SYD-JFK
JFK-MIA
MIA-BOS
BOS-DFW
DFW-LAX
LAX-YVR (seperate on AS)
YVR-JFK
JFK-LHR
LHR-EDI (seperate on oneworld country pass)
EDI-CDG (seperate on oneworld country pass)
CDG-LHR (seperate on oneworld country pass)
LHR-MXP
MXP-LHR
LHR-DXB
DXB-LHR
LHR-SIN
SIN-HKG
HKG-TPE
TPE-NRT
NRT-HKG
HKG-AKL
AKL-MEL
MEL-PER
PER-SYD

Total Miles earned: 68250.5

I have a few questions, for the following cities do you guys have any suggestions for alternate place to visit (bear in mind the mile earn capability and also interesting place to visit)

MIA (Only have less than 24 hours here) and MXP
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by newcx12345
I have a few questions, for the following cities do you guys have any suggestions for alternate place to visit (bear in mind the mile earn capability and also interesting place to visit)

What time of the year?

If you have never been there MIA is very interesting for a 24hr visit, but the airport can be a royal pain and summer in Florida is not for everybody. If you are travelling in winter then an alternative could be JFK-SJO-BOS, for both miles and an interesting destination.

Milano is great in fall/spring, problematic the rest of the year. Mileage is poor from LHR but if it is your first visit to Italy, who cares about miles?

If you provide more info we can give better, more specific, advice.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:12 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold MPO
I will be travelling in December

I have being to FCO before. But I don't know what other European cities that can earn good miles ( I don't want SVO as I don't particularly want to goto Russia).

SJO seems to be a bit too far (But i can understand about that mileage part).
As after this trip I can maintain my Gold MPO, hence an extra 2000miles is not that important.

Any more suggestions??

Thanks
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
for the following cities do you guys have any suggestions for alternate place to visit (bear in mind the mile earn capability and also interesting place to visit)

How about SJU instead of MIA? (An extra 900 or so base miles). In Europe there are so many choices: Milan is expensive to stay and shop; IST maximises miles.

If LAX isn't important to you then consider this in NA:

jfk-phx-dfw-bos-dfw-yvr-jfk-lhr

which is about 1850 base miles more than what you proposed.

Then, to keep within 20 segments, in Asia do HKG-NRT-HKG and buy a HKG-TPE-HKG R/T which can be done on CX for around US$250 in L.

Last edited by christep; Jul 30, 2004 at 10:30 am
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:25 am

I will be travelling in December
. . .
Any more suggestions??
In December my suggestions would include, not in any order:

* IST, for a cultural experience, and reasonable miles.
* ATH, for the same reason, and so-so miles.
* Anywhere in Southern Spain (Seville, Cordoba, Granada, ...), for the time of your life, period. Good enough to make you forget about unimportant things like miles.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:32 am
Suspended

Note that the rules prohibit ATH (or Russia) and DXB on the same DONE4. IST and DXB is allowed.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
It might be more beneficial for you to buy 2 seperate tickets between LHR-EDI-LHR, and LHR-CDG-LHR rather than the Oneworld Visit Europe pass. There are many many special fare deals for those cities. But the only disadvantage is that you may not get any mileage under any programme for those cheap cheap BA fares.

You can get as low as GBP 40 return between LHR-CDG (before tax).
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by christep
Note that the rules prohibit ATH (or Russia) and DXB on the same DONE4. IST and DXB is allowed.
How true, and sad. Yes, good catch, thanks. I got carried away thinking of the Parthenon on a clear winter day and forgot the blasted rule. Anyhow, there's always Andalucia and the Costa del Sol...
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Viajero
Anyhow, there's always Andalucia and the Costa del Sol...
Indeed. I have fond memories of a treking holiday through the white villages. The posadas run by "black grannies" (sorry if that isn't the politcally correct term, but it is intended as one of admiration) where the donkey still lives in the basement are a great experience.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by christep
Indeed. I have fond memories of a treking holiday through the white villages. The posadas run by "black grannies" (sorry if that isn't the politcally correct term, but it is intended as one of admiration) where the donkey still lives in the basement are a great experience.
Ahhh,.. you are one lucky person, much to be envied; the "ruta de los pueblos blancos" (Ronda - Arcos de la Frontera), when visited the way you did, is a truly wonderful experience.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 11:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks Guys for all your help.

Unfortunately I am more of a city person (Dinning, Lux Hotels, Shopping etc...) Therefore I also have to factor that into place.

Also due to work commitments I only have 4 weeks to complete this, therefore I don't think I can fit another destination in Asia.

That 20 segment rule I think is BS! It should be 21. Why are they doing this?
Just doesn't make sense

Also for all you travel buffs, what hotels would you recommend in (5 Stars):

MIA
MXP
LAX
DXB

Thanks
Old Jul 30, 2004, 12:02 pm

MIA
MXP
LAX
DXB
So, no donkeys in the basement for you. Ok, the only 5 star I have ever been to in the above places is the PRINCIPE DE SAVOIA in Milano, and only because somebody else paid for it. Top, top, class, with rates to match.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 3:14 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Thanks Guys for all your help.

Unfortunately I am more of a city person (Dinning, Lux Hotels, Shopping etc...) Therefore I also have to factor that into place.

Also due to work commitments I only have 4 weeks to complete this, therefore I don't think I can fit another destination in Asia.

That 20 segment rule I think is BS! It should be 21. Why are they doing this?
Just doesn't make sense

MIA
MXP
LAX
DXB

Thanks
I believe DXB has a 6 star hotel - that one that looks like a sailboat - http://www.burj-al-arab.com/ .
Old Jul 30, 2004, 4:16 pm

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
SYD-JFK
JFK-MIA
MIA-BOS
BOS-DFW
DFW-LAX
LAX-YVR (seperate on AS)
YVR-JFK Just check that CX have traffic rights on this route for your ticket.
JFK-LHR if you do not have to do EDI before CDG then I would suggest taking AA on the JFK to CDG and then you could skip a coupon from the country pass later. Don't know your priority here and if you even want to stop in London at this point in your trip.
LHR-EDI (seperate on oneworld country pass) see comments on other posting.
LHR-MXP Why MXP and not LIN, MXP is a pain to travel to and from if you are going to Milan city. Do not arrive late at night at MXP it will take you hours to get into the city on the bus as the trains have stopped running etc... (particularly the BA that lands around 2200) If you do need a good hotel just off the airport at MXP then the Villa Malpensa is good but can be expensive. The shuttle can stop running around the 2200 time and so you have to take a taxi round the corner, or walk for 15 minutes along the roads as I do.
MXP-LHR oh yes, watch out for the fog...
LHR-DXB
DXB-LHR option of day and night flights, decide to sleep on board or hotel.
LHR-SIN any reason for not doing LHR to HKG direct to save the next coupon?
SIN-HKG
HKG-TPE
TPE-NRT
NRT-HKG
HKG-AKL good for the 5000 mile requirements
AKL-MEL
MEL-PER
PER-SYD

I might just consider going to Sri Lanka on a cheap ticket and buying a CX issued AONE4 for the same price as your DONE4 from SYD.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 8:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spotwelder
SYD-JFK
JFK-MIA
MIA-BOS
BOS-DFW
DFW-LAX
LAX-YVR (seperate on AS)
YVR-JFK Just check that CX have traffic rights on this route for your ticket.
JFK-LHR if you do not have to do EDI before CDG then I would suggest taking AA on the JFK to CDG and then you could skip a coupon from the country pass later. Don't know your priority here and if you even want to stop in London at this point in your trip.
LHR-EDI (seperate on oneworld country pass) see comments on other posting.
LHR-MXP Why MXP and not LIN, MXP is a pain to travel to and from if you are going to Milan city. Do not arrive late at night at MXP it will take you hours to get into the city on the bus as the trains have stopped running etc... (particularly the BA that lands around 2200) If you do need a good hotel just off the airport at MXP then the Villa Malpensa is good but can be expensive. The shuttle can stop running around the 2200 time and so you have to take a taxi round the corner, or walk for 15 minutes along the roads as I do.
MXP-LHR oh yes, watch out for the fog...
LHR-DXB
DXB-LHR option of day and night flights, decide to sleep on board or hotel.
LHR-SIN any reason for not doing LHR to HKG direct to save the next coupon?
SIN-HKG
HKG-TPE
TPE-NRT
NRT-HKG
HKG-AKL good for the 5000 mile requirements
AKL-MEL
MEL-PER
PER-SYD

I might just consider going to Sri Lanka on a cheap ticket and buying a CX issued AONE4 for the same price as your DONE4 from SYD.

1) CX does have traffic right from YVR-JFK. I think this is the ONLY REAL transcontinental F Class (when compare to the substandard AA). I am surprised you don't know.

2) Want to Avoid AA at all cost as there J Class is inferior

3) Agree with LIN, I will change that

4)"MXP-LHR oh yes, watch out for the fog..."??? What do you mean???
The reason why I need MXP on the return leg is because of the connection to DXB, For LIN, I can't take the overnighter to DXB as the connection time is insufficient.

5) "DXB-LHR option of day and night flights, decide to sleep on board or hotel." I literally used the plane as the hotel earlier this year when I did a DONE4. However when I arrived into DXB from the overnighted from LHR, I was so tired, so I paid 100USD for a substandard Le Meridien (NOT the Airport one) and slept.

6)"LHR-SIN any reason for not doing LHR to HKG direct to save the next coupon?"
Well That is why I want to fly LHR-SIN to save a coupon. If I goto HKG I have to waste another coupon to get to SIN!

Also LHR-SIN = More miles and more time on a Club World Bed (Compared to the Slant bed on cX)

"I might just consider going to Sri Lanka on a cheap ticket and buying a CX issued AONE4 for the same price as your DONE4 from SYD." ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THAT??? Tickets from SYD-Sri Lanka are not CHEAP.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.