Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Icelandair now offering bids to upgrade 10 days before flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Icelandair now offering bids to upgrade 10 days before flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2022, 8:11 am
dss

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (I searched and could not find the answer). We are traveling SEA->KEH next Spring on an Alaska Air award. Will I still be allowed to bid on a class up auction or are partner award tickets prohibited? Also, if I purchase an extra legroom seat and do get upgraded, do I get a refund on the seat fees or is that a sunk cost?

Thanks in advance, first time on Icelandic Air.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by dss
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (I searched and could not find the answer). We are traveling SEA->KEH next Spring on an Alaska Air award. Will I still be allowed to bid on a class up auction or are partner award tickets prohibited? Also, if I purchase an extra legroom seat and do get upgraded, do I get a refund on the seat fees or is that a sunk cost?

Thanks in advance, first time on Icelandic Air.
Just wondering if you found out the answer to your question. We are going to bid on upgrades, but I will happily pay for row 6 (extra legroom) if I know I can be refunded should the upgrade be approved. If I won't get the refund, that will definitely hinder me from moving to row 6 in advance.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 10:51 am
dss

I actually did get at least half of my question answered. Yes, they do refund your seat fees if you win a class up auction, it's covered near the bottom on this page:
https://www.icelandair.com/support/o...e-legroom/More Legroom seats are non-refundable and non-transferable.

However, there are certain instances where a refund is granted: 
  1. If your flight is cancelled.
  2. If the More Legroom seat you have purchased is not available due to aircraft change.
  3. If you are accepted for a Class Up or if you purchase an upgrade.

I'm still unclear if I am even eligible to bid on a class up auction given we're on Alaska mileage awards and no one seems to be able to give us a definitive answer.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 8:01 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by dss
I actually did get at least half of my question answered. Yes, they do refund your seat fees if you win a class up auction, it's covered near the bottom on this page:
https://www.icelandair.com/support/o...e-legroom/More Legroom seats are non-refundable and non-transferable.

However, there are certain instances where a refund is granted: 
  1. If your flight is cancelled.
  2. If the More Legroom seat you have purchased is not available due to aircraft change.
  3. If you are accepted for a Class Up or if you purchase an upgrade.

I'm still unclear if I am even eligible to bid on a class up auction given we're on Alaska mileage awards and no one seems to be able to give us a definitive answer.
I have an answer for you.
I also booked an award flight with Icelandair using AS miles.
When I go to Icelandair and click Manage My Booking.
Tried to enter PNR for upgrade bidding. Reply was Not Eligible.

So, I have been able to figure out the following for AS Award economy booking on FI.
One checked bag is included.
No seat assigned without additional seat selection fee.
No bidding for upgrade.
Food preordered and paid before flight.
Hope this helps.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 7:07 pm
dss

Thanks for the insight. Have you already flown or are you within 10 days of departure? I believe the bidding only opens up 10 days prior to departure. Fwiw, we were able to assign seats in advance at no charge.
pcoll likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 3:41 pm

I booked the award travel for our daughter in August 2023. It is main cabin for 35,000 miles.

I am not able to find any seats in Economy without a fee. Perhaps you booked Partner Premium?

Also, their seat map is not accurate for 357-300 equipment, so not too excited to pay for seat that may or may not be the one she wants.

I see that You will be traveling soon. Happy travels.
I would love to hear how your experience goes…
Old Mar 4, 2023, 8:53 am

Update
Noticed that AS had business awards available now for our daughters flights.
Was able to change her to Saga Award seats.
So, now she has assigned Business Class ( Saga) seat , 2 checked bags and lounge access.
Flights are end of August and September 15.
goblazers likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.