K Chang (Former EVA CEO) and His New Starlux Airlines

Old Jun 14, 18, 6:31 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,288
K Chang (Former EVA CEO) and His New Starlux Airlines

Interesting interview
for his new airline: https://www.starlux-airlines.com/

It is in Chinese but he does have huge ambitions...

K Chang is the son of the founder of Evergreen Group and EVA Air. He can do everything from fixing planes to flying the 777s. He got forced out by EVA due to family feud after YF Chang passed.

Last edited by username; Jun 14, 18 at 6:39 pm
username is offline  
Old Oct 9, 19, 12:22 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,288
As the airline (IATA Code JX) prepares for its inauguration flight in January (1/23/2020), details on routes, uniforms and cabin are starting to get announced.

has the uniform announcement (starts about 16:00) and a Q&A session at the end

https://onemileatatime.com/starlux-airlines/ has some more information.

Interesting facts:

1 - lie flat seats in the A321neo front cabin
2 - free wifi for all passengers
username is offline  
Old Oct 10, 19, 2:45 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,213
I wonder how many people would pay double economy price (or more) to have lie flat seats for flights under 4 hours.
Mama is offline  
Old Oct 10, 19, 6:10 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Programs: Air NZ, Qantas, Korean Air
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
I wonder how many people would pay double economy price (or more) to have lie flat seats for flights under 4 hours.
*raises hands* I generally do between NZ and Australia.
clubeurope likes this.
catmincer is offline  
Old Oct 11, 19, 7:55 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Posts: 13,490
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
I wonder how many people would pay double economy price (or more) to have lie flat seats for flights under 4 hours.
There are only two J rows or 8 seats.
I am one of those that would pay double Y to get a lie-flat for 3h+ flights. My back likes it a lot.
brunos is offline  
Old Oct 12, 19, 11:16 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CAN, LAX, TPE
Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Posts: 2,767
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
There are only two J rows or 8 seats.
I am one of those that would pay double Y to get a lie-flat for 3h+ flights. My back likes it a lot.
I doubt there will be many flights where you can lay down for 3 hours or more. They are not operating any flights to China so the only possible destinations to have 3h+ in those 321 will be somewhere in Hokkaido, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia. For their current destinations, Penang is the only flight you will be able to lie flat for 3 hours or more. As a customer I welcome this change but I probably won't pay double the price to enjoy the seats.

In any case there are only 8 seats, I don't think there will be a problem to fill them.
coolfish1103 is offline  
Old Oct 15, 19, 1:21 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vegas
Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Posts: 5,792
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
I wonder how many people would pay double economy price (or more) to have lie flat seats for flights under 4 hours.
To be fair, many pax (myself included) regularly pay "double economy price (or more)" just to get domestic F seats that aren't even lie flat for sub-4hr flights within the US.

Several airlines offer or have offered lie-flat seats on short-haul routes from Taipei, EVA being one of them.
gengar is offline  
Old Oct 15, 19, 3:32 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Posts: 13,490
The main question is whether you offer business class or not. If a new startup airline does, It has to offer a superior product.

CX/KA is an interesting case. FT posters tend to hate the regional business class seats where CX/KA charges a huge premium for mediocre seats. As CX is using some of its longhaul ac during the day on regional routes, you can see how pax go out of their way to book lie-flat seats and get very upset in case of a last-minute sub to regional seats.
But CX/KA have a different business model from Starlux. CX premium class demand on regional route is increased by premium class pax transiting from Europe, Australia and NA. And they offer high frequencies to major Asian cities.

Personally, I am unconvinced by these luxury small airlines facing huge competition from legacy airlines and LCCs. I am not aware of any that succeeded. Starlux will have to be both cheap and luxurious. That's impossible. To get back to the 82" business seat, a pair takes more space than two rows of 6 Y seats (pitch of 31"). Hence 8 J seats replace some 24+ Y seats. That makes it impossible to compete with LCCs. And the lack of transit feeder traffic makes it very hard to compete with legacy airlines. I assume that Starlux is trying to negotiate some codesharing with US airlines, but that is not easy.
nancypants likes this.
brunos is offline  
Old Oct 17, 19, 10:09 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,333
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
The main question is whether you offer business class or not. If a new startup airline does, It has to offer a superior product.

CX/KA is an interesting case. FT posters tend to hate the regional business class seats where CX/KA charges a huge premium for mediocre seats. As CX is using some of its longhaul ac during the day on regional routes, you can see how pax go out of their way to book lie-flat seats and get very upset in case of a last-minute sub to regional seats.
But CX/KA have a different business model from Starlux. CX premium class demand on regional route is increased by premium class pax transiting from Europe, Australia and NA. And they offer high frequencies to major Asian cities.

Personally, I am unconvinced by these luxury small airlines facing huge competition from legacy airlines and LCCs. I am not aware of any that succeeded. Starlux will have to be both cheap and luxurious. That's impossible. To get back to the 82" business seat, a pair takes more space than two rows of 6 Y seats (pitch of 31"). Hence 8 J seats replace some 24+ Y seats. That makes it impossible to compete with LCCs. And the lack of transit feeder traffic makes it very hard to compete with legacy airlines. I assume that Starlux is trying to negotiate some codesharing with US airlines, but that is not easy.
But you have to look at the load of the budget airlines. I haven't flown all the routes, but they almost never have a full flight (unlike a domestic flight in the US, for example). So it may not be "giving up" as much as you think
s0ssos is offline  
Old Oct 17, 19, 12:01 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 352
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
Personally, I am unconvinced by these luxury small airlines facing huge competition from legacy airlines and LCCs. I am not aware of any that succeeded. Starlux will have to be both cheap and luxurious. That's impossible. To get back to the 82" business seat, a pair takes more space than two rows of 6 Y seats (pitch of 31"). Hence 8 J seats replace some 24+ Y seats. That makes it impossible to compete with LCCs. And the lack of transit feeder traffic makes it very hard to compete with legacy airlines. I assume that Starlux is trying to negotiate some codesharing with US airlines, but that is not easy.
I am also skeptical about Starlux for reasons you describe. United might make sense as a partner given the existing SFO-TPE service, but Starlux would have to offer options that NH doesn't serve. It is very difficult (impossible?) to connect onward using EVA on a UA ticket.

I thought Starlux's longer term plan is to acquire A350s and start long-thin routes to NA?
east_west is offline  
Old Oct 21, 19, 1:16 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,288
The crazy thing is when EVA first started, they were aiming for the up market also. The lower 2/3 of the first 744s were Economy Deluxe class. They quickly realized that did not work and retrofitted the cabins.

I thought they already orders A350s for delivery end of 2021 and will start LAX service some time in 2022.

If you use Chinese pin-yin XING YU brings up something else on Windows

JX released another video about the A321neo cabin. J seems nice but Y seems crammed as expected. First aircraft will arrive TPE on 10/28 and there is a photo contest.


username is offline  
Old Oct 21, 19, 5:25 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vegas
Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Posts: 5,792
Originally Posted by east_west View Post
I thought Starlux's longer term plan is to acquire A350s and start long-thin routes to NA?
Firm order for 5 A359 and 12 A35K.
gengar is offline  
Old Oct 21, 19, 6:22 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 352
Originally Posted by username View Post
I thought they already orders A350s for delivery end of 2021 and will start LAX service some time in 2022.
Wow, I believe CI+BR already run 6x daily on LA-TPE (5x LAX, 1x ONT) all on 777/A350s...?
ICN and HKG only have 4x each.
east_west is offline  
Old Oct 21, 19, 8:59 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,288
Originally Posted by east_west View Post
Wow, I believe CI+BR already run 6x daily on LA-TPE (5x LAX, 1x ONT) all on 777/A350s...?
ICN and HKG only have 4x each.
LAX is the number one priority for JX and Taiwanese carriers because of the huge Asian/Taiwanese population. Who would have thought 30 years ago it would be like this.

I am sure his hope is to take some passengers from CI & BR as his network is a lot smaller and he, at least right now, is not in any alliance.
username is offline  
Old Oct 21, 19, 8:46 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 352
Originally Posted by username View Post
I am sure his hope is to take some passengers from CI & BR as his network is a lot smaller and he, at least right now, is not in any alliance.
How would a smaller network and not being in an alliance help take passengers away? And with that much capacity wouldn't BR/CI just cut prices to squeeze JX? I simply don't see anyway this can work... trying to compete with BR/CI head-on. Why not pick an unserved market with no TPE competition (DFW, IAD, BOS, SAN, PDX, ATL, LAS -- basically go after KE's network) or something like SJC that might attract people from the South Bay?
east_west is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: