Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scoot - cancelled my flight, will not give a refund :(

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
On the do not fly list they go!
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: Basement Lurker Club
Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
Has anyone gone around Scoot's ridiculous policy of not offering refunds if they cancel a flight for operational reasons?

According to their website, they only give you a credit voucher towards another flight. One of my ticketed flights is cancelled and they have rebooked me on the next available flight which is not acceptable to me.

Can I fight this with my CC company for a refund?

Has anyone successfully claimed a refund from Scoot in such an instance?

*confused*
Well, seeing how negative everyone is I'll just say I personally have been in this situation with Scoot before but on a different route (SIN-TPE). I fought this with my credit card (American based) and Citibank/Visa issued a refund within a few weeks without asking additional questions or hassle. So ignore the naysayers and give it a go.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:55 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by hessinger
Well, seeing how negative everyone is I'll just say I personally have been in this situation with Scoot before but on a different route (SIN-TPE). I fought this with my credit card (American based) and Citibank/Visa issued a refund within a few weeks without asking additional questions or hassle. So ignore the naysayers and give it a go.
Did you know whether Citi US successfully pursued a chargeback of Scoot (e.g. under Reason Code 30 Services Not Provided or Merchandise Not Received) and passed you the proceeds of that chargeback or whether they made a business decision to comp you out of their own pocket?
Old Oct 31, 2015, 3:21 am

Programs: Basement Lurker Club
Originally Posted by percysmith
Did you know whether Citi US successfully pursued a chargeback of Scoot (e.g. under Reason Code 30 Services Not Provided or Merchandise Not Received) and passed you the proceeds of that chargeback or whether they made a business decision to comp you out of their own pocket?
I do not, and now that I do not hold that card anymore, I think it would be hard to find out.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:08 pm

Is this TZ322 SIN-HKG 1Nov?
Urrgghh more IRROPs from Sccot...

Originally my wife and I and another couple were going to SIN for a day for a wine event. Outbound Sat 31 Oct morn return Sun 1 Nov morn, not staying over. The 1 Nov Scoot inbound flight was cancelled for "operational reasons" and we were reticketed for 2 Nov.

Both couples decided to still go, but the other couple decided to come back on a different flight and accept the dubious Scoot travel vouchers. My wife and I decided to stick it out since we can still well go to work with a Monday morning inbound.

Since the wine event didn't end til late both couples booked one room each in Singapore US$80/room. The other guy was immensely happy cos he can watch the Rugby World Cup finals and returned with his fiancé to HK on Jetstar without issues.

My wife and I arrived at T2 at 2300 and noticed the gate listing has an asterisk next to it. I asked the SATS T2 lounge receptionist what it meant, he said it denotes a flight whose gate has change.

When I got to the gate I saw a note on the gate display that Scoot SIN-TPE-NRT has been moved to gate Exx. In retrospect I suspect our plane has been cannibalised to serve that flight.

Anyway we stayed at lounge til 0130 (sch departure of TZ322 0155). On leaving lounge I was wondering why the website gate display still displayed Gate Open instead of some terrifying Final Call message.

Not long after our arrival at gate lounge were we told there was a delay to 0355 and we are permitted to exit the gate lounge if we returned by 0245. We walked out, took a short nap at a garden bench and rentereed the gate lounge again.

Near the new departure time I still saw the GAs at the reception of the gate lounge and not the airbridge entrance and frowning. A few torches were still flashing around under the belly of the plane. The cargo door was still open and pushback truck and driver was still there though. At 0345 the inevitable delay call to 0430 was announced.

I started looking at revenue and redemption options - there was still Tigerair 0605 and Avios redemption of CX 0655 available. But after 0415 only 8am options became available.

The wife was calm and composed throughout but was anxious to return to work in HK after lunch.

I saw the first signs the Scoot staff were giving up on the plane when the pushback truck driver drove off at 0441. I started calling BA to see if I can still get the 0650 flight back. As I was calling the GAs announced a new plane at 0830 and the crew walked off the plane and out the gate lounge.

BA call centre wasn't able to get our CX 0650 back but somehow it came back on BA.com. I snapped it up, mobile checked in, told the Scoot gate supervisor we were not going to fly their 0830 and asked for directions for T1.

We were back by 10:32 so we only need half day leave on record. The new Scoot plane arrived HKG 12:28 http://fr24.com/SCO322/7dd42ac, 6 hours and 53 minutes late.

Scoot will probably say I'm only entitled to S$50 delay coupon x 2 pax but I'm gonna push back and ask for the whole fare back in coupons, given I received no compensation for the first cancellation.

Poor compensation policy and aggressive operational flight cancellations aside, one point of frustration is Scoot's low performance in IRROPs - we're at its home base, I count 3 787s (including the crippled bird) and a 777 on the tarmac as I was taking off w CX and they can't swap us for another one??!!

Another thing is don't expect to be reseated on SQ or even TR.

Last edited by percysmith; Nov 1, 2015 at 10:33 pm
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
This is one difference between SQ's approach to Scoot and QF's approach to Jetstar. JQ have been known, in some circumstances, to put passengers onto QF services on shared routes (such as SYD-HNL). But not to be relied on, at least it does happen, whereas I haven't seen any anecdotal reports of this happening with Scoot.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 11:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
i would take them to small claims in hk for unable to deliver... at least make a case there
Urrgghh more IRROPs from Sccot...

Originally my wife and I and another couple were going to SIN for a day for a wine event. Outbound Sat 31 Oct morn return Sun 1 Nov morn, not staying over. The 1 Nov Scoot inbound flight was cancelled for "operational reasons" and we were reticketed for 2 Nov.

Both couples decided to still go, but the other couple decided to come back on a different flight and accept the dubious Scoot travel vouchers. My wife and I decided to stick it out since we can still well go to work with a Monday morning inbound.

Since the wine event didn't end til late both couples booked one room each in Singapore US$80/room. The other guy was immensely happy cos he can watch the Rugby World Cup finals and returned with his fiancé to HK on Jetstar without issues.

My wife and I arrived at T2 at 2300 and noticed the gate listing has an asterisk next to it. I asked the SATS T2 lounge receptionist what it meant, he said it denotes a flight whose gate has change.

When I got to the gate I saw a note on the gate display that Scoot SIN-TPE-NRT has been moved to gate Exx. In retrospect I suspect our plane has been cannibalised to serve that flight.

Anyway we stayed at lounge til 0130 (sch departure of TZ322 0155). On leaving lounge I was wondering why the website gate display still displayed Gate Open instead of some terrifying Final Call message.

Not long after our arrival at gate lounge were we told there was a delay to 0355 and we are permitted to exit the gate lounge if we returned by 0245. We walked out, took a short nap at a garden bench and rentereed the gate lounge again.

Near the new departure time I still saw the GAs at the reception of the gate lounge and not the airbridge entrance and frowning. A few torches were still flashing around under the belly of the plane. The cargo door was still open and pushback truck and driver was still there though. At 0345 the inevitable delay call to 0430 was announced.

I started looking at revenue and redemption options - there was still Tigerair 0605 and Avios redemption of CX 0655 available. But after 0415 only 8am options became available.

The wife was calm and composed throughout but was anxious to return to work in HK after lunch.

I saw the first signs the Scoot staff were giving up on the plane when the pushback truck driver drove off at 0441. I started calling BA to see if I can still get the 0650 flight back. As I was calling the GAs announced a new plane at 0830 and the crew walked off the plane and out the gate lounge.

BA call centre wasn't able to get our CX 0650 back but somehow it came back on BA.com. I snapped it up, mobile checked in, told the Scoot gate supervisor we were not going to fly their 0830 and asked for directions for T1.

We were back by 10:32 so we only need half day leave on record. The new Scoot plane arrived HKG 12:28 http://fr24.com/SCO322/7dd42ac, 6 hours and 53 minutes late.

Scoot will probably say I'm only entitled to S$50 delay coupon x 2 pax but I'm gonna push back and ask for the whole fare back in coupons, given I received no compensation for the first cancellation.

Poor compensation policy and aggressive operational flight cancellations aside, one point of frustration is Scoot's low performance in IRROPs - we're at its home base, I count 3 787s (including the crippled bird) and a 777 on the tarmac as I was taking off w CX and they can't swap us for another one??!!

Old Nov 13, 2015, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
Has anyone gone around Scoot's ridiculous policy of not offering refunds if they cancel a flight for operational reasons?

According to their website, they only give you a credit voucher towards another flight. One of my ticketed flights is cancelled and they have rebooked me on the next available flight which is not acceptable to me.

Can I fight this with my CC company for a refund?

Has anyone successfully claimed a refund from Scoot in such an instance?

*confused*
That is not permissible under VIOR
Chargeback for goods/services not provided using code 30
Old Nov 13, 2015, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
On the do not fly list they go!
I've flown them, only because they were giving away free tickets...
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
You can add me to those burned by the Scoot 11/18 HKG-SIN cancellation. Tried a dispute with AMEX but noticed today that the charge is back on my account, so I suspect a letter of denial will be coming shortly (which I acknowledge is the right outcome per CoC, but I hoped some loyalty as an AMEX customer might win me this one).

The good news, I guess, is it was only $200 out of pocket. The bad news for Scoot is I told my story to anyone who would listen (made for a good story) in both HK and SIN.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by Phil2016
Tried a dispute with AMEX but noticed today that the charge is back on my account, so I suspect a letter of denial will be coming shortly (which I acknowledge is the right outcome per CoC, but I hoped some loyalty as an AMEX customer might win me this one).
Turns out I missed the inquiry from AMEX for further information, so I resubmitted the dispute, providing my side of the story and supporting documentation, and AMEX confirmed today that they are siding with me and making the credit on my account permanent.

So, if you're in this situation, it's worth at least the effort to dispute with AMEX. But my recommendation would be to steer clear of Scoot.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:44 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Phil2016, thanks for updating us. Glad to learn your outcome. Sadly customers are not much protected in this part of the world.

Originally Posted by Phil2016
Turns out I missed the inquiry from AMEX for further information, so I resubmitted the dispute, providing my side of the story and supporting documentation, and AMEX confirmed today that they are siding with me and making the credit on my account permanent.

So, if you're in this situation, it's worth at least the effort to dispute with AMEX. But my recommendation would be to steer clear of Scoot.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 6:12 pm

Wow. I wonder if Amex US made Phil2016 whole out of its own pocket or it really went to charge back Scoot. If the latter we should expect Scoot to stop accepting Amex sometime down the road.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 4:38 am

We have flown Scoot multiple times, because they are cheap.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by iluvcruising2
We have flown Scoot multiple times, because they are cheap.
That's the only reason anyone here's contemplating taking them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.