RTW ticket advice

Old Apr 29, 04, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

RTW ticket advice

Hi,

I've been reading through previous threads but still aren't clear on a couple of things.

The route I'm intending on flying via OW is (sorry, don't know all destination abbreviations)

Manchester - NY
NY - Toronto
Toronto - Memphis
New Orleans - Chicago
Chicago - San Francisco
Los Angeles - Auckland
Wellington - Christchurch
Christchurch - Melbourne
Darwin - Cairns
Sydney - Osaka
Tokyo - Hong Kong
Beijing - Bangkok
Bangkok - Bombay
Delhi - Manchester

I'm leaving Sept 04. I've decided to get a ticket with dates fixed until January and ask for the remainder of the ticket to be left open date.

A disadvantage of open date tickets is that the flights aren't booked, therefore you may not get the flights you want. I thought a way round this would be to reserve/book all the flights for the remainder of my trip (I may change them, but at least I have a back up if necessary).

I'm just a bit confused as to how to go about this. Once I'm issued with the ticket can I then start phoning up and reserving flights for the whole of my journey? Are there any restrictions regarding how soon you can start reserving flights or is it ok to book them before I leave? By doing it this way, is it as safe as having a ticket with the flight dates printed on it, e.g if the flight gets cancelled?

Thanks
Old Apr 30, 04, 4:31 am

Programs: BA, LH, BD
pls state what class of travel u are in,
in regards to open ticketing or pre booking, its up to you - if you itin is fixed just have it all ticketed before hand.
if you are not sure , leave it open. most of the places you are travelling you should be able to work out if its peak season etc . and base your decision on that. Class of service will determine how many other people will be filling that plane.
Old Apr 30, 04, 8:40 am

You should be able to make reservations even before ticketing, then tell whoever is ticketing to show the tickets "OPEN" (except for the first segment.)

It is nice to have reservations if your trip is choreographed, and probably nice to have open tickets if you're doing a trip that's very flexible and have no idea how long you'll stay in a place. Of course it shouldn't matter - the rules clearly say you can change schedules as long as you don't change the route - but there are reports of a few airline agents who insist that the ticket match the reservation. I haven't run into any of them yet.

It may help if you're in A class - agents are used to first-class tickets generally being flexible anyway, whereas so many coach tickets have all kinds of restrictions. Arguably, check-in agents mostly have never heard of OWE and perhaps can't imagine a coach ticket (unless it says "Y") having any rights.
Old Apr 30, 04, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

The quote for the ticket is around 1400 + taxes, so I guess it'll be economy class? (definately not first class!)

Just phoned up Qantas and was told that if the ticket is open dated then every time a flight is booked the ticket will need to be changed to include the date and for that there'll be a fee of 10, which can be charged but will depend on the mood of the person at the time (her words, not mine).

She also said that if I buy an open date ticket then I can't reserve any flights until after I've set off, which sounds crazy (I'd literally be trying to get my next flight for 8 days after I'd set off). More confused than ever now.
Old Apr 30, 04, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
What you have reported the Qantas person as telling you is wrong in every significant aspect (except perhaps the price). Unfortunately there are a lot of people in the airlines who have very poor knowledge of these tickets. Because of the complexity of these tickets AA runs a dedicated Round The World desk with people who do know what they are talking about. If you could route you transatlantic flight on AA and have a means of calling the US at reasonable rates then you could deal directly with them on this: +1 800 247 3247.

Personally I have also had good experience dealing with the Cathay Pacific phone ticketing office in London but since you appear to have no longhaul flights on CX they may be reluctant to handle it.
Old Apr 30, 04, 10:59 pm

BA seems a reasonable third choice after AA and CX. QF are making themselves real losers in this arena, though - I ticketed with them a couple of turns ago and the rate person had to be convinced that the milk run from Cairns to Gladstone, which stops three times en route, was one segment if I ticketed CNS-GLT. Since, there have been countless postings here of similar foolishness. I'd avoid them whenever possible.
Old May 1, 04, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies.

I phoned the AA line in the UK. They can issue me with an open ticket but if I give them any dates at the time of booking they'll be printed on the ticket. Once I pay for my ticket and it arrives (they said 1-2 weeks), can I then start reserving dates, or do I have to wait until I set off - really not sure about this part. I think I've read that you can only change dates once you've begun travelling - does the same apply to making reservations?

I'd ideally like to see the whole terms and conditions for a OW ticket. I've searched on the internet but no luck - is it freely available?

Thanks again.
Old May 1, 04, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
About every third thread in this forum has a link to the rules online, which are here:
http://www.hardlink.com/~markdu/OWFiles/

You can make (and change) reservations whenever you wish remembering that the class you must book in for an economy ticket is L), however, the airlines may ask that you give them the ticket number by a certain date or the reservation will automatically lapse. the exception to this is the first international flight (and any preceding it). These must be made at the time of ticketing and, in economy, there are certain restrictions/costs associated with changing them later.

Search this Thread