Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: elitetraveler
JetSmarter is a membership program that allows members to fly on empty legs of private jets (JetDeals) and seats on scheduled private jet shuttles (JetShuttle).
Print Wikipost

JetSmarter - discussion and experiences

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
Oh lord, your trip sucked.

Sorry you had such a bad time.

I've never seen the Chicago to LA Shuttle leave out of ORD, the Chicago Executive Airport shows on both the app and your itinerary.

Ugh... a toddler.

But ..., no champagne?

Steve

Originally Posted by millions
I am unimpressed, and my buyer's remorse is growing.

If you're looking at this service as a replacement for coast-to-coast business travel, you are likely to be disappointed. Took the VNY-HPN on Friday. First, the flight boarded around 45 minutes late, ostensibly because half of the carry-on bags (including mine) were "hit" by the canine screener. Needless to say, I was not carrying any drugs or explosives. The flight was full, as every one of these flights will be going forward. If you're lucky, you'll get a seat not on a couch, and will be stari at someone for five hours and trying not to play footsie. There was a toddler on board, and let's say it was not a conducive environment to getting work done. The flight attendants were friendly, and there was an ample supply of champagne, at least. Food was sandwiches. Upon arrival at HPN, we were piled into a van because of the weather. Not a blast, but what can you do, I guess? Would rather fly into Teterboro and take my own car.

The main drawback is that there is absolutely no chance of getting a return trip on the same weekend, and should be less so going forward. Every flight on Sunday to LA, SF, and Vegas was booked. So I decided to fly into ORD on Friday night, stay at an airport hotel, and take the Chicago to LA shuttle this morning. Yesterday, after the hotel was up refundable, Jetsmarter notified me that the flight would actually leave from the executive airport, 35 minutes away or so. Not good, but at least they arranged a car to take me to the new airport. It's now 10 minutes after our scheduled departure time, and we have not boarded. And even though there were 8 seats remaining when I booked, I was assigned a couch seat. Another toddler on this flight, so I suspect he'll occupy the couch opposite me.

EDIT: Someone just tried to order champagne. None onboard.
Old May 9, 2016, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by backdoc
Sorry you had such a bad time.

I've never seen the Chicago to LA Shuttle leave out of ORD, the Chicago Executive Airport shows on both the app and your itinerary.

Ugh... a toddler.

But ..., no champagne?

Steve
It had been out of ORD until May 6, and even though I booked after that, it showed ORD on my app and my original itinerary.

Also, they changed this flight (and apparently future shuttles) from the Challenger 850 to a GIV-SP (N444QG).

Last edited by millions; May 9, 2016 at 11:50 am
Old May 9, 2016, 12:30 pm

A toddler wouldn't bother me one bit, nor do I fly for the premium booze. But a 33% cancellation rate stops me from considering it at all. No way I'd go for it - I understand being flexible in my plans as part of this, but a third of flights is ridiculous.
Old May 9, 2016, 12:40 pm

Ugh!

That totally sucks.

My first JetSmarter flight was Hawthorn to SFO. We took off late and due to air traffic was diverted to OAK. The JetSmarter staff had to be prodded pretty hard to arrange us an Uber to get us to the FBO at SFO where my rental car was waiting.

I guess this happened often enough that they changed the route to go to OAK instead. To me it makes more sense due to weather and one runway being down for repair.

Even with the steep learning curve on both sides I still find it worth the money and I enjoy it.

Steve
It had been out of ORD until May 6, and even though I booked after that, it showed ORD on my app and my original itinerary.

Also, they changed this flight (and apparently future shuttles) from the Challenger 850 to a GIV-SP (N444QG).
Old May 9, 2016, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
A toddler wouldn't bother me one bit, nor do I fly for the premium booze. But a 33% cancellation rate stops me from considering it at all. No way I'd go for it - I understand being flexible in my plans as part of this, but a third of flights is ridiculous.
It's not the toddler's mere existence that's the problem. I don't know how you can definitively say that on a fully loaded GIV with four seats facing each other and only a foot or two of aisle space, the addition of an unseated, high-energy, 3 year old wouldn't bother you one bit. What if he was constantly pulling your laptop down? What if he spilled your drink? What if he screamed for much of the flight?

And I don't fly for the premium booze, either. I don't fly for the reading lights or climate control. But I do expect these things when I'm paying thousands of dollars for the product.

On the airlines, if the kid's two or older, you have to buy him a ticket. I totally understand that the fact that this rule seemingly does not apply makes it even more financially attractive to parents of young children. But it can diminish the product for others.
Old May 9, 2016, 1:17 pm

Ok.... you're talking "Empty Legs"

I've only used this service for the transcon Shuttle flights, I would never join it for the occasional empty leg flight, it would make no sense for me. The whole empty leg thing is fraught with uncertainty that has nothing to do with JetSmarter. The companies that own the planes are trying to make as much money to defray costs. If they have 3 people signed up for an empty leg flight to Dallas and they get an order for that plane instead to fly to Zurich at their normal rate, they are going to take the Zurich order. That seems to be the nature of the biz.

It doesn't seem to be a good fit for someone who isn't using the shuttle flights regularly. I do have a really wealthy friend who lives in Seattle that has a membership and does empty leg flights quite often and returns commercial. He's a plane nut and for him its just for fun.

Steve

Originally Posted by PWMTrav

Last edited by backdoc; May 9, 2016 at 1:22 pm
Old May 9, 2016, 1:42 pm

I'm with you.

My brain isn't wired in a way that I can ignore a screaming toddler, a drunk, or a blowhard DJ/Club Promoter or Pot Kingpin talking at the top of his lungs. And its more intrusive because there's not a lot of room in there.

I bought special electronic earplugs for the noise.https://hush.technology

On my first few shuttle flights they had free flowing premium booze and people got ripped, so much so that they no longer allow hard liquor on the flights. Each plane owner can specify what they will allow on each flight. My last shuttle flight the plane owner wouldn't allow red wine on the flights because of the carpet. But to not have any champagne? I don't need to drink but when its part of the published amenities, it should be provided. There are no entertainment systems, but at least there is WiFi to get work done. We are having dinner this Wednesday night with someone we met on the HPN-VNY shuttle who happened to be sitting across from us. It turns out we had many friends in common and we chatted the whole trip. I'd say the usual crowd wants to be left alone and get some work and get a nap in.

Steve

It's not the toddler's mere existence that's the problem. I don't know how you can definitively say that on a fully loaded GIV with four seats facing each other and only a foot or two of aisle space, the addition of an unseated, high-energy, 3 year old wouldn't bother you one bit. What if he was constantly pulling your laptop down? What if he spilled your drink? What if he screamed for much of the flight?

And I don't fly for the premium booze, either. I don't fly for the reading lights or climate control. But I do expect these things when I'm paying thousands of dollars for the product.

On the airlines, if the kid's two or older, you have to buy him a ticket. I totally understand that the fact that this rule seemingly does not apply makes it even more financially attractive to parents of young children. But it can diminish the product for others.
Old May 9, 2016, 2:09 pm

Missed this, but looks like last week the company announced that it will be bumping the annual fee to $10k with a $5k initiation starting June 1.
Old May 9, 2016, 2:22 pm

Kids Prices, under 24 months fly free.

My Rep just messaged me.

"Children 24 months and under are considered lap children and don't require their own seat" (fly free).

Older than 24 months and they would have to be a member or pay the full price.

My Rep also said: "FYI that is FAA rules."
Old May 9, 2016, 2:24 pm

Yeah, well...they're not exactly checking driver's licenses.

In any event, I wouldn't care as long as the kid was actually a "lap" child, and not set loose to run around the plane.
Old May 9, 2016, 2:36 pm

Ah the good old days...

I have a friend who was a PanAm flight attendant on long haul flights. She would routinely dump Benedryl in the drinks of unruly kids and other passengers.

Night Night.

I bet once they get close to 2 years old they would have to produce a birth certificate in order to not be charged $4990 for a cross country flight.

Yeah, well...they're not exactly checking driver's licenses.

In any event, I wouldn't care as long as the kid was actually a "lap" child, and not set loose to run around the plane.
Old May 9, 2016, 3:19 pm

I missed the part about the toddler being unseated. Yeah that's miserable, even with perfect behavior, there wouldn't be enough room. My last private flight was on a bit smaller of a jet - a Hawker 850 I think. We were fully loaded with 7 and I have no idea where an unseated child would even go. I was assuming the child had a seat. We flew exactly ONCE with a lap infant, and that was enough to convince us the seat was always worth buying.

I'd never spring that situation on myself, let alone strangers. I don't think they should allow that.
Old May 10, 2016, 12:17 pm

Sad to hear you’re giving up the membership SFO777. Even sadder I most likely will in July as well. The program was a great find when you first mentioned on Flyertalk. And if it was still only private jets with TM I’d renew in a heartbeat. Hopefully someone else will come along and develop a product comparable to what JetSmarter was about a year ago. If you find anything out of Los Angeles that's compelling please do share (I was hopeful of STA Jets out of SNA offering a membership on their website that included free empties, but when I called the rep didn't know anything about it and an e-mail went unreturned).
Old May 10, 2016, 2:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
I asked this before but still never saw a reply: how do they handle drinks and snacks on the sofa seats? Is there a place to put them? A table that pulls out? And likewise is it possible to use a laptop there?

My biggest fear, frankly, is being assigned a sofa seat. I don't mind sitting across from someone, I do that on trains all the time. But I am not a fan of not having a table available.
Old May 10, 2016, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by oenophilist
I asked this before but still never saw a reply: how do they handle drinks and snacks on the sofa seats? Is there a place to put them? A table that pulls out? And likewise is it possible to use a laptop there?

My biggest fear, frankly, is being assigned a sofa seat. I don't mind sitting across from someone, I do that on trains all the time. But I am not a fan of not having a table available.
The sofa is terrible. Fortunately, i had the whole sofa to myself, so I was able to take my shoes off and lie down. But when not doing that, there is literally not enough room in the aisle for the flight attendant to get by without contortions.

There is no table. (well, on the GIV setup I was on yesterday, anyway). You have to hold your food on your lap. There were drink holders to the side of the sofa, at least.

Likewise, if you want to use your laptop, it will go on your lap. And there were no outlets within reasonable reach, either.

Last edited by millions; May 10, 2016 at 2:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.