Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

China Eastern MU5735 737-800 [not MAX] Crashed 21 March 2022, 132 onboard

Old Mar 21, 2022, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
WELCOME, MODERATOR GUIDELINES and SUMMARY
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel (not politics or arguments about politics or religion, etc.)

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, please remember "welcoming, respectful" are key words on FlyerTalk.

As with previous accident threads, please observe the following in this thread:

1. The normal FT Rules apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected to respect our diversity, and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Reasonable speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously may be summarily deleted. Moderator actions may not be discussed in posts on FlyerTalk.

5. FlyerTalk complies with international copyright agreements. Please do not post full copyrighted articles; summarize the salient points, cite properly and post links. Entire copyrighted articles will be summarily deleted.

6. In addition, those who repeatedly fail to comply with FlyerTalk Rules or the guidelines for this thread may be subjected to FlyerTalk disciplinary actions and have membership privileges suspended, forum masks, etc.
Print Wikipost

China Eastern MU5735 737-800 [not MAX] Crashed 21 March 2022, 132 onboard

Old Mar 26, 2022, 7:47 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by jizen
From the 6th press conference on March 26
1, 1st debris found 10km away from crash site has been determined as trailing edge of the winglet
2, Another 8x3 cm debris found 12km away, might be from the same wingjet debris
3, Emergency locator transmitter of second black box found, no sign of second box yet
4, The identity of 120 victims out of 132 people on board has been determined by DNA identification
5, No explosive components found at China plane crash site

Source in Chinese media/Xinhua website/CGTN etc

On chinese Tiktok, local residents are saying that the government will reward them whoever find more debris nearby, away from the main crash site

Oh boy, the local junk yards are going to gave a field day selling all kinds of car parts for gardening in the woods
Old Mar 26, 2022, 8:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
What is there to talk about though until more data is released?
I think that’s exactly why this has mostly disappeared from news coverage in the U.S., at least. If evidence of a particular cause emerges, it will get plenty of coverage.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CCTV is reporting that they found the Flight Data Recorder.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 12:17 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
yup, popped up on the news aggregator here.

Here's hoping both "black" boxes yield data
SxMan likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by username
CCTV is reporting that they found the Flight Data Recorder.
They also said that they didn't find any explosive residue at the crash scene in the debris.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ
The aircraft and engine manufacturers are normally invited to participate as parties to the investigation.
Perhaps "normal" when crashes is here. This is, after all, an oversea crash. Even inviting NTSB isn't a guarantee (I know they did).
I am sure if there is technical questions only Boeing can answer, they will be asked. Besides that, I can't imagine their presences being crucial for the investigation.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 6:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

A good update of info so far.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...oeing-737.html
Search teams have recovered the second black box from the wreckage of the China Eastern 737-800 as authorities have now confirmed all passengers and crew were killed in the crash.

The recovery of the second black box should allow experts to begin piecing together what caused the plane to nosedive into the mountainous terrain in rural China last Monday.
{mod added quote from story to comply with rules)

Last edited by l etoile; Mar 27, 2022 at 9:03 am
Old Mar 27, 2022, 8:05 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by chrisfwm
Perhaps "normal" when crashes is here. This is, after all, an oversea crash. Even inviting NTSB isn't a guarantee (I know they did).
I am sure if there is technical questions only Boeing can answer, they will be asked. Besides that, I can't imagine their presences being crucial for the investigation.

Give a thought to the final report taking years to be released and a finding that something went wrong with the product and it's up to Boeing to figure out what to do let alone Airbus and others might have a similar product.This has happened before and it shouldn't happen again.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Give a thought to the final report taking years to be released and a finding that something went wrong with the product and it's up to Boeing to figure out what to do let alone Airbus and others might have a similar product.This has happened before and it shouldn't happen again.
Well said. This is why it is so important to understand what was/were the cause(s) of this tragedy and what effects had this on the plane and its fate.

Lukily, this has been the case in the last decades in civil aviation. Otherwise, we would have these crashes on a weekly baiss. Just look at the historic data way back in the 60s in terms of number of accidents and keep in mind that today we have a multiple of the number of flights in comparison. I am pretty sure, that Boeing, Airbus, ... and (hopefully) all airlines will learn of this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck
Well said. This is why it is so important to understand what was/were the cause(s) of this tragedy and what effects had this on the plane and its fate.

Lukily, this has been the case in the last decades in civil aviation. Otherwise, we would have these crashes on a weekly baiss. Just look at the historic data way back in the 60s in terms of number of accidents and keep in mind that today we have a multiple of the number of flights in comparison. I am pretty sure, that Boeing, Airbus, ... and (hopefully) all airlines will learn of this.
The only thing we can hope for is that it's not an issue that needs to be immediately addressed by other airlines. If it is, and the report takes an extended period of time, that's very, very bad.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Given how long the 738 has been around and in huge numbers, and after reading that "book" mentioned above, I think it is less likely it will be an urgent 738 design or airworthiness issue but rather more likely to be a maintenance/weather/human error (or even sabotage) issue...
Old Mar 27, 2022, 10:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by nk15
Given how long the 738 has been around and in huge numbers, and after reading that "book" mentioned above, I think it is less likely it will be an urgent 738 design or airworthiness issue but rather more likely to be a maintenance/weather/human error (or even sabotage) issue...
I agree with this..... I can't imagine some new, groundbreaking issue finding the 737-800 has a major problem. This variant of the 737 has proven to be one of the most reliable in the history of modern aviation.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by mtofell
I agree with this..... I can't imagine some new, groundbreaking issue finding the 737-800 has a major problem. This variant of the 737 has proven to be one of the most reliable in the history of modern aviation.
What if it’s an issue that only manifests over a certain time (though admittedly have no idea what that would be)?
Old Mar 27, 2022, 10:29 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
What if it’s an issue that only manifests over a certain time (though admittedly have no idea what that would be)?
This was a relatively new plane.
ProleOnParole likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 10:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Yeah, I always think of that. # of cycles (take-offs/landings) to cause parts to fatigue. I know A LOT of planning with respect to that goes into engineering/design and this wasn't that old of a plane. Of course, anything is possible and that's why there is such an extensive investigation. That being said I'd be very surprised if this is the beginning of a massive problem with this plane. I'm getting on one in two days and have zero elevated fear as a result of this incident.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.