Community
Wiki Posts
Search

K Chang (Former EVA CEO) and His New Starlux Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2019, 3:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by username
Their PR is on high gears. Here is one of the profiles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5-32VLhJe4
They published their FA uniform last month. My first reaction to their uniform was: ordinary, boring and depressing. The entire dress is one color: either grey or brown. (they claim to be silver or gold, but honestly they look more like grey, brown). From a distance, these FA look like a group of janitors. The uniform is designed by a local Taiwanese designer, who apparently lacks the exposure to international fashion sense.
I still remember when Hainan Airlines came out with their new uniforms a couple years ago, it was such a big hit, their pictures were all over the internet.

Last edited by Mama; Nov 2, 2019 at 10:19 am
Old Nov 1, 2019, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I remember him talking about the uniform - that he did not want contrasting colors like CI or other airlines did. I wonder how many decisions he is making vs. letting the professionals in each area decide.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 10:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by username
I remember him talking about the uniform - that he did not want contrasting colors like CI or other airlines did. I wonder how many decisions he is making vs. letting the professionals in each area decide.
Oh dear, this is the first bad sign if he, the owner/CEO/president of the corporation, actually tell designers what to do, instead of leaving it to the hands of experts.
By the way, their pilots uniform are casual and sporty. These uniforms look good on younger pilots, but on older pilots, these sporty uniform may look funny... imagine grandpa wearing form-fit tight jackets.

Last edited by Mama; Nov 16, 2019 at 9:29 am
Old Nov 2, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Mama
Oh dear, this is the first bad sign if he, the owner/CEO/president of the corporation, actually tell designers what to do, instead of leaving it to the hands of experts.
The guy is more responsible for the success of modern-day BR than anyone else. Suggesting that he doesn't know what he's doing is, well... c'mon.

Starlux may well be a failure but it won't be because of the color of the FA outfits.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
It's been reported that JX is interested in the following routes from TPE during summer schedule 2020:

Kota Kinabalu
Cebu
Matsuyama
Kitakyushu
Fuzhou
Chongqing
Beijing

Kind of surprising because the original news indicated they have no desire to open any cross strait routes. Also, I am unsure how are they going to access Beijing as all rights or time slots have been exhausted.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gengar

Starlux may well be a failure but it won't be because of the color of the FA outfits.
Of course not, I have never heard anyone buying an airline ticket because of the FA uniform.

Last edited by Mama; Nov 3, 2019 at 12:49 am
Old Nov 3, 2019, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

He seems like a micro manager but this is a start-up, he actually knows his stuff (flying, maintenance, married an FA, running BR) and passionate about the business. So, it is understandable he is so involved with all the details right now.

It seems he thinks innovation, quality and service will help him beat the competitors. People are even saying he is starting a Taiwanese EK (or QR or EY or SQ).

If the world economy collapses and/or cross-strait relationship gets worse, it is going to be even more challenging for him.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:29 pm

Safety video for NEO:

Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So, this reminds me of the last generation of BR's video + Futurama.

Hopefully passengers who have never flown retain what it says - especially where the emergency exits are.

I wonder when they will start galactic service
Old Nov 16, 2019, 4:52 pm
Suspended

The new crew buses are at TPE. The self entitled rich **** will go down in flames like no other.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
It's been reported that JX is interested in the following routes from TPE during summer schedule 2020:

Kota Kinabalu
Cebu
Matsuyama
Kitakyushu
Fuzhou
Chongqing
Beijing

Kind of surprising because the original news indicated they have no desire to open any cross strait routes. Also, I am unsure how are they going to access Beijing as all rights or time slots have been exhausted.
Maybe he is aiming for PKX instead of PEK?

There shouldn't be any issue with Malaysia or Japan due to open sky... just a matter of routine application to start service. Not sure what is the status of air service agreement between Taiwan and Philippines but can't imagine Cebu being a difficult route to get approval.

Fuzhou is kind of random... wouldn't be my choice of initial wave of Chinese destination to tackle. For a TPE based airline, you have to figure that PVG is the highest priority nut to crack as far as China is concerned.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Was JX not able to get rights to Mainland because it did not have the "experience" some law requires? Some of this might depend on the election results in TW in January, right?
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by bzcat
Maybe he is aiming for PKX instead of PEK?

There shouldn't be any issue with Malaysia or Japan due to open sky... just a matter of routine application to start service. Not sure what is the status of air service agreement between Taiwan and Philippines but can't imagine Cebu being a difficult route to get approval.

Fuzhou is kind of random... wouldn't be my choice of initial wave of Chinese destination to tackle. For a TPE based airline, you have to figure that PVG is the highest priority nut to crack as far as China is concerned.
I believe all rights at Beijing are exhausted. There are only 14 weekly available (BR and CI each took 7). There are also rights left at PVG as well from Transasia but it's never used as the Chinese claimed there are no available slots.

Appropriate time slots are also issues that they will face for open skies to Japan.

Fuzhou is probably one of the few destinations that have time slots and rights available, but not very profitable .
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: DL DM
Saw a couple employees wearing Starlux jumpsuits at TPE this morning. Looked very "space-esque". Still, it was cool to see the logo in real life.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

CNN just did a profile: https://us.cnn.com/travel/article/st...wan/index.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.