you paid for your ticket, and then it would have been up to you to book a new last-minute, one-way business class ticket.
For reference, a same-day, one-way, nonstop business class ticket from Paris to New York today costs more than $5,600.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by GFrye; Aug 22, 2019 at 5:50 am
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:01 am

Since B0 doesn’t have a ticket interlining agreement with any airline flying across the Atlantic, B0 would not have rebooked you for free. They would refund what you paid for your ticket, and then it would have been up to you to book a new last-minute, one-way business class ticket.
For reference, a same-day, one-way, nonstop business class ticket from Paris to New York today costs more than $5,600.
I think the rule is that they refund only if the flight is cancelled. If he had refused to board he would have forfeited his ticket.

As a result, despite the stated "I would have refused to board", he would quite likely have eventually boarded after he would have realised the cost of his intransigence and claimed downgrade compensation later (75% of ticket price).

Major airlines don't do any different. If they can accommodate the PAX on another flight, they do, but if they cannot they give you no choice other than : board and get compensated or go but claim nothing. The only legal obligation of the airline is to take the PAX to destination. Isn't it?
nancypants and GFrye like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by carnarvon
I think the rule is that they refund only if the flight is cancelled. If he had refused to board he would have forfeited his ticket.
I agree. My post was a direct response to his "it would have been much better if they just cancelled the flight".
My question to him is if he thinks it would be "much better" if B0 canceling the flight would have cost him an additional $4,000 (> $5,500 for a new ticket, $1,500 refunded from B0) to travel that day.
Perhaps he is under the impression that B0 would have rebooked him for free on another airline if he had refused to board or the flight had been canceled.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by GFrye; Aug 22, 2019 at 7:49 am
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:04 am

Perhaps he is under the impression that B0 would have rebooked him for free on another airline if he had refused to board or the flight had been canceled.
Indeed. If he had refused to board he would not have been accomodated on another flight by B0.

If the flight had been cancelled, B0 would have offered an alternative flight, but most likely the next day or later, and in all cases in Y! Hence my saying that what he experienced was way better than 10 abreast in a packed cabin.

Or refund.

His choice.
nancypants and GFrye like this.

Last edited by carnarvon; Aug 22, 2019 at 9:28 am
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold

When they fly on dollarama airlines they should though.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:34 am

Has anyone else had recent experience on La Compagnie? I understand their second Airbus is supposed to arrive in September now, though the La Compagnie page doesn't show it until later in October. Any insights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.