Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

DONE4 Rules, rules, rules: "Free Transit" in Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2008, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM, SkyTeam Gold, *A Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, mother's favorite son

Just plotting an A/DONE5 ex south africa and there are 3 questions I can't find answers to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. I understand we’re permitted two entries into europe if one is merely a transit without stopover from ghana, kenya, nigeria, uganda or tanzania. The question is: can I transit europe from one of those countries even if europe is NOT one of my continents? The “must-count-asia-if-transiting-between-SWP-&-Europe” rule would imply that I can’t; but the “may-transit-europe-once-without-couting-it” rule would imply that I can, and I dunno which takes precedence.

2. Are we permitted to change our continents after ticketing? I’d like the flexibility of being able to substitue, say, SWP for SA in 12 months’ time if I so desire... but not if it means canceling and reissuing after possible price hikes. Any idea whether substituting one continent for another is allowed? (I've read sec 16 #2(a) of the rules on this and it seems to me to allow it, but it's not entirely clear.)

3. As long as the itinerary starts in the country of purchase, I assume there’s no problem having surface sectors in the continent of origin? After starting in South Africa, I wanna get to the US using as few continents/sectors as possible. As there are no direct flights, it seems the only way to do this without "wasting" a continent is to fly from somewhere in South Africa to JNB to kick the fare off, then make my own way to DAR/EBB/NBO and use the 2-transit-in-europe rule to fly from there to the US via LHR. Kosher? And if so, does a surface sector count as "one stopover" or "two"?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Zeffer; Mar 16, 2008 at 1:57 pm Reason: minor tweak
Old Mar 16, 2008, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
1. Europe must be one of your continents; it is not possible to have an OWE that does not include Europe.

2. Yes

3. The answer to 1 probably makes this irrelevant but a surface segment "normally" counts as one stopover; there have been cases, however, where the airline has insisted that it counts as two stopovers.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 3:55 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Zeffer
3. As long as the itinerary starts in the country of purchase, I assume there’s no problem having surface sectors in the continent of origin? After starting in South Africa, I wanna get to the US using as few continents/sectors as possible. As there are no direct flights, it seems the only way to do this without "wasting" a continent is to fly from somewhere in South Africa to JNB to kick the fare off, then make my own way to DAR/EBB/NBO and use the 2-transit-in-europe rule to fly from there to the US via LHR. Kosher? And if so, does a surface sector count as "one stopover" or "two"?
This is not a very efficient way of doing things, but certainly possible. Better would be to start your trip and go to Asia and then do Europe on the return. Or go do LHR from JNB and do Europe as when you start.
Also, if you are on e AONE5 check which F product (if any) is being used on routes from Northern Africa. You will really be able to enjoy the F service from JNB to LHR and not on short routes.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 6:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
2. Yes, but obviously need to reissue as changing the routing, and the new routing (including sectors already flown to date) must comply with all the rules.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold
2. The fare and rules are locked after your first flight. If you want to change continents before your first flight it will be a reprice. After your first flight there is no reprice, but it will be a reissue, and you might be charged with extra taxes/fuel fines. If you increase the number of continents you will have to pay extra, and if you reduce the number of continents you won't get a refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.