Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

RoomerTravel =bargain, or somewhat of a scam?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2015, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

A very weird first-hand occurrence: so on March 23 I pay roomer their $500 (all included) asking price for April 5-10 Westgate 2bdrm in Orlando. The immediate email says: thank you for your purchase, we're verifying the seller deal, or something like that. Overnite, a confirmation email: your prepaid booking is confirmed. Even before I originally paid $500, I called Roomer and insisted they verify with the resort that there would be no resort fees, or any fees. Roomer called Westgate and verified. I even send Roomer support a query to verify that verification; and they did! So my card got charged $500 by roomer on March 23.

I'm checking in April 5, and Westgate check-in desk can't find my name. Half hour later, they find "my suite" under Ms.X, and check me in.

At April 10 check-out, I'm told thank you - you're all checked out. I'm almost out on the road, but asking for printout just in case. Westgate printout shows Westgate charged my card (which they required for incidentals at checkin) $712 on April 6!!! I'm asking: "what's this activity?? My stay April 5-10 was prepaid!" Westgate runs upstairs and takes an hour just to come back and tell me: we never got the $500 payment you showed us (and we attached a copy to your registration). I say: why is April 10 the first time I hear about it? And why did you take $712 out of my bank account unauthorized? They say the manager who did that is not in today (Friday), you may call him tomorrow (Saturday). But also, your money is with Roomer, and you should actually deal with them about getting it back. "Roomer doesn't pay us when you pay them. They actually went thru booking.com (who has deal on prepaid fees) to get your suite - but neither of them paid us!

Sorry I can't post more info, as I'm driving from Orlando to NYC right now, and don't even have time to get Roomer on the phone. In the meantime, can anyone chime in on any of this?

P.S. Another funny item mentioned by Westgate was that Ms.X did show up and stayed at the resort!
Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:30 pm

Hmmm, that is somewhat troubling. I have my first roomer reservation coming up for a family vacation in a couple weeks in Orlando. I hope you'll update us as to how this is resolved because I'd hate to run into the same predicament. I hope everything works out for you.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
OP, you seem to continue to have these experiences where charges are made without your knowledge...

My guess is that the way Roomer does business simply lends itself to having some issues sometimes. You should probably have waited to post until you have spoken to them and found out what options they offer you, and have a better understanding of what happened and how they are going to deal with it.

Please do update the thread once you get that info.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:18 pm

Programs: AC Fly-Free-Forever Winner
Originally Posted by whimike
OP, you seem to continue to have these experiences where charges are made without your knowledge....
+1, my thoughts exactly. OP, you are spending way too much energy fighting for deals…
Old Apr 11, 2015, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Cko64, this one is waaaay worse than Expedia fiasco. Here, both Roomer and Westgate sold me my stay: Roomer took my $500 and issued written and verbal promises in exchange; and Westgate took my $712 without ever notifying me of any issue!! I went by front desk every day, was getting a basketball, towels, coffee filters, etc from them. Never ever have they mentioned any issue; what kind of biz are all these entities running...Seems, a no-lose biz lol. How was Westgate's deeping into my bank account different from pick pocketing $712 out of my shorts laying in their room
Old Apr 11, 2015, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by SinglePapa2
Cko64, this one is waaaay worse than Expedia fiasco. Here, both Roomer and Westgate sold me my stay: Roomer took my $500 and issued written and verbal promises in exchange; and Westgate took my $712 without ever notifying me of any issue!! I went by front desk every day, was getting a basketball, towels, coffee filters, etc from them. Never ever have they mentioned any issue; what kind of biz are all these entities running...Seems, a no-lose biz lol. How was Westgate's deeping into my bank account different from pick pocketing $712 out of my shorts laying in their room
After the Expedia issue you had, and with many people asking if you had read the check-in document you signed, surely you read the check-in document that was presented to you at Westgate? On that document surely would state that they have the right to charge your card in any number of circumstances. Hardly similar to somebody pick pocketing money from you.

Do you have an update as to Roomer's response?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

below

Last edited by SinglePapa2; Apr 11, 2015 at 9:09 pm
Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

I'm just up from power nap: drove a very nice bunch from Orlando back to NYC. Had no chance for calls, and will deal with both Roomer and Westgate on Monday.

The Expedia's last-minute cancellation of Feb.17-22 stay (I paid zero for, after "the botched" coupon) was just resolved. April 6 letter to me from investigating bank says: "a credit of $261.66 was placed in your account". Bank erroneously short-changed me further $40, as bank saw 2x$20 credits from the hotel on Feb.23; bank doesn't understand this was to refund security deposits to my card (I'll have to fight these $40 now too, what waste...)

In yesterday's Westgate's case, I trashed their welcome paperwork heading out to check-out. I handed guy my keys, he checked his screen, said you're all checked out have a safe trip home! I ask for printout just in case, walk out with it - and suddenly have to turn around. "What's all this money activity?? I had fully prepaid Apr.5-10 stay" All hell breaks loose, they have stapled to my file 2-page confirmation from Roomer showing my March 23 payment in full of $500. They have stapled card on which they had me cross Ms.X's info and write my own info. They run upstairs, and fully an hour later I hear:

1. Manager who charged your card $712 is not in this Friday
2. Roomer doesn't pay us when they charge you
3. To get your all-inclusive suite deal, Roomer went to booking.com who has agreement with us on fee inclusion
4. Neither Roomer nor booking.com paid us
5. Ms.X did show up and stayed at the resort

I couldn't digest all this following pleasant (up to that morning) 5 day stay. I only took moments to post here - but phone calls may take hours...My initial take: I'm perplexed on Roomer's M.O., and I feel Westgate's action was egregious and well below their industry standing. I'm looking for thoughtful advice here: I'll be shooting for more compensation by Westgate than merely returning my $712. I'm smelling some certificate here
Old Apr 11, 2015, 11:09 pm

I'll be shooting for more compensation by Westgate than merely returning my $712. I'm smelling some certificate here
Why am I not surprised by this....
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Yes, whimike. Criminal Behavior by an employee of "world's largest timeshare co" should be called out. I'm suspecting Westgate misallocated my stay at check-in, under someone else's. On their planet, booking name re-assignment is routine. (Many an owner don't consume their week, rather assigning stay to someone else.) They didn't find any payment for my villa, probably because they themselves assigned me Ms.X's stay. Ms.X might have had nothing to do with Roomer. Later in the day, Ms.X shows up and they (hopefully for her) don't charge her Villa. But the manager on duty, still not able to tie any particular receivable to my file (which had my 2-page Roomer $500 all-in confirmation stapled), charges the price of Ms.X's reservation $142.48 x 5 days forward =$712.40 to my CC # (Acquired from me "for incidentals" at check-in), without ever notifying me - which I view absolutely criminal. How can he do that, if my confirmation is stapled to my file confirming that on Mrch 24 Roomertravel collected from me the $500 (total and final payment for Westgate's 2bdrm villa dates April 5-10)!! How can he put guest's bank account into position of 240% funds depletion, without ever talking to guest? No wonder he never informed any of his co-workers, this is an absolutely criminal action.

Back to Roomer: I still can't believe the story that final Westgate employee gave me (Roomertravel going thru booking.com to get me fee-free suite, neither of them having paid Westgate and currently holding my money - so I have to get it back from them, not from Westgate??) - that's the main reason for my post. Has anyone ever heard anything like this with Roomer? Indeed, if Westgate suggested to me day1 that they are having an issue with payment - then I'd call Roomer right away and work on this issue in real time...

Last edited by SinglePapa2; Apr 12, 2015 at 9:47 am
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Seems something is getting afoot. Got call back from Roomer: "Westgate erred, and is asking to send them bank statement, so they can refund me (within hopefully 48 hours)"

P.S. Roomer is really on top of it now; I just got another call - from supervisor Ben - to tell me he's personally on the case vs. the rogue hotel

Last edited by SinglePapa2; Apr 12, 2015 at 6:05 pm
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:34 pm

Seems something is getting afoot. Got call back from Roomer: "Westgate erred, and is asking to send them bank statement, so they can refund me (within hopefully 48 hours)"

P.S. Roomer is really on top of it now; I just got another call - from supervisor Ben - to tell me he's personally on the case vs. the rogue hotel
So, Roomer is taking care of it, as they should. If you had waited to talk to Roomer, then there probably would have been no need for this rant on FT.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by whimike

So, Roomer is taking care of it, as they should. If you had waited to talk to Roomer, then there probably would have been no need for this rant on FT.
+1
There should be a box before posting about anything being a scam: "I confirm I have spoken with the travel services provider and they have refused to resolve the issue."

As for now alleging criminal behavior by Westgate and expecting a certificate, good luck with that. This does highlight that using roomertravel is inherently risky in the sense the entire website is an attempt to g et around a property's nonrefundable, nontransferable reservations policy.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Both of you friends: why are you making actionable posts into rants. You may be posting to post; I post to exchange timely information. I needed to know, if anyone ever heard of Roomer going thru booking.com, or of Roomer not paying the hotels (or changing name registration) before buyer actually shows up to check-in. Both of these innuendo were aired by Westgate employee, as if to underscore that Roomer is in the league way below them. She actually said: "(instead of calling us back) you should get on top of Roomer - that's who is holding your money". Are any of these statements true, at least in part?

As to seeking reparation from Westgate, an important question is whether actions of that upstairs manager are in fact somewhat of their policy (M.O.)? Or should Westgate bigwigs be dismayed to hear of such treatment of a guest

Mind you, I was trying to get some thoughts on this during the February case involving a smaller hotel. Alas, no one supported that discussion - and we still don't know whether a U.S. hotel manager can use your card information to just sell you future stay, unauthorized. Really: should this be lawful?

I'd love one reader to be able to state that they've managed to check into a hotel WITHOUT providing their card information "for incidentals". I'm afraid this is 100% unavoidable. Well, in the last two of my stays, the hotels made use of my card information to sell me future stay at their arbitrary rates and in total secrecy. I only found out accidently at check-out

Last edited by SinglePapa2; Apr 13, 2015 at 8:50 pm
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Both of you friends: why are you making actionable posts into rants. You may be posting to post; I post to exchange timely information. I needed to know, if anyone ever heard of Roomer going thru booking.com, or of Roomer not paying the hotels (or changing name registration) before buyer actually shows up to check-in. Both of these innuendo were aired by Westgate employee, as if to underscore that Roomer is in the league way below them. She actually said: "(instead of calling us back) you should get on top of Roomer - that's who is holding your money". Are any of these statements true, at least in part?

As to seeking reparation from Westgate, an important question is whether actions of that upstairs manager are in fact somewhat of their policy (M.O.)? Or should Westgate bigwigs be dismayed to hear of such treatment of a guest

Mind you, I was trying to get some thoughts on this during the February case involving a smaller hotel. Alas, no one supported that discussion - and we still don't know whether a U.S. hotel manager can use your card information to just sell you future stay, unauthorized. Really: should this be lawful?

I'd love one reader to be able to state that they've managed to check into a hotel WITHOUT providing their card information "for incidentals". I'm afraid this is 100% unavoidable. Well, in the last two of my stays, the hotels made use of my card information to sell me future stay at their arbitrary rates and in total secrecy. I only found out accidently at check-out
As others have pointed out, it is odd that this has happened to you on your last two stays, where the only common denominator is you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.