FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]
Old Mar 19, 2013, 3:15 pm
themapelligroup

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Originally Posted by chongcao
Good question!!!

Being rational, I think the chance is low. However, the recent trial of BA Gatwick to introduce hand-luggage fare make things interesting. At this moment Vueling have three fare products:

1>, Lowest Basic fare without IB Avios and luggage
2>, Advanced optimum fare with IB Avios and luggage but limited flexibility
3>, Flexible Excellence fare with IB Avios and Luggage and food

So I can see BA Gatwick to match this fare structure in future with the addition of Business class.

I think Vueling would be a good candidate to oneworld since Iberia is shrinking and in some way even worse than Vueling. But in order to make Vueling a member of oneworld. Vueling needs to restructure its fare product and introduce quasi-business class in its cabins and throw in lounge access. Or at least make some arrangement for elite member to go into lounge like Airberlin.

I think in near future Vueling will be outside the oneworld alliance. However more benefits may be extended to IAG group airlines. I think the possible changes to Vueling would be BA executive club members be able to earn points on Vueling just as the IB members. Avios.com members will be able to earn avios when book and fly with Vueling. Also they will be able to redeem avios on Vueling routes. But as I said in beginning, the possibility of vueling in oneworld is low. And I think we need another two years to see which direction the wholly IAG owned Vueling would go.
I think vueling may become europe's jetstar: a simpler and cheaper way to fly maintaining some benefits like miles' earning, lounge access, etc...
IAG has substantially a big problem: it's made of two totally different airlines in terms of quality and service. Financial results reflect this discrepancy.
Recently I took my grandfather to Madrid and London and we flew IB and BA and he himself noticed an incredible difference: he was shocked IB doesn't offer a free meal service (I myself am quite upset every time I take an IB flight).
Analyzing oneworld presence in Europe I'd say it has two full carries (BA and AY) and two hybrids (AB lacks of lounges and business seats and IB free food).
Vueling could take advantage of oneworld lounges' strong presence in Europe and add business class seats (or fares, as European business class are economy class seats with privileges). I didn't consider S7 as their network is mainly through Russia.