Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Other Air Travel including Private & Non-Airline Aviation
Reload this Page >

Flew private.. after their 22 hour delay!..compensation for a $45K flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2011, 9:26 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
While I enjoyed the back-handed brag post about being able to afford a $45K flight, I am going to suggest that most folks who experience delays/issue on $45K jaunts on private jets could just as well ask their lawyers to handle the matter...rather than asking for free information and speculation on a public website. Just a wild guess. I think you are going to have to allow the friend to figure this out for himself, since he is the one with access to contract, lawyers, and so on.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
its not an airline, and OP never chartered anything.

IMHO number_6 clarified things pretty well.

rereading again "second back-up plane" suggests fleet access.
I'm not experienced with fleet access vs. jet fractional ownership.. is that the same thing?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by david4455
While I will not mention the name it was a major jet fractional ownership company. Since I was not the client, just a passenger, I don't have access to the contract.
Not being the client, you also don't have any claim to compensation. Clearly whomever was the client should be asking for compensation. It feels like we're missing some of the details here.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 3:02 pm

Since I've worked in this industry for as long as I can remember, I think i can best some up what you can expect in compensation:

$0.00

*** Read the contracts. ***
Old Feb 11, 2011, 3:11 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Sounds like a great lose/lose situation, for want of an hour's earlier phone call

The operator dispatched 3 planes, so they've lost money on this operation. The client didn't get a ride for 22 hours. All the causes were somewhat avoidable, hence the frustration. Moral of the story: you pays your money, take your chances, when dealing with privately owned planes and charters (to a lesser extent).

Airlines provide a much higher level of service in terms of mission capability (on time arrival) compared to private aviation. Of course the Netjets et al sales brochures don't highlight that statistic. What you do get is convenience (flights to/from airports that airlines dont serve) and some schedule flexibility. What you give up are reliability and comfort (unless you have a G5).
Old Feb 11, 2011, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by fly2nrt
$0.00
And on top of that, you got to spend an extra day in Mexico and still fly home on a private jet the next day. I think I speak for many on this forum when I offer you my sincerest "Boo-freakin'-hoo"s.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sure doesnt seem good from a maintenance and operations standpoint.

while i was never interested in fractional share, this makes me inclined to skip charter/fractional cards too. and will certainly carefully examine on demand charter terms.

gotta love all the horribly un-FT like posts.

FYI >

http://www.shaircraft.com/home/index.shtml
http://www.shaircraft.com/forum/index.shtml

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...scussions.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 11, 2011 at 6:26 pm
Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
My expectation is that OP will be offered a Coke, a smile and the right to remain silent.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242
And on top of that, you got to spend an extra day in Mexico and still fly home on a private jet the next day. I think I speak for many on this forum when I offer you my sincerest "Boo-freakin'-hoo"s.
I agree with this statement.

I must also say that if the flight cost you $45k, you have enough money already to not worry about "compensation". Who cares about $45k if you have millions in the bank and can afford private jet flights to Mexico.

And I highly doubt the private jet company you are flying with cares about compensation either. It's just part of the deal with being rich.

Although it may sound like I'm jealous, I'm not. I'm just being realistic. If I had $45k to blow on a private jet I would just say to myself "well, time to switch to a different private jet service next time".

You're more pissed off about the plane being late and want to financially "hurt" the company to make you feel better. Financial compensation really won't make you feel any better about the experience because you already have money.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
My expectation is that OP will be offered a Coke, a smile and the right to remain silent.
I don't think the coke is on the contract.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 8:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ethanwa
I agree with this statement.

I must also say that if the flight cost you $45k, you have enough money already to not worry about "compensation". Who cares about $45k if you have millions in the bank and can afford private jet flights to Mexico.

And I highly doubt the private jet company you are flying with cares about compensation either. It's just part of the deal with being rich.

Although it may sound like I'm jealous, I'm not. I'm just being realistic. If I had $45k to blow on a private jet I would just say to myself "well, time to switch to a different private jet service next time".

You're more pissed off about the plane being late and want to financially "hurt" the company to make you feel better. Financial compensation really won't make you feel any better about the experience because you already have money.
Maybe that 45K is compensation from another incident?
Old Feb 12, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Planes going tech happens - no matter the operator.

But this is most surprising part to me:

Originally Posted by david4455
on their third try they couldn't find a plane with pilots that had passports on their person to fly into Mexico.
It is astonishing that crew who presumably have a reasonable expectation that they may be required to travel abroad at short notice - even if not planned for that day - are not ready to go. In much the same way, I understand that many FAs who are scheduled to do a day's flying and be back home at night take an overnight bag with them, just in case they get stuck somewhere.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.sherpareport.com/aircraft...ards-0711.html

your contract should specify how much credit you are given due to delays or missed flights that are caused by problems on the fractional or charter company's end

"Some contracts go further to make the customer an additional insured, and some contracts even have a breach of warranty provision and a waiver of subrogation clause," Burnett says.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.