Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CI W Cabin on KIX-TPE

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
CI W Cabin on KIX-TPE

I'm looking to fly KIX-TPE, and CI operates international long haul configuration on at least two of its flights (77W and 359). However, CI does not sell W on this route (the other flights are two cabin 333s), so how do they allocate these seats (if at all)?

(For a 3.5 hour flight, that's really the product I'd want to buy. J seems like a bit too much and Y seems a bit too cramped, at 10 across 77W and 9 across 359).

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't find the threads...

Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:17 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by bennos
I'm looking to fly KIX-TPE, and CI operates international long haul configuration on at least two of its flights (77W and 359). However, CI does not sell W on this route (the other flights are two cabin 333s), so how do they allocate these seats (if at all)?

(For a 3.5 hour flight, that's really the product I'd want to buy. J seems like a bit too much and Y seems a bit too cramped, at 10 across 77W and 9 across 359).

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't find the threads...

Thanks!
Last time I flew the 777 on TPE-KIX on CI, they allowed me to select the W cabin seats. They simply merged the two cabins into one on the seat selection page. The first part was 2-4-2 and then as you scrolled down, it started going 3-4-3.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by hayzel7773
Last time I flew the 777 on TPE-KIX on CI, they allowed me to select the W cabin seats. They simply merged the two cabins into one on the seat selection page. The first part was 2-4-2 and then as you scrolled down, it started going 3-4-3.
I'm assuming FF status is a factor with that.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by lolstebbo
I'm assuming FF status is a factor with that.
I think so. In order to see seat availability, you need to pick your flights and then enter your FF#. The first time I did this (DL STE+), I was able to see preferred seats (including W seats for non-W flights). However, in order to view multiple flight options, I basically had to do several mock bookings. This appears to (1) remove inventory from sale for some caching period and (2) after looking at 2 or 3 flights I could no longer see any preferred seats.

Edit: Actually, it appears I'm only getting the option based on fare class (V or higher so far). Maybe STE+ isn't recognized during booking?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:05 am
Original Poster

So apparently STE+ status wasn't sufficient at all, even by calling in. So I'm stuck in non-preferred seats at the back of the plane.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by bennos
So apparently STE+ status wasn't sufficient at all, even by calling in. So I'm stuck in non-preferred seats at the back of the plane.
I would've assumed STE+ could get you a seat in the front half of the Y cabin with the W seats being reserved for CI's own STE+ members.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:27 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
It could also be nearly full due to Chinese New Year fast approaching.

If no luck on the phone you will just need to ask at checking in and check in early which is no big issue as you still have lounge access.

But I noticed these days there are many China airlines elite members these days now Gold is pretty simple to achieve with just 30k miles needed in 12months.

Gone are the days where on long haul I expected to see only 1-2 Emerald members max on a flight. Now I usually see like 5-6 quite often.

And of course more often there is the 1 paragon which was a rare thing in the past.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lolstebbo
I would've assumed STE+ could get you a seat in the front half of the Y cabin with the W seats being reserved for CI's own STE+ members.
I can't even get to the front half of the Y cabin (via web site, mobile app, reservations line, or city branch office).

Originally Posted by tris06
The flight is not until March. If I do a mock booking at flexible fares, I can see most of the cabin is open.

If no luck on the phone you will just need to ask at checking in and check in early which is no big issue as you still have lounge access.
I'm expecting all the good seats will be gone at that point.

At the end of the day it's not that big of a deal as it's only a 3 hour flight (the most annoying bit being it'll take a good 15 minutes to get off the plane), but it's useful to know for future planning purposes.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:07 am

^Well, from the OP I would like to say that 3-3-3 on the A359 is NOT cramped. Very comfortable airplane. And it does not take 15 minutes to deplane.

Source: I flew TPE-KIX on the A359 and was in 72A.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by 737MAX8
^Well, from the OP I would like to say that 3-3-3 on the A359 is NOT cramped. Very comfortable airplane. And it does not take 15 minutes to deplane.

Source: I flew TPE-KIX on the A359 and was in 72A.
How was it in the back? The Business class seats are ok on the A350, I prefer the 777 ones for some reason.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:18 pm

I thought it was fantastic, just as good as a 3-3-3 777.

It absolutely blows 3-4-3 on the 777 out of the water.

I have photos if interested.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Just to follow up...

The awesome check-in agent at KIX proactively moved us up to 31AC. ("It's still two together, but up front, and the seats are wider.") These seats were definitely not available when I booked (even with full fare mock bookings) so perhaps were held for airport assignment. We were given lounge invites to the JL Sakura lounge (best smelling lounge I've been to in a while), though no fast track for security.

The plane itself was maybe 20% full in J, 70% full in W (really Y for elites and full fares), and perhaps 80% full in Y. My Y VOML was quite good for a 3 hour flight.

I think the KIX-TPE flight way overset my expectations for my J flight TPE-JFK a few days later. Check-in at TPE was efficient but not memorable, no fast track for security, the D4 lounge is poorly laid out and way too small for the US departure bank, and the actual boarding was a mess (though the GAs were trying their best to enforce boarding groups, the too-small departure area makes it hard to do). On the bright side, there's a Mos Burger in the food court. (But no milk tea airside? I must have missed it...)

The in-flight service was erratic, ranging from completely on top of things to missing big details. On one side of the cabin, duvets were proactively given to each passenger, and the location of the bottled water and amenity kit explained (not at all obvious). On the other, they forgot to pick up a meal tray and people had to ask for duvets. They completely forgot my dessert course (which was fine as I wasn't actually hungry at that point), though they remembered my request for Port from when they were doing something else. The entire J meal service feels rushed with forced choreography. (Time for the cheese course, ready or not!)

The seat is very good, similar to AF BEST or DL A330/747, but with different storage options. The duvet is almost as good as the mattress approach that VA uses, but easier to use. I was going to try the in flight wifi, but due to the timing of the flight I mostly just slept instead. Bags took a while at JFK, but that's typical for most international arrivals.

In summary, I'd say a B-. I'd fly them again when it makes sense (eg: JFK-TPE-SIN has one of the best scheduling options) but not sure I'd go out of my way (eg: JFK-TPE-Japan, I'd just fly JL instead).
Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:24 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
[QUOTE=bennos;28087698]Just to follow up...

I think the KIX-TPE flight way overset my expectations for my J flight TPE-JFK a few days later. Check-in at TPE was efficient but not memorable, no fast track for security, the D4 lounge is poorly laid out and way too small for the US departure bank, and the actual boarding was a mess (though the GAs were trying their best to enforce boarding groups, the too-small departure area makes it hard to do). On the bright side, there's a Mos Burger in the food court. (But no milk tea airside? I must have missed it...)

The in-flight service was erratic, ranging from completely on top of things to missing big details. On one side of the cabin, duvets were proactively given to each passenger, and the location of the bottled water and amenity kit explained (not at all obvious). On the other, they forgot to pick up a meal tray and people had to ask for duvets. They completely forgot my dessert course (which was fine as I wasn't actually hungry at that point), though they remembered my request for Port from when they were doing something else. The entire J meal service feels rushed with forced choreography. (Time for the cheese course, ready or not!)

Thanks for the review it is an interesting read........Just made me think of 2 things.

If I was not a member of CI (Emerald) and I had a few hours at the (TPE) airport plus a urge for bubble milk tea then I would have gone to terminal 1 CI lounge. It is about a 10min walk though. Hands down it beats terminal 2 lounge on the lower floor for business class or gold members.(I have been told this will get renovated to the new generation soon).

Luckily for myself the new and old first class lounge in terminal 2 is much nicer too hence unless i crave bubble milk tea I will stay in terminal 2.

2nd thing is I think the bedding is made on request. Anyway that's what I have been told. So i will make sure for our flights later this year I will mention to them when getting on the plane that I want it done after the meal service.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

If I was not a member of CI (Emerald) and I had a few hours at the (TPE) airport plus a urge for bubble milk tea then I would have gone to terminal 1 CI lounge. It is about a 10min walk though. Hands down it beats terminal 2 lounge on the lower floor for business class or gold members.(I have been told this will get renovated to the new generation soon).
Yeah, in retrospect I should have gone to T1. D4 collected my lounge invitation, so I'm not sure how much nuisance it would have been to then go to T1, though practically speaking at that point I didn't really have the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.