Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Icelandair now offering bids to upgrade 10 days before flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Icelandair now offering bids to upgrade 10 days before flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by nologic
I don't understand what you "not sure if the fact I deleted..." what are you saying?

How do you know Saga is full?
My fault not a complete thought. I had bid for it, cancelled the bid and weeks later rebid. I wasn't sure if i lost my place in line (with time as a tiebreaker between amounts?) or if my bid just sucked that bad.

WHen i checked a few days ago the GDS was showing all seats open in front with the max number for sale (They only publish 4 at a time). Now you cant even buy saga on the website since its zeroed out. Website does show seats blocked and unassigned though that could be because of people without seat assignments
Attached Images  
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CDKing
My fault not a complete thought. I had bid for it, cancelled the bid and weeks later rebid. I wasn't sure if i lost my place in line (with time as a tiebreaker between amounts?) or if my bid just sucked that bad.

WHen i checked a few days ago the GDS was showing all seats open in front with the max number for sale (They only publish 4 at a time). Now you cant even buy saga on the website since its zeroed out. Website does show seats blocked and unassigned though that could be because of people without seat assignments
right, we'll, you can't get seat assignments for upgraded seats until online checking at T-24H.

But listening to your story, sounds like there goes the theory that few people bid for upgrades!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nologic
right, we'll, you can't get seat assignments for upgraded seats until online checking at T-24H.

But listening to your story, sounds like there goes the theory that few people bid for upgrades!
looks like they are using the last row of F for C+ since the GDS is only showing rows 1-4 as Business and 5 as Premium Economy
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
How do you get to the image shown in your post (can't include it in the quote). I'd like to look at the stats for my flights in June - are they viewable this far out?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
How do you get to the image shown in your post (can't include it in the quote). I'd like to look at the stats for my flights in June - are they viewable this far out?
Instructions to upload photos to FT directly into post vs linking

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26048909-post241.html

The flight info is available (on expert flyer) as soon as the flight goes on sale. Obviously the info changes since it's real time. Now I know that Iceland air converts rows back and forth from business, Y+ & Y (got kicked out of 7G because it converted from Y+ to Y back to Y+)
Old May 31, 2017, 4:19 pm

Here are a few more data points
I bid for economy comfort from economy

EWR=KEF- $110x2 ( I think this was $10 over the minimum) I did not expect to get it because there were only 2 economy comfort seats but the bid was accepted and we got Saga seats without the service.

KEF-SEA- $125 accepted. This was the minimum bid but there were quite a few seats vacant and I(just me on this flight) once again got a Saga seat.

I think this was a great bargain because the free coach food and lounge access saved me from having to buy airport food and the seats were a big upgrade over 3 in a row coach.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:34 am

We're thinking of traveling JFK-KEF in September. Any idea what the odds would be of getting upgrades Y to Saga if we bid a reasonable amount over the minimum?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Data point: $275 for Saga on 29 June, EWR-KEF, was not accepted.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:07 am

FI829/24JUN/KEF-PHL. Economy Comfort to Saga, 2 seats - Bid $195 each and was accepted.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Does the EC seat map adjust in size for each route?

I'm on an Economy Flex ticket originally in Row 18. When I got the bid up email I went to investigate as I booked this a while back and forgot where I was. It let me select row 12 on a 752 which according to the seat maps is in EC (i.e. blocked out middle seat like intra-EU J).
On the bid up offer it is showing EC and Saga as my bid up options even though I went in and out of the booking and the free row 12 seat selection held.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Does the EC seat map adjust in size for each route?
Icelandair seat maps are fluid based on sales on each flight and date. I recently flew out of Helsinki where Economy Comfort consisted of rows 5 & 6 (Saga seats, but EC service) and 7 & 9. Economy started at row 10.
​​​​​

​​​
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by PHLFlyer
Icelandair seat maps are fluid based on sales on each flight and date. I recently flew out of Helsinki where Economy Comfort consisted of rows 5 & 6 (Saga seats, but EC service) and 7 & 9. Economy started at row 10.
​​​​​

​​​
Confirmed my suspicions.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:26 pm

Thanks everyone for the DPs! Are most people waiting until the last minute to bid?

To get from Y to Y+ on flights from NA-Iceland and vice versa, I read that some bid $10-20 above the minimum. Is that in the light red or yellow zone?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:57 pm

Once you win an upgrade bid, can you choose any open seat, or do they auto-assign you without the ability to change seats? Particularly important on flights where Economy Comfort is partly in Saga Class seats.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by claurianta2
Once you win an upgrade bid, can you choose any open seat, or do they auto-assign you without the ability to change seats? Particularly important on flights where Economy Comfort is partly in Saga Class seats.
GLA-KEF $100 to Saga accepted. It assigned a seat but I was able to change it, can't speak for EC.
Thought it was decent price for the (crappy) lounge at GLA, priority security and I ended up having the seat next to me open on the flight as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.