Wiki Posts
Search

xONEx max. 16 segments (speculation)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2007, 6:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: None any more
Question xONEx max. 16 segments (speculation)

I've just received an email from AA which is pushing the OW Explorer ticket and their RTW desk. One disturbing aspect is that it says "Prices are in USD and are based on U.S. point of sale/point of origin, exclude taxes & fees and allow a maximum of 16 flight segments." (my emphasis).

Any news/corroboration on whether this is just a mistake, or is another rule change imminent?
Old May 30, 2007, 7:02 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I got the same email. I doubt it's a rule change, simply evidence of marketing people's ignorance of the products. The OW link still says 20 flights.
Old May 30, 2007, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

16 flight segments on e-ticket
20 flight segments on hand written ticket (which AA do not like to issue) ??
If the rule does change would be another major devalution of *ONE4, *ONE5 & *ONE6
Old May 30, 2007, 7:21 pm

It would seem logical for OW to reduce the maximum to 16 segments, since that number matches their infrastructure capabilities for ticket production. And afaik the ticket will still give more bang per buck than any competitive offering.

Thus, it's likely to remain at 20.
Old May 30, 2007, 7:37 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by JohnAx
It would seem logical for OW to reduce the maximum to 16 segments, since that number matches their infrastructure capabilities for ticket production.
I think it's only AA/Sabre that has that limitation.
Old May 30, 2007, 11:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
16 flight segments on e-ticket
20 flight segments on hand written ticket (which AA do not like to issue) ??
If the rule does change would be another major devalution of *ONE4, *ONE5 & *ONE6
Agreed. 16 is a bit harsh, especially if *A RTW stays at 24. Hopefully it is just someone at AA mixing up the 2 concepts.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 31, 2007 at 12:17 pm
Old May 31, 2007, 10:12 am
Suspended

I thought AA said no more paper tickets from 2007 onwards? That is prob why they have this restrction.

To actually support the rules of the XONEX there really should be at least 22 segments.
Old May 31, 2007, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Dave Marsh
...To actually support the rules of the XONEX there really should be at least 22 segments.
What rule does a 20-segment OWE break?
Old May 31, 2007, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Viajero
I think Dave meant coupons, taking into consideration open-jaws, but in that case the number is much higher. How does Star (presumably also on 16-segment e-tickets soon) expect to handle 24-segment trips?
Old May 31, 2007, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by JohnAx
I think Dave meant coupons, taking into consideration open-jaws, but in that case the number is much higher. How does Star (presumably also on 16-segment e-tickets soon) expect to handle 24-segment trips?
Maybe issue separate tickets and cross reference them? Or is there something I'm not aware of prohibiting this from happening?
Old Jun 1, 2007, 7:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Viajero
If you want to maximise exactly what the rules are saying. Lets say on a DONE4:

4 segments in Asia
4 Segments in SWP
6 Segments in US
4 Segments in Europe

That is 18 sectors already

Then to get from asia to SWP = 1 sector

SWP to US = 1 sector
US to EUR = 1 sector
EUR-Asia = 1 sector

total sectors required = 22.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 8:58 am

The 20 segment limit only came in within the last 4-5 years IIRC. Previously there was no overall segment limit, just the restrictions on flight segments in individual continents. Imagine doing MRs before that enhancement.

edited to add: Found a thread detailing the introduction of the 20 segment rule - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185964
Old Jun 1, 2007, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by QF009
The 20 segment limit only came in within the last 4-5 years IIRC. Previously there was no overall segment limit, just the restrictions on flight segments in individual continents. Imagine doing MRs before that enhancement.
I can imagine it, because I did it. This was my first AONE5 ex-ARN, issued in January 2002:

ARN-(BA)-LHR-(BA)-DXB-(BA)-LHR//FRA-(AA)-DFW-(AA)-SCL-(LA)-IPC-(LA)-SCL-(LA)-LAX-(AA)-ORD-(AA-SEA-(AA)-ORD-(AA)- SFO-(AA)-ORD//JFK-(AA)-SFO-(CX)-HKG-(CX)-KIX-(CX)-HKG-(CX)-DPS-(CX)-HKG-(CX)-BKK-(QF)-SYD-(QF)-AYQ-(QF)-PER-(QF)- SYD-(LA)-AKL-(CX)-HKG-(CX)-LHR-(BA)-ARN

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=A...OR=&MAP-STYLE=

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jun 1, 2007 at 11:48 am Reason: Added spaces to help page format
Old Jun 1, 2007, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by PresRDC
I can imagine it, because I did it. This was my first AONE5 ex-ARN, issued in January 2002:

ARN-(BA)-LHR-(BA)-DXB-(BA)-LHR//FRA-(AA)-DFW-(AA)-SCL-(LA)-IPC-(LA)-SCL-(LA)-LAX-(AA)-ORD-(AA-SEA-(AA)-ORD-(AA)- SFO-(AA)-ORD//JFK-(AA)-SFO-(CX)-HKG-(CX)-KIX-(CX)-HKG-(CX)-DPS-(CX)-HKG-(CX)-BKK-(QF)-SYD-(QF)-AYQ-(QF)-PER-(QF)- SYD-(LA)-AKL-(CX)-HKG-(CX)-LHR-(BA)-ARN

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=A...OR=&MAP-STYLE=
Nice!

I think the ONE product is still awesome value with the 20 segment limit. Then again I'm only in the midst of issuing my first, a DONE4 - might have a different opinion if I've done a DONE (pardon the pun) before the 20 segment limit.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
As far as E-tickets are concerned it'll be a maximum of 16 sectors. If you have a surface sector or arrive into one airport and depart from another, ie JFK/LGA, the ARNK bit counts as one sector !

AA is just preparing for end of 2007/beginning 2008 when all paper tickets will be done away with if e-ticketing is permitted. Which means that everything may be restricted to 16 sectors when you issue a RTW ticket. You may add on as you travel, but I don't know how AA or other oneworld partners will handle this - but I think it will be problematic no matter how simple the airlines want you to look at things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.