Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
It will be hard for LCCs to deliver services to elites (lounges, etc.). All the LA affiliates are full-service airlines.
I wouldn't all all of the existing oneworld affiliates full service airlines.
The JQ group (at least JQ, 3K and GK) should join oneworld as QF affiliates.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Originally Posted by Himeno
I think what keeps jetstar out is QF itself.
JQ is constantly growing and stealing market to QF, at least for the domestic sector, if you want to earn QFF Points on JQ you have to pay more: with JQ into oneworld it wouldn't make any difference between QF and JQ (I'm not referring to quality and service of an airline but pure and merely miles calculation).
I myself had 4 SYD-MEL return plus other domestic flights on QF because of the benefits I'm entitled to and the earning TP factor.
If QF wanted JQ to be part of the alliance they would make them join long time ago
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by themapelligroup
I think what keeps jetstar out is QF itself.

If QF wanted JQ to be part of the alliance they would make them join long time ago
JQ CEO mentioned two years ago that they would like to join oneworld. But in the end they just participate some oneworld fares.

The extra cost (i.e. lounge, luggage, transit instead of point-to-point mode, ffp etc.) to implement alliance membership is not visible for JQ at this moment.

QF still sees JQ as a hidden triumph card towards QF labour issues...
Old Mar 19, 2013, 3:31 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Affiliates (such as KA, LP, etc.) offer the same service to elites as the main carrier. JQ can't afford doing that.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 1:22 pm

In case IAG takes over vueling do you think they'll make it join OW?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 2:09 pm
Suspended

In case IAG takes over vueling do you think they'll make it join OW?
Good question!!!

Being rational, I think the chance is low. However, the recent trial of BA Gatwick to introduce hand-luggage fare make things interesting. At this moment Vueling have three fare products:

1>, Lowest Basic fare without IB Avios and luggage
2>, Advanced optimum fare with IB Avios and luggage but limited flexibility
3>, Flexible Excellence fare with IB Avios and Luggage and food

So I can see BA Gatwick to match this fare structure in future with the addition of Business class.

I think Vueling would be a good candidate to oneworld since Iberia is shrinking and in some way even worse than Vueling. But in order to make Vueling a member of oneworld. Vueling needs to restructure its fare product and introduce quasi-business class in its cabins and throw in lounge access. Or at least make some arrangement for elite member to go into lounge like Airberlin.

I think in near future Vueling will be outside the oneworld alliance. However more benefits may be extended to IAG group airlines. I think the possible changes to Vueling would be BA executive club members be able to earn points on Vueling just as the IB members. Avios.com members will be able to earn avios when book and fly with Vueling. Also they will be able to redeem avios on Vueling routes. But as I said in beginning, the possibility of vueling in oneworld is low. And I think we need another two years to see which direction the wholly IAG owned Vueling would go.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by chongcao
Good question!!!

Being rational, I think the chance is low. However, the recent trial of BA Gatwick to introduce hand-luggage fare make things interesting. At this moment Vueling have three fare products:

1>, Lowest Basic fare without IB Avios and luggage
2>, Advanced optimum fare with IB Avios and luggage but limited flexibility
3>, Flexible Excellence fare with IB Avios and Luggage and food

So I can see BA Gatwick to match this fare structure in future with the addition of Business class.

I think Vueling would be a good candidate to oneworld since Iberia is shrinking and in some way even worse than Vueling. But in order to make Vueling a member of oneworld. Vueling needs to restructure its fare product and introduce quasi-business class in its cabins and throw in lounge access. Or at least make some arrangement for elite member to go into lounge like Airberlin.

I think in near future Vueling will be outside the oneworld alliance. However more benefits may be extended to IAG group airlines. I think the possible changes to Vueling would be BA executive club members be able to earn points on Vueling just as the IB members. Avios.com members will be able to earn avios when book and fly with Vueling. Also they will be able to redeem avios on Vueling routes. But as I said in beginning, the possibility of vueling in oneworld is low. And I think we need another two years to see which direction the wholly IAG owned Vueling would go.
I think vueling may become europe's jetstar: a simpler and cheaper way to fly maintaining some benefits like miles' earning, lounge access, etc...
IAG has substantially a big problem: it's made of two totally different airlines in terms of quality and service. Financial results reflect this discrepancy.
Recently I took my grandfather to Madrid and London and we flew IB and BA and he himself noticed an incredible difference: he was shocked IB doesn't offer a free meal service (I myself am quite upset every time I take an IB flight).
Analyzing oneworld presence in Europe I'd say it has two full carries (BA and AY) and two hybrids (AB lacks of lounges and business seats and IB free food).
Vueling could take advantage of oneworld lounges' strong presence in Europe and add business class seats (or fares, as European business class are economy class seats with privileges). I didn't consider S7 as their network is mainly through Russia.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Whoever it is, please do not steal from Star
I vote for TG then I can use my ADIOS again on my most traveled routings.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 2:14 pm

I think vueling may become europe's jetstar:
QF could do what I suggested a while ago. Create Jetstar Scandinavia in partnership with AY.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 3:42 pm

QF could do what I suggested a while ago. Create Jetstar Scandinavia in partnership with AY.
It would be nice, but QF wouldn't receive any passanger benefits as its only European destination is London and due to the current economic situation set up an airline in the overcrowded European skies is highly hazardous.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 9:45 pm

It would be nice, but QF wouldn't receive any passanger benefits as its only European destination is London and due to the current economic situation set up an airline in the overcrowded European skies is highly hazardous.
*shrugs* QF could just change one of their 2 DXB-LHR flights to DXB-HEL. The QF MEL/SYD-DXB flights are easily timed for people to connect to the other one.
Then AY can stick a codeshare on the QF metal DXB-HEL and replace that awful 757 they use on that route.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 1:07 pm

*shrugs* QF could just change one of their 2 DXB-LHR flights to DXB-HEL. The QF MEL/SYD-DXB flights are easily timed for people to connect to the other one.
Then AY can stick a codeshare on the QF metal DXB-HEL and replace that awful 757 they use on that route.
The alliance with EK has been set up to provide better connection to passengers heading to Europe, I strongly think for the majority of passengers heading to London on QF birds LHR is in fact their final destination.
I doubt they could fill an A380 directed to Helsinki from Australia.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:15 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Recently I took my grandfather to Madrid and London and we flew IB and BA and he himself noticed an incredible difference: he was shocked IB doesn't offer a free meal service (I myself am quite upset every time I take an IB flight).
This lack of service intra-europe is compensated by excellent service on flights transatlantic. My last 2 experiences flying IB to NY were excellent. Meals and Service are better than what I'm used to flying BA & AA. (You even get a real knife&fork :-))
Yes, it's a shame that you don't get a free meal intra-europe but I can handle 2 hours without a meal.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by kcaluwae
This lack of service intra-europe is compensated by excellent service on flights transatlantic. My last 2 experiences flying IB to NY were excellent. Meals and Service are better than what I'm used to flying BA & AA. (You even get a real knife&fork :-))
Yes, it's a shame that you don't get a free meal intra-europe but I can handle 2 hours without a meal.
I've never flown IB long haul so I can't comment but I'm seeing they're improving aircrafts and cabin products.
The short haul "meal problem" is not a problem of course, but as IB is a flag carrier I would expect a certain level of services (their prices are also alligned with other flag carriers which offer full service), otherwise I would fly Ryanair.
Last year I flew 16 sectors on IB and I think only once or twice I had no problems of any pattern (mostly delays)
Old May 16, 2013, 6:32 am
Suspended

It is May now. So far we know the next member would be:

Qatar
Sri Lanka
US and
TAM

So would there be any new member sign up soon?

My bet is on:
1>, Bangkok Airways
Currently have tie with Airberlin, MH, JAL and Qatar. Although it does not bring much to oneworld. But it would further strengthen oneworld's Southeast Asia network and have a bigger hub in Bangkok with extended routes to Laos, Cambodia and Burma.

2>, Vueling
Still awaits IAG's plan on this Barcelona based airline

Some other unlikely but sensible airlines which may attract oneworld's interests:
1>, Air India
Yes we know we know. How horrible this airline is. But with Kingfisher lost its wings and unlikely to recover, oneworld needs to look beyond the dysfunctional carrier. Etihad's injection to Jet Airways will stop Jet's progress towards oneworld or Star Alliance. while being rejected by star alliance, Air India needs to look elsewhere. Although Air India would not be a typical oneworld member but it would provide some opportunities.

2>, China Southern
In China, the airline CEO has very strong influence on airline's alliance membership. This can be seen from the former China Southern, China Eastern CEOs and Air China CEO. The current China Southern boss is not very happy because he is living under the shadow of the current China Eastern CEO. Although China Eastern is introduced by China Southern into sky team, the legend or importance of the former China Southern CEO had brought his connection to China Eastern. Will China Southern defect? Possibly not. One thing is certain though. The tension between China Eastern and China Southern will rise as further corporation (or the vision of merge under the former China Southern CEO) is not in the card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.