Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum, AA LT Gold
On the point for S7, most of the flights of S7 to EE are once/twice per week. In addition, 80%+ of the traffic from Eastern Europe goes to or via Western Europe, so DME/MOW are indeed peripheral. Lastly, transitting via Russia might require a visa for a lot of nationalities. Compare this to ATL-MIA-BOS, with mutliple flights per day on each leg and no red tape.

Even BA/IB/AY do not have the frequency or even the fare structure to support intra-EU connections. Pre-2014, I used to do multiple GVA-LHR-SOF runs. This is no longer offered on a single fare, and the outbound is only possible with an overnight. Meanwhile, the low cost carriers offer convenient direct connections for the city pairs that are most demanded at an acceptable cost.

The big issue here is that Oneworld and the classic alliance model in general are loosing share to the low cost model, which are better suited to spot and serve the demand. Oneworld needs to adapt and recruiter growing more agile airlines, to stay relevant. This is true even considering the argument that alliances focus on premium traffic only. Premium passengers don't just do LHR-JFK-LAX-HKG-FRA hops. You do want to use your miles and your loyalty perks on a random ZRH-HER trip in July.
scnzzz likes this.

Last edited by yminev; May 25, 2018 at 3:05 am
Old May 25, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Indeed, I would submit that S7 is far and away the least beneficial member of the alliance for those outside its own FFP, as it's really only focused on the markets in the former USSR/CIS. Not big numbers there. Even AY, small as it is, has some very good NA/EU-Asia connections.
Old May 26, 2018, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yminev
Even BA/IB/AY do not have the frequency or even the fare structure to support intra-EU connections.
This is on purpose. IAG has said a few times in their investor presentations that shorthaul-to-shorthaul is not, generally speaking, profitable.
yminev likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Al-Baker has reiterated at the Farnborough Air Show that he wants Air Italy to join oneworld, initially as an associate member, working towards full membership. And the Air Italy Chief Customer Experience Officer yesterday hinted that an announcement was in the near future.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Hoping Qatar as parent company has the muscle and money to modernize Air Italy fleet, to a higher level than present wet-leases
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
To keep this thread going in circles..

QF and MU have upgraded their cooperation, and JL has also signed a new agreement with MU.

https://blueswandaily.com/china-eastern-airlines-and-qantas-sign-business-agreement/

https://blueswandaily.com/japan-airlines-and-china-eastern-airlines-sign-mou-to-apply-for-joint-business-agreement/

Still don't see either MU or CZ shifting from skyteam to oneworld given CX likely vote against it.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
MU and DL are very tight. I'd be shocked if MU switched to OW. If anything, CZ is much more likely to switch to OW. Though CX probably wouldn't be in favor of it.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I thought I had heard somewhere that in the last 60 days or so Aerlingus was working towards JV or antitrust immunity with AA or BA on transatlantic routes. If so, that would certainly move them closer to 1W.

Adding Aer Lingus and Air Italy would go a ways to 1) providing some redundancy in the EU network which is beset by carriers on the periphery of the continent and 2) give us more options to avoid LHR and BA's awful surtaxes.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
If Aer Lingus became part of OW or I would certainly use them for flights to the US given their US immigration facilities at Irish airports.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I thought I had heard somewhere that in the last 60 days or so Aerlingus was working towards JV or antitrust immunity with AA or BA on transatlantic routes. If so, that would certainly move them closer to 1W.
EI is working towards joint venture membership but I think that is orthogonal to alliance membership. For instance, VS is not in sky team and has no plans to join, yet is nearly half owned by DL and participates in the AF/KL/DL transatlantic joint venture.

The question for EI is, is it worth the cost? It left last time because it was too expensive.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
It left last time during a time when it was an independent company. Now its owned in large measure by IAG, Different times and different expectations.

One other thing that I would bring up. Aer Lingus departed 1W about 11 year ago. The taxes and fees that BA charges for business class tickets and premium services came about (IIRC) after Aer Lingus' departure. Certainly the hatred of the fees/taxes has grown since Aer Lingus departed.

I'd be willing to bet that more than a few passengers would be willing to connect via DUB rather than pay BA's king's ransom...
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Calchas
The question for EI is, is it worth the cost? It left last time because it was too expensive.
EI left oneworld in 2007 when then incoming members Japan Airlines, Malév and Royal Jordanian joined as they didn't want to pay to link their systems to the new members. The way the systems are linked together now is different and presumably much cheaper then it used to be.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Himeno
EI left oneworld in 2007 when then incoming members Japan Airlines, Malév and Royal Jordanian joined as they didn't want to pay to link their systems to the new members. The way the systems are linked together now is different and presumably much cheaper then it used to be.
EI still uses the same old system I believe although both JL and RJ are on Amadeus now (and MA is gone). Nonetheless, it shouldn't be too different for them to connect to BA/IB than to the other oneworld members on Amadeus, so indeed the extra cost should be much lower now. Given they would want to work with AA on Trans-Atlantic JV, they will have to link with AA, too. The only one left would be LA, which uses its own Sabre system (that is not the same partition AA uses).

Last edited by ernestnywang; Aug 26, 2018 at 1:33 pm
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
I heard a rumour some time ago that EI were to switch to Amadeus themselves, which would help with alignment, if not with oneworld, then at least with BA/IB. Might happen at the same time that IB move their back end system to Amadeus too (if either EI/IB upgrade happens at all).
Dambus and ernestnywang like this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: JL OW Sapphire, NH *A Gold
MU?

http://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/201810/004914.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.