Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Other Air Travel including Private & Non-Airline Aviation
Reload this Page >

Flew private.. after their 22 hour delay!..compensation for a $45K flight?

Flew private.. after their 22 hour delay!..compensation for a $45K flight?

Old Feb 9, 11, 8:39 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Question Flew private.. after their 22 hour delay!..compensation for a $45K flight?

Occasionally we fly private courtesy of a friend who has a fractional share in a private jet. 4 of us we scheduled to leave Mexico and fly back to the States. When we arrived at the Mexican airport ( an hour before our scheduled take-off) we were told our plane did not arrive and was not scheduled to come in for another 8 hours." ( although the company called us to inform us of the delay we had already left our house and missed the call) Mechanical" was the reason on the first plane... their second back-up plane was delayed because the pilots did not have their passports and needed to fly home to get them! Our 12 noon departure was now scheduled for the next morning at 9AM because when the plane and crew arrived at 8PM that night they would need a mandatory overnight rest.

Since this is not a commercial flight but a VERY expensive private jet flight I was really surprised at the long delay and lack of ability to get us home closer to our schedule.
When you are spending 45K on a flight you kind of expect amazing service and follow-up.

This had never happened to our friends before in all the years they have been using this service. We had to return to a hotel and spend the night before we finally left Mexico the next morning...a day later than we originally planned.

What kind of compensation, if any, is justified in this situation?
Old Feb 9, 11, 9:17 am

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
I imagine the starting point would be looking at the contract your friend has with the company - unlikely to be similar to the standard contract of carriage airlines use. I imagine they might give your friend a partial refund/credits, but I don't really see how you would be entitled to any compensation, unless you had a contract/paid the company directly.

Also, $45,000 seems very high for a single flight unless you were flying over an ocean -- is that the cost of the fractional ownership or just this flight?
Old Feb 9, 11, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Reading the contract will give you an idea regarding compensation.. I think your only recourse is to get credit for your original flight.. that's about it.
Old Feb 9, 11, 3:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP
You should have walked up to an airline counter and buy a first class ticket back when you find out about their 18 hour delay. It should still cost less than $45k.
Old Feb 9, 11, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

uh... so not with a fractional company like netjets or flexjet? off the top of my head i want to say those are two of the companies that offer delay guarantees.

since this happened, that must mean the (operator?) doesnt officially owe you any compensation. how good their lawyers/contracts are would determine their survival in a lawsuit.

obviously OP would have flown back if necessary, but private was likely much more comfortable. not to mention both airports may not have had commercial flights.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 9, 11 at 3:34 pm
Old Feb 9, 11, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I would call the airline and ask what they will compensate you..
Old Feb 10, 11, 1:27 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I'd expect that the hotel and meals be covered, and not being charged for at least part of the hourly flight fee.
Old Feb 10, 11, 6:24 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
From a legal standpoint, private plane charters are completely unregulated, so all the compensation provisions that apply to airlines do not apply in any shape or form. You are legally entitled to nothing, except what is in the contract -- which is often nothing. That is one of the downsides of flying private, great when it works, but you pays your money and takes your chances.

If your friend had a jet card (instead of fractional ownership), then these often include insurance coverage ... if so you would have been notified already. Otherwise, as an "owner", it is your friend who is providing the service and who would be paying your bills for any delay -- since the fault flows back to his fractional ownership, from a legal standpoint. If the airplane is registered in the US, then you can sue in US courts, even though this occured in Mexico (but your friend may not fully appreciate that!).
Old Feb 10, 11, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there were recently about 10 people in line at ther grocery. took me 15 min to check out. i called safeway for comp. then my bus was 15 min late. called the MTA for more comp.FT'ers are really into comp. wonder if they comp all the people they delay with their incompetence.
Old Feb 10, 11, 6:55 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
uh... so not with a fractional company like netjets or flexjet? off the top of my head i want to say those are two of the companies that offer delay guarantees....
It could have been with Netjets -- they guarantee dispatch of the plane within 4 hours, not completion of the mission or even being mission capable, and from the OP's account that 4 hour dispatch was met. Never mind that the pilots can't land for lack of passports, they were dispatched on time
Old Feb 10, 11, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

huh. i would have sworn that some companies had better guarantees.

maybe im thinking charter/fractional card and charter.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 10, 11 at 8:24 am
Old Feb 10, 11, 10:37 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by slawecki View Post
there were recently about 10 people in line at ther grocery. took me 15 min to check out. i called safeway for comp. then my bus was 15 min late. called the MTA for more comp.FT'ers are really into comp. wonder if they comp all the people they delay with their incompetence.
I don't think this is a relevant metaphor, as Safeway's core business is not contingent on time, whereas one can argue that the competitive advantage of flying private is an on-time departure/arrival. Isn't that one of the several reasons they provide in marketing materials, so that people choose them (and pay significantly more) than opting for a first or business class commercial flight?

Safeway's core business is quality foods and if your food is spoiled, they will refund you no questions asked. Are they required to compensate you by law? I am not sure, but it's a consumer expectation and they know that if they don't, the consumer can take his business elsewhere next time. Obviously, if the OP paid $45,000 for a charter flight when he could have flown first class for less, he may choose to do so next time. If you apply the Safeway comparison correctly, I think that at least from the loyalty perspective, some form of make-good should be offered. Not sure if it needs to be the full amount, as they did get the OP home, eventually, but something, to recognize that they did not live up to their competitive advantage.
Old Feb 10, 11, 9:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gosha83 View Post
I don't think this is a relevant metaphor, as Safeway's core business is not contingent on time, whereas one can argue that the competitive advantage of flying private is an on-time departure/arrival. Isn't that one of the several reasons they provide in marketing materials, so that people choose them (and pay significantly more) than opting for a first or business class commercial flight?

Safeway's core business is quality foods and if your food is spoiled, they will refund you no questions asked. Are they required to compensate you by law? I am not sure, but it's a consumer expectation and they know that if they don't, the consumer can take his business elsewhere next time. Obviously, if the OP paid $45,000 for a charter flight when he could have flown first class for less, he may choose to do so next time. If you apply the Safeway comparison correctly, I think that at least from the loyalty perspective, some form of make-good should be offered. Not sure if it needs to be the full amount, as they did get the OP home, eventually, but something, to recognize that they did not live up to their competitive advantage.
Problem is OP didn't address the problem with the airline company.. OP went and chartered a flight out of there with another carrier. The airline company has their policies, best to call them up. A parallel would be that OP bought caviar from Co-op and asking Safeway to pay for the caviar, when OP bought canned sardines from Safeway.
Old Feb 10, 11, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro View Post
...airline company...OP went and chartered a flight out of there with another carrier. The airline company has their policies, best to call them up...
its not an airline, and OP never chartered anything.

IMHO number_6 clarified things pretty well.

rereading again "second back-up plane" suggests fleet access.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 10, 11 at 10:45 pm
Old Feb 11, 11, 8:54 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

While I will not mention the name it was a major jet fractional ownership company. Since I was not the client, just a passenger, I don't have access to the contract.

What made this frustrating ( and unfortunate) was that they did have contingency plans to send a back -up... which also went mechanical on the runway as it was taking off to get us........on their third try they couldn't find a plane with pilots that had passports on their person to fly into Mexico.....all this turned into a 22 hour delay before a suitable plane and rested passported pilots were ready for "wheels up" in Mexico.

Search this Thread