Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

what do you think of this [refund of Y seat fees after upgrade to J?]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2023, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Paid about $200 for reservtions of exit rows- coach- Fiji airways.. A few days later, I was offered to bid for J. Put down real low bids but still got seats in J both ways. I then called Fiji air to explain and get a refund for the upgraded coach seats.which I obvioiusly did not use. Agent said those reservations were not refundable so i am out that money. Fine print somewhere?

Fair?
Old Jul 25, 2023, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by ente_09
Paid about $200 for reservtions of exit rows- coach- Fiji airways.. A few days later, I was offered to bid for J. Put down real low bids but still got seats in J both ways. I then called Fiji air to explain and get a refund for the upgraded coach seats.which I obvioiusly did not use. Agent said those reservations were not refundable so i am out that money. Fine print somewhere?

Fair?
Did you look for the fine print, and read it closely, or just assume the seat reservation fee would be refundable?
farci likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 12:44 am

This is normal - when bidding the system takes into account what you have already paid for the upgraded seats. I'd consider myself lucky to get winning bids both ways.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 6:49 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving to the Other Asian / South Pacific Airlines for further discussion. Also, as a reminder, FlyerTalk Rules ask members to post clear and descriptive thread titles (https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules#threadtitles). Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz moderator
Old Jul 26, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I think most airlines state in their economy seat 'buyup' policy that it's non-refundable unless they involuntarily downgrade you again. That's pretty standard across the board. I'd never pay for an economy 'upgrade' to a better seat in the same cabin if I hoped to later upgrade to a different cabin. Most likely those 'better' seats for sale will still be there until OLCI opens if you don't get your upgrade. I've been on several LCC flights without a business cabin where I paid for the Exit Rows and had no one else next to me on an otherwise crowded flight, so it proves the point that there are A LOT of people buying the absolute cheapest fare possible and won't pay a penny extra for comfort. Consider it a privilege tax this time, but generally on airlines that don't have alliance wide benefits (like OneWorld Emerald getting free seat selection on virtually every <withhold AA> OneWorld airline) you can wait it out a bit on your exit row purchase.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
deleted, didn’t realize thread was moved

Condor issue isn’t exactly relevant geographically

Last edited by jrl767; Jul 26, 2023 at 6:53 pm
Old Jul 27, 2023, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ente_09

Fair?
Fair is not really the question. Did you read the conditions for the paid exit row seats? I’ll wager that there is information that they are non-refundable in cases where you are operationally upgraded or bid for an upgrade. AirNZ make this plain when you pay for exit row / bulkhead seats.

If you didn’t read the conditions and just assumed they’d be refundable in your circumstances, then that is entirely on you.

[edited to add]

The refund conditions for various seating types is trivial to locate and is very clear:

You will be eligible for a full refund of the amount you paid for Seat Selection if:

(a) you cancel your Seat Selection more than 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure time, subject to your fare rules;

(b) for any reason your Seat Selection is not available and we are unable to seat you in an equivalent or better seat type;

(c) we transfer you to a flight not operated by Fiji Airways for operational reasons; or

(d) you have a fully refundable ticket and you request a refund of your ticket; in this case, we will refund both your ticket and any amounts paid for Seat Selection.

You will not be eligible for a refund if you:

(a) cancel your non-refundable booking or change your mind;

(b) have purchased (or someone else purchased on your behalf) the wrong seat by mistake;

(c) are upgraded;

(d) breach these terms and conditions; or

(e) cannot meet the requirements for an Exit Row Seat (if your preferred seat is an Exit Row Seat).
source: https://www.fijiairways.com/manage/s...nd-conditions/

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jul 27, 2023 at 2:40 pm Reason: exit row seat conditions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.