Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

China Eastern MU5735 737-800 [not MAX] Crashed 21 March 2022, 132 onboard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2022, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
WELCOME, MODERATOR GUIDELINES and SUMMARY
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel (not politics or arguments about politics or religion, etc.)

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, please remember "welcoming, respectful" are key words on FlyerTalk.

As with previous accident threads, please observe the following in this thread:

1. The normal FT Rules apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected to respect our diversity, and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Reasonable speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously may be summarily deleted. Moderator actions may not be discussed in posts on FlyerTalk.

5. FlyerTalk complies with international copyright agreements. Please do not post full copyrighted articles; summarize the salient points, cite properly and post links. Entire copyrighted articles will be summarily deleted.

6. In addition, those who repeatedly fail to comply with FlyerTalk Rules or the guidelines for this thread may be subjected to FlyerTalk disciplinary actions and have membership privileges suspended, forum masks, etc.
Print Wikipost

China Eastern MU5735 737-800 [not MAX] Crashed 21 March 2022, 132 onboard

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2022, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The longer this takes I would suspect human error, which the chicoms are loathe to admit.

If it the working theory a Boeing part or system or metal fatigue it would come out quickly as they would need to inspect other planes.
nancypants and Sandeep1 like this.
Old May 9, 2022, 8:16 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Originally Posted by Boraxo
The longer this takes I would suspect human error, which the chicoms are loathe to admit.

If it the working theory a Boeing part or system or metal fatigue it would come out quickly as they would need to inspect other planes.
A thorough investigation just takes time. There are plenty of examples in past history in which human error was not the cause and yet it took quite some time to analyze. Don't forget that the first step is getting the data from the flight data recorder and listen to the flight voice recorder and then to map these two. This takes some time. For non-human reasons, this gives usually some hints which needs a deeper look into, i.e searching any parts of what has been left.

I would say, quite the contrary is true. Human error usually can be found rather quickly by going through the flight voice recorder and flight data recorder. The longer it takes to get results, the lower the likelihood for a human error.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Scrooge McDuck; May 9, 2022 at 8:47 am
Old May 9, 2022, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck
A thorough investigation just takes time. There are plenty of examples in past history in which human error was not the cause and yet it took quite some time to analyze. Don't forget that the first step is getting the data from the flight data recorder and listen to the flight voice recorder and then to map these two. This takes some time. For non-human reasons, this gives usually some hints which needs a deeper look into, i.e searching any parts of what has been left.

I would say, quite the contrary is true. Human error usually can be found rather quickly by going through the flight voice recorder and flight data recorder. The longer it takes to get results, the lower the likelihood for a human error.
Disagree, before a foreign government will confirm pilot suicide, they will painstakingly comb through every inch of evidence in existence to basically prove that the plane couldn't/didn't have an issue.
Old May 9, 2022, 10:14 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Disagree, before a foreign government will confirm pilot suicide, they will painstakingly comb through every inch of evidence in existence to basically prove that the plane couldn't/didn't have an issue.

They will always find an issue, but the interaction with the crew requires subjective judgements which don't quite make it into the report.

At least the rest of the world's safety departments get to make their own responses to the event. Most of the public want everything in black and white so they have something to blame
Old May 17, 2022, 10:36 am

Again, while those other possibilities can't be entirely eliminated, mechanical failures don't often result in planes straight nose-diving to the ground. Regardless, this is a thread for speculation since none of us here actually know what happened. My speculation, FWIW, is this was pilot suicide.
​​​​​​
As I said all along! "China Eastern Black Box Points to Intentional Nosedive"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-e...ts_pos1&page=1

LarryJ maybe now you understand?

Originally Posted by LarryJ
Again, I don't understand why everyone is focusing on an intentional act. That's possible, but there's nothing in what we know so far which suggests it is likely.
Milwaukee likes this.

Last edited by Sandeep1; May 17, 2022 at 10:45 am
Old May 17, 2022, 11:21 am

“The plane did what it was told to do by someone in the cockpit,” said a person who is familiar with American officials’ preliminary assessment, which includes an analysis of information extracted from the plane’s damaged flight-data recorder.
Ibid.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
​​​​​​

Concur. People were denigrated for raising this theory but as it turns out the evidence supports this conclusion.

And unfortunately is not without precedent.
Milwaukee and Sandeep1 like this.
Old May 17, 2022, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Concur. People were denigrated for raising this theory but as it turns out the evidence supports this conclusion.

And unfortunately is not without precedent.
Indeed. I have no issue with spirited debates. I have an issue with people being condescending and using their "job" to be dismissive of others. Guessing these folks won't be chiming in from this point on.
Cholula likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 3:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Terrifying news all around. 3 pilots (main, co-, and shadowing) in the same cockpit, no sign of terrorism/no one attempted to break into the cockpit, no emergency code spoken on the recording, and yet with 3 people in the same pit, the plane nosedived in a almost 90 degree angle. Flight recording data has enough evidence showing the 3 of them had an agreement/intended allowing this to happen.

Not a single peep from the Chinese media.
Old May 17, 2022, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Terrifying news all around. 3 pilots (main, co-, and shadowing) in the same cockpit, no sign of terrorism/no one attempted to break into the cockpit, no emergency code spoken on the recording, and yet with 3 people in the same pit, the plane nosedived in a almost 90 degree angle. Flight recording data has enough evidence showing the 3 of them had an agreement/intended allowing this to happen.

Not a single peep from the Chinese media.
I'll be curious on the backstory of how 3 pilots all agreed they wanted to die on the same flight.
Boraxo, percysmith and mtofell like this.
Old May 17, 2022, 6:44 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Indeed. I have no issue with spirited debates. I have an issue with people being condescending and using their "job" to be dismissive of others. Guessing these folks won't be chiming in from this point on.
Your pointed arguments against others on this forum." I told you so" are hollow no matter how long you repeat them.in posts

Of course your speculation won the race, but there were many other competing theories as well still looking for evidence
notquiteaff, wrp96 and Dave510 like this.
Old May 17, 2022, 7:12 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I'll be curious on the backstory of how 3 pilots all agreed they wanted to die on the same flight.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.
ProleOnParole likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
From a human nature perspective, this is highly unlikely, except maybe as revenge against the employer, insurance scheme, protest against overwork and the local dictatorship over there, and such. Or perhaps part of the "lying flat" movement, preceded by lying vertical first...

The ‘lying flat’ movement standing in the way of China’s innovation drive
Old May 18, 2022, 3:02 am

Well somewhat unsurprisingly, China is never transparent to its own people. According to Reuters report:

"Screenshots of the Wall Street Journal story appeared to be censored both on China’s Twitter-like platform Weibo and messaging app Wechat on Wednesday morning.

The hashtag topics “China Eastern” and “China Eastern black boxes” are banned on Weibo, which cited a breach of relevant laws, and users are unable to share the story in group chats on Wechat.

The CAAC [had previously] said on April 11 in response to rumours on the Internet of a deliberate crash that the speculation had “gravely misled the public” and “interfered with the accident investigation work.”"
Old May 18, 2022, 4:42 am

​​​​​​

I find it interesting that you single out one quote to try and prove a point. LarryJ never said it was not intentional, just that it was premature to conclude that, which is an entirely reasonable take. As his posts made clear, it was about keeping an open mind, and not jumping to conclusions on something when you have no data to back it up (which anyone saying this was obviously intentional, without seeing any of the data recorder data, would be talking out their rear end). Thank goodness most users in this thread aren't actual investigator, or we'd never get to the root cause of accidents since they would latch on to the most sensational or first theory they come up with.

Ever heard of confirmation bias? If you go into it

The known information is consistent with a high-altitude upset. It's also consistent with an intentional act. It's also consistent with an unknown mechanical failure. It's likely also consistent with possibilities that we haven't thought of yet.

We aren't going to be able to start eliminating possibilities until we get the information from the flight recorders. I wouldn't be surprised if some information from them comes out within the next week.
I do not believe that the airplane can do with in normal flight. The wing would have to be stalled. That's not based on any calculations, just my experience flying the airplane.

Again, I don't understand why everyone is focusing on an intentional act. That's possible, but there's nothing in what we know so far which suggests it is likely.
The lack of comfort with the alternatives does not increase the likelihood of your preferred explanation. Look at the data. As of today, there isn't enough information to draw conclusions.

I have a few theories of my own but they, similarly, do not have anything yet to back them up so I keep them to myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.