Flood control timing increase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2001, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member

First, let me say I was going to post this in Suggestions...but after I realized what it made me do I decided to post here.

Flood control is now 90 seconds. I was hoping it was actually going to go to 30 seconds.

After writing my second post of the day...I hit submit and got the flood control warning. I waiting then tried again...then 4 more times. Then I just closed my browser and went to make some tea. That post (an answer to a newcomer) was never posted.

IMO, 90 seconds, geez, even 60 seconds is too long for people that have been brought up with a computer and typing classes.

Dorian

(grammar)

[This message has been edited by Dorian (edited 07-19-2001).]
Old Jul 19, 2001, 10:02 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree, Dorian!

As I'd noted previously,

"Actually, I'd actually suggest going down to 30 secs! The reason I note this is that when things are really bad, (really, REALLY slow, and that is fortunately very rare), is when we appear to most need it, it but when it will not do the job very well since the lock up yields no feedback and one will very likely press return again - and again. We have seen this in the past when 5-10 posts were made over a 30 - 50 min period. So even 5-10 mins would presumably result in little additional gain - yet it will possibly help to discourage too much posting by any individual, in too short a time!

The real trick, IMHO, is simply to press the return key just once!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum72/HTML/000327.html
Old Jul 19, 2001, 2:12 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Another option... but perhaps not an option with this BBS software... is to program the system to not allow two posts from the same person back-to-back.

It does seem to get worse when the system is slower... and sure we are all wondering whether or original post took... so we press enter again!!!! and again!!! and......

William
Old Jul 19, 2001, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I don't see what the big deal is with double posts...

Would rather have better timing...

Dorian
Old Jul 19, 2001, 3:49 pm
doc

Dorian, please remember, this is Flyertalk!

Everything is a BIG deal!

Have a great night!
Old Jul 19, 2001, 4:59 pm
Original Member

90 s is too long! Dorian is spot on.

Doc - lighten up :P
Old Jul 19, 2001, 5:29 pm
doc

Why it is, it really is, the most venerable, the most honorable, "james!"

Incredible! Welcome!

Why I've not witnessed a post of yours since... well, I'm not actually certain, but the last sighting may well have been prior to the release of "The Gladiator!" Yet it may well have been the home video version for what little I know! Actually, what do I know? Let me answer that please. Absolutely,... well nearly nothing! But, FWIW, it was definitely after "The Patriot!"

In any case, for those wondering, yes, I surely did have too much wine with dinner and also, more importantly, it is SUCH a great pleasure to see you post james!

Uh... uh oh! But, uh yes, perhaps I am now a bit too light!

Nah! What a tremendous surprise to see your name grace the boards!!! It's my most sincere hope that it will not be such a rare occasion, but rather that you might "stick around" and share your input with us all!

How do you like the new "smilies", btw? Rumour is that no one really likes 'em, but I just refuse to give up! What d' ya' think?

In any case, have a great evening!

-Mark
Old Jul 19, 2001, 5:49 pm
Original Member

Thank you for your kind words Doc. It is in large part due to your kind enquiries that I am visiting, although I think you will find that my last posts were late April/early May.

No, I don't like the new smilies. In fact, your post and mine seem to indicate that a lot of smilies no longer exist.

I may stay around a little to share my input, but for now, it's a pleasure to be here.

[This message has been edited by james (edited 07-20-2001).]
Old Jul 20, 2001, 8:34 am
doc

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by james:
Thank you for your kind words Doc. It is in large part due to your kind enquiries that I am visiting...

...No, I don't like the new smilies. In fact, your post and mine seem to indicate that a lot of smilies no longer exist....
</font>

As noted by the overexuberance shown above, It's a pleasure seeing you!

Regarding the current "smilie situation" however, we are still seaching for someone who may truly like 'em!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum95/HTML/001241.html

Od course, it's really a VERY small problem in the great scheme of things!

Have a great weekend!
Old Jul 21, 2001, 1:36 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
I agree that the timing has to change. Something between 30s - 45s would be appropriate as this it the time a regular user needs to open another thread and post a quick reply there.
Old Jul 23, 2001, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

This is getting irritating.

I only have so much time to look at nFT in a given day...now a portion of it is sitting & waiting for flood control.

Dorian

------------------
The Global Lounge Project - open source airline lounge listings - managed by Dorian
flyers'places - restaurant, bar & hotel tips - acquired by nFT
The Star Alliance RTW Price Chart - by Dorian
The Star Alliance Gold Comparison Chart - by Blondebomber
Old Jul 23, 2001, 6:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
UBB's default is 60 seconds, which I think is about right ... however, I think 90 seconds is optimal -- keyboarding classes notwithstanding.
Old Jul 23, 2001, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

I used to be able to type 60wpm. Now...oh...maybe 30 without too many errors.

I don't like to give long winded answers...short and to the point.

60 seconds is about 10-15 seconds too long for me. 90 is enuf that I get 'distracted' with work...and dump FT.

My point is basically that I am posting less (ya, I know) and reading less with the 90 seconds. I don't like sitting staring at my screen for now reason except waiting. Prime reason I upgrade my computer every 12-16 months.

Dorian

(spelling)

[This message has been edited by Dorian (edited 07-23-2001).]
Old Jul 24, 2001, 6:20 am
doc

Why allow over 30 seconds?

IMHO, 90 sec is easily at least 3x more time than is necessary - or perhaps even more!

One needs to rememeber to just click "SUBMIT REPLY" only once!
Old Jul 24, 2001, 9:33 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
But the upside to the longer time-between-posts is we no longer have the nagging dupe problem.

60 seconds between posts is probably just as good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.