Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by T.A.Music
Which airline from oneworld will crack and demise from covid-19?
Originally Posted by onobond
Given their situation even before Covid-19, my guess would be UL
Well they are the flag carrier of Sri Lanka, and government owned, so they will likely pair down their overall routes etc. at the back end of the pandemic, but I would be surprised if they are completely wiped out. Most nations consider their flag carriers strategic assets and important symbols for the countries.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:46 pm

Just found out Iberia is leaving One World May 1st and joining Delta.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kescalona
Source?
Or are you getting confused with LATAM who are leaving OW. Several threads on that topic
Delta have taken a share of LATAM ownership. But as yet no indication LATAM will joining Skyteam.LATAM will be a DL ff partners

IB is owned by IAG, who also won BA, IE and several other airlines
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...Airlines_Group
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by kescalona
Have your source also given a firm date of hell freezing over?
--update--
On a second thought, you are probably confusing Iberia with LATAM, which indeed leaves on May 1.

Last edited by luitje; Mar 24, 2020 at 7:16 pm
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:00 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
QH Bamboo Airways (Vietnam).

​​​​​​Per the press articles linked in:https://www.airliners.net/forum/view...0ea31980ab8847

Personally don't see it.
While they are backed by a big Vietnamese business, they had expanded very aggressively, and have been known to make grandious statements.

And the timing is just weird with Covid19 closing literally all air traffic
ernestnywang likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 9:30 pm

Alitalia.
Old May 12, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
When is CZ (China Southern) coming in? Though certainly don't wan to loose CX for CZ, but I reckon that has been in the works behind the scenes for a while.
Old May 13, 2020, 1:48 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by iFlyMIA
Alitalia.
Unless Lufthansa comes in and snatches Alitalia (which I hope they don't), it would make a lot of sense for Alitalia to join oneworld... they're network is arguably complementary to that of the other OW members, and arguably, Alitalia should fit into OW's TATL JV pretty well (I read somewhere that a large chunk of Alitalia's revenue comes from flying to New York JFK?)

Having said that, here are some airlines I think would make sense in joining oneworld or oneworld connect

- Rwandair (QR is said to be interested in investing in them)
- GOL Linhas Aereas? (in light of the AA partnership)
- The new South African flag carrier?
- Aer Lingus (IAG)
- Air Europa (IAG)
- China Southern (ahh the classic)
- Starlux Airlines
Old May 13, 2020, 4:24 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by clubeurope
Let's not forget BA has Comair there.

- Starlux Airlines
In fact, Starlux uses oneworld's sequence of Revenue Booking Designator (RBD), which seems to suggest they are interested in oneworld in the long run. They have JCDYBHKMLVSNQ.
clubeurope likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 2:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy, Golden Circle, Marco Polo, MileagePlus, SKYMILES
Unless Lufthansa comes in and snatches Alitalia (which I hope they don't), it would make a lot of sense for Alitalia to join oneworld... they're network is arguably complementary to that of the other OW members, and arguably, Alitalia should fit into OW's TATL JV pretty well (I read somewhere that a large chunk of Alitalia's revenue comes from flying to New York JFK?)

Having said that, here are some airlines I think would make sense in joining oneworld or oneworld connect

- Rwandair (QR is said to be interested in investing in them)
- GOL Linhas Aereas? (in light of the AA partnership)
- Aer Lingus (IAG)
- Air Europa (IAG)
- China Southern (ahh the classic)
- Starlux Airlines
Rwandair is the best airline to feed the oneworld gap in central Africa, but I can't see the possibility to join until their new airport opened.
If GOL willing to join an alliance, they already join when in a relationship with Delta.
China Southern & Starlux (plus Philipines Airlines) are depends on Cathay Pacific....
Old May 14, 2020, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by lokron1125
Rwandair is the best airline to feed the oneworld gap in central Africa, but I can't see the possibility to join until their new airport opened.
If GOL willing to join an alliance, they already join when in a relationship with Delta.
China Southern & Starlux (plus Philipines Airlines) are depends on Cathay Pacific....
The thing is, back when GOL was with Delta, there weren't really any "alliance-lite" options. Additionally, with their JVs with Westjet, Virgin Atlantic and the such, Delta has frankly shown that they don't believe in alliances anymore, hence possibly signalling why they were not pushing GOL to join. The same with LATAM. AA on the other hand has been doing JVs and agreements with airlines traditionally associated with oneworld.

I would imagine, with the oneworld connect scheme, it might be interesting if not a desirable option for GOL to join, particularly if they are influenced by AA to join such a scheme.

Starlux on the other hand, seem very unlikely to grow very big. They target a niche market (or at least they say), and as such by the nature of their business cannot grow to the size of that of BR and CI. Instead, CX may be (should be) interested in pursuing a TPAC joint venture agreement with them, which I believe could be mutually beneficial to both carriers later when JX starts flights to NA (if they do end up following through).
Old May 15, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Starlux on the other hand, seem very unlikely to grow very big. They target a niche market (or at least they say), and as such by the nature of their business cannot grow to the size of that of BR and CI. Instead, CX may be (should be) interested in pursuing a TPAC joint venture agreement with them, which I believe could be mutually beneficial to both carriers later when JX starts flights to NA (if they do end up following through).
JX seems very ambitious, and they definitely plan to grow to a size similar to UL's and RJ's in a few years. Whether it would materialise, I don't know.
Old May 16, 2020, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
JX seems very ambitious, and they definitely plan to grow to a size similar to UL's and RJ's in a few years. Whether it would materialise, I don't know.
I guess given your example, a possible cooperation between JX and CX may look like the degree of codeshare between RJ and QR, if not more. The two serve very similar relatively small markets of point-to-point flights, and has a significant hub-and-spoke model. QR operates to many secondary cities RJ does not, and as such RJ codeshares to several destinations operated by QR, such as CMB, MCT, JNB, NBO, PER, SIN, DAC, LHE, and KHI. RJ would otherwise be too small to serve all these destinations.

Likewise, JX, with their fleet of 10 A321s will unlikely serve all the regional destinations of CX, let alone at similar capacity. Thus CX/KA can work as feeder flights to regional destinations in Asia for JX. JX is definitely the vulnerable one here, since they are relatively small (vs CI and BR) in a very crowded market. Arguably, if JX wants to survive, it better seek help from an alliance or partners. If JX and CX could somehow enter a TPAC JV agreement (assuming JX will fly to NA), this will be beneficial for CX as they are sharing relative revenue for pax who would pay a premium to fly nonstop between Taiwan and the US/Canada.

Just my two cents
ernestnywang likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 7:23 am

Oddly enough (very likely to be an error), Seatguru lists "oneworld" as the airline alliance for JX. Does this tell the future lol
ernestnywang likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond

Oddly enough (very likely to be an error), Seatguru lists "oneworld" as the airline alliance for JX. Does this tell the future lol
Well, it's Seatguru after all.. Not even exactly reliable for their original mission.
clubeurope likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.