Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Hertz Discount Brand

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2013, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

New Hertz Discount Brand

I heard FireFly, Hertz's discount brand in Europe, is expanding to the US, now that Hertz has spun off Advantage. It will supposedly take Hertz CDPs and PCs, but use older, high mileage cars retired from the Hertz fleet.

Hertz now owns Dollar/Thrifty, and presumably would send their cast-offs to the Dollar/Thrifty leisure customers. So what's the point of FireFly?

Besides, isn't starting up a second discount brand engaging in the same kind of monopolistic behavior that was supposed to be avoided by forcing their divestment of Advantage?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 1:00 pm

Consumer radio show host Clark Howard just spoke about Firefly on his show this afternoon. He referenced the failed Wheelz, and that Hertz determined how leisure travelers rarely book through Hertz, as they consider it expensive and just for business travelers. Mr. Howard said that Hertz's Firefly will now fill that void for leisure rentals, and he seemed all for this new competition.

Some of Howard's 'fans' on his website like to let him know how wrong he is, so maybe Firefly will be one of those topics.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:59 pm

I had a 15-day rental reservation booked in early October with Firefly at MCO but have since cancelled it. I was able to make an identical reservation through Hertz for $40 less.

Hertz and Firefly seem to share a common booking system, but it appears that reservations made under the Firefly pricing system do not qualify for any of the Hertz CDP or PC discounts.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriott
Originally Posted by everDraed
Hertz and Firefly seem to share a common booking system, but it appears that reservations made under the Firefly pricing system do not qualify for any of the Hertz CDP or PC discounts.
That's correct & much the same as the Advantage brand was run while under Hertz's control. A few of the CDPs were valid for both Hertz & Advantage but by and large most CDPs which worked on Hertz would not work on Advantage. It appears they have carried over the same philosophy with how the run the Firefly model. At least for now...
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:07 am

Firefly just showed up...

at the SJC airport. A paper sign on the wall marks their presence, with a one terminal station squeezed in between Fox and Thrifty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.