Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Icelandair now offering bids to upgrade 10 days before flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Icelandair now offering bids to upgrade 10 days before flight

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by Trav1970
I have an upcoming FI booking in economy where Expertflyer shows availability as J9 Y4. In this thread it is suggested that upgrade bids would be accepted at T-72, but is this the case if Y gets to be sold out before that? Would FI process upgrades before T-72 to make additional seats available in Y or would they just overbook Y and upgrade at T-72?
Ok, responding to my own question. The flight mentioned above evolved from J9 Y4 to J9 Y0 before T-72. Upgrades were processed approximately at T-71, after which the availability went from J9 Y0 to J3 Y6. Also lower inventory classes in economy became available at that time. And for those interested, I was one of the ones vacating a seat in Y.
Old May 7, 2019, 6:30 am

If you don't mind me asking, what route did you bid on and what was your bid?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA plat, Hertz, gold , Bonvoy gold,IHGplat
I am flying SEA to KEF in Jan. At what point can I expect an email offer me to bid for Saga? Is there a way to access the seat map before bidding?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Srklaw7
I am flying SEA to KEF in Jan. At what point can I expect an email offer me to bid for Saga? Is there a way to access the seat map before bidding?
About 10 days before your flight you will receive an email. Instead of waiting for the email, you can go to icelandair.com and log in with your travel information. From there you can bid, select an EY seat, or pay for a seat in the front (or emergency row).
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:57 pm

I went to the Icelandair website, where it allows one to bid to upgrade to saga class. I am in economy having bought a heavily discounted ticket to travel from SEA to RKV. in Jan. It says I will receive notice 36 hours prior to the flight as to whether my bid was accepted. Does any know what determines the success.? Is it just the amount, or the timing of your bid or the cost of your original ticket? I am curious as to what the perimeters are. Should I just bid now or wait? I would like to know what past experience has been.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Delta Plat, HHonors Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Silver
I went to the Icelandair website, where it allows one to bid to upgrade to saga class. I am in economy having bought a heavily discounted ticket to travel from SEA to RKV. in Jan. It says I will receive notice 36 hours prior to the flight as to whether my bid was accepted. Does any know what determines the success.? Is it just the amount, or the timing of your bid or the cost of your original ticket? I am curious as to what the perimeters are. Should I just bid now or wait? I would like to know what past experience has been.
Last few time I've been on the "light" tickets, bid the minimum, and have always been upgraded (usually 36-72 hours). Saga Premium has also never been full, so I think they accept pretty much everyone if there's room. This is for YVR-KEF (or reverse)
Old Sep 9, 2019, 5:43 pm

I went to the website and bid the minimum. Its for SEA to KEF. The minimum on the day I bid was $360. So I shall wait to hear.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 6:09 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
We fly tonight BOS-KEF. Original bidding options were in the low/mid $200's, I hoped prices would drop as we got closer to today but no change.

But they did move us out of the Emergency row (that we paid extra for) into a regular row due to "an equipment switch" (it's the same equipment) so we will have to deal with that later.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 5:23 pm

Does anyone have an opinion on whether the $360 bid for Saga upgrade will be successful. Its for a flight in Jan SEA-KEF.?
Old Oct 10, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Does anyone have an opinion on whether the $360 bid for Saga upgrade will be successful. Its for a flight in Jan SEA-KEF.?
I would say that the chances are fairly good. I have gotten bids accepted for less money
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:51 pm

I bought the tickets (SEA-KEF) on a package tour, very cheap, from Fleetway. Does anyone have an opinion on whether that will have an affect on my upgrade bid being accepted?
Old Jul 29, 2021, 9:13 am

Just a bump to this thread. Flying IAD to KEF in Economy in mid-August, minimum bid for Saga Class upgrade is $185 each way. Purchasing Saga outright costs $2200 vs. $1050. We will see how this goes.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 1:13 pm

Recent datapoint for anyone interested, we flew out iad-kef 9/5, on EF there were 8+ free seats in J, at the 72ish hour mark 6-7 seats were changed to blocked. We bid the minimum 185 and did not get upgraded (2 pax). We were notified at T-8 that our bid was declined. On the return, kef-iad same # of seats open, bid 205 (min was 185) and were upgraded at T-73. It was a nice way to come home, the KEF lounge is really comfortable and if I had to pick a direction, going home was definitely preferred. The priority boarding for our flight did not really change anything as we were all boarded onto a bus and then sent up the stairs by whoever was closer to the front doors. But there was ample overhead baggage space.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by sempervivum
Recent datapoint for anyone interested, we flew out iad-kef 9/5, on EF there were 8+ free seats in J, at the 72ish hour mark 6-7 seats were changed to blocked. We bid the minimum 185 and did not get upgraded (2 pax). We were notified at T-8 that our bid was declined.
Does blocked mean those seats were bought as J? I take at this means J went out full.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 10:20 am

I believe the blocked seats were the ones that were accepted upgrade bids. Not sure if it's because of covid/no olci but they didn't show as the solid taken. The empty seats flew out empty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.