Community
Wiki Posts
Search

xONE pricing up

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2009, 1:35 am

Programs: QFF
It's nice that they got rid of the seasonality ex-AU, but I'm disappointed that they used the high season price. I'd have rathered they used a new price. Maybe the low season price+60ish% of the difference from high season.

With the new increases, I might have to reconsider any travel plans I might have had for next year.
I was reconsidering doing another xONE4 this year (after a L#GLOB** in 06 and LONE4s in 07 and 08) after the AUD fell 30% in 2 weeks just after I got home last September, but then the dollar started going up again and they had the 10% discount.
Then again, I've been leaving in high season for the past 3 years anyway... (I just wish I could afford more then 1 LONE4 per year)
Old May 6, 2009, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Even after this most recent increase, it's still a bargain.
OTOH, if you use AONEx tix as cost savers to hit a single destination in Asia (as I do), you also now have to consider seriously the SQ FEZSQ fare, at USD$7,144 AI ex-US. Much less flexibility than an AONEx, but, as I said, if you're only going to one destination, saves a lot of money, not to mention the extra day flying to JNB to get the cost down to USD$8,700++. After most recent increase, AONE3 ex-US is USD$11,600++.
Old May 6, 2009, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Now dirt, BA Silver soon dirt EX NW IGE. EX BA Gold EX AA EXP x9. SQ Gold
"Unbelievable as regular airfares crash."

I agree.
Fly MT airline.
Old May 8, 2009, 8:21 pm

OTOH, if you use AONEx tix as cost savers to hit a single destination in Asia (as I do), you also now have to consider seriously the SQ FEZSQ fare, at USD$7,144 AI ex-US. Much less flexibility than an AONEx, but, as I said, if you're only going to one destination, saves a lot of money, not to mention the extra day flying to JNB to get the cost down to USD$8,700++. After most recent increase, AONE3 ex-US is USD$11,600++.
Yup -- I think you're on to something with this strategy. Even if you buy a domestic First Class ticket across the USA (in order to close the SQ RTW gap) at, say US$985 or so one way on VX, AA, or UA, the total is still $8100 -- far less than the *A or OneWorld RTWs in First.

And, no ten-day minimum stay, either (although you can work around that by nesting consecutive AONExs).

The best AONE3 I can find right now, for southeast Asia, is the US$8198 ex Indonesia, which works well inside the FEZSQ fare, so long as the two trips take place within the three months' validity of the SQ fare.
Old May 9, 2009, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bitterroot
Yup -- I think you're on to something with this strategy. Even if you buy a domestic First Class ticket across the USA (in order to close the SQ RTW gap) at, say US$985 or so one way on VX, AA, or UA, the total is still $8100 -- far less than the *A or OneWorld RTWs in First.
Actually, I never minded BOS-SFO/LAX in coach during the day, even before I hit EXP and got free upgrades and increased chances of one, too. And, in coach, this is really cheap.
Old May 9, 2009, 1:16 pm

Good point. Gap closure on VX -- with a $250 upgrade 24 hours in advance -- can be as little as $109.00. I'm sure it's pretty reasonable on your AA (or even UA or DL) connections.
Old May 10, 2009, 10:19 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I disagree. This was one of the best bargains in the sky. As I've said in other posts, I absolutely cannot figure out how they made money on my typical AONE3, coming in around USD$6K++. I'm surprised that the fares stayed as low as they did for as long as they did.

Even after this most recent increase, it's still a bargain. Even assuming no attempts to maximize mileage, an itinerary like JNB-HKG-LAX-DFW-BOS-LAX-LHR-JNB for USD$8K in F? Try pricing, say, JFK-LHR-JFK in F and see what it costs. AA.com is telling me that it will be nearly USD$9K.
But xONEx also have many restrictions which a full fare F ticket doesn't have. It is a very specialized product and can not be compared to a point to point fare.

I can fly from SYD to LAX and the on to LHR via FRA then BKK back to SYD with the LH segments in F for less than US$7k. An AONE4 would cost almost double that. Star Alliance has priced their RTW product ex Australia in a way that it has become un-usable. And OW is on its way to do the same thing.
Old May 10, 2009, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer

I can fly from SYD to LAX and the on to LHR via FRA then BKK back to SYD with the LH segments in F for less than US$7k. An AONE4 would cost almost double that. Star Alliance has priced their RTW product ex Australia in a way that it has become un-usable. And OW is on its way to do the same thing.
Is that an itinerary one can build without using upgrades, or holding for waitlists to clear (i.e. off a lower booking class)?

If you can put together such a trip using "normal" fares, and in F, not J, tell us more! I completely agree that the Alliance RTW fares have now been overpriced, relative to what we can piece together -- at least on SQ and MH.
Old May 10, 2009, 5:47 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Bitterroot
Is that an itinerary one can build without using upgrades, or holding for waitlists to clear (i.e. off a lower booking class)?

If you can put together such a trip using "normal" fares, and in F, not J, tell us more! I completely agree that the Alliance RTW fares have now been overpriced, relative to what we can piece together -- at least on SQ and MH.
It is the infamous "mini" RTW LH fare ex Australia (and thats not 100% correct as you can also use it as a non RTW). Its a mix class fare with the UA and TG legs in C (TG doesn't offer F to here anymore). As the C bit books into Z waitlists were a problem but not anymore. The F sectors book into A and there has never been a waiting list for me.
Old May 10, 2009, 8:16 pm

Ah, yes.....

I'm with you regarding the relative value of these point-to-point or mini-RTW "A" class fares -- they look more and more attractive as the alliance fares rise in price.
Old May 11, 2009, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
It is the infamous "mini" RTW LH fare ex Australia (and thats not 100% correct as you can also use it as a non RTW). Its a mix class fare with the UA and TG legs in C (TG doesn't offer F to here anymore). As the C bit books into Z waitlists were a problem but not anymore. The F sectors book into A and there has never been a waiting list for me.
Essenially, I gather, an LH version of the FEZSQ type fare I mentioned earlier. These are more restrictive than the AONEx fares. I still hold, however, that on an absolute basis, the AONEx fares are true bargains compared to point-to-point F cabin tix.
Old May 13, 2009, 7:04 pm

Doesn't SQ use P as its unrestricted first class code, leaving F with about the same availability as OneWorld's A? We flew several front-cabin RTW's on SQ (and a partner, usually BA) back around the time they joined *A, and getting more than one seat became more and more difficult, leading to my defection to OneWorld.
Old May 13, 2009, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnAx
Doesn't SQ use P as its unrestricted first class code.....
SQ uses F as unrestricted first class. I am not sure if SQ uses P at all.
Old May 13, 2009, 7:41 pm

P is always zeroed out when you look at SQ inventory -- only F and A.
Old May 13, 2009, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
This is a oneworld forum, the thread is on xONEx's, the last few posts are going off-topic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.