FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - RTW ticket advice
View Single Post
Old Apr 29, 2004, 4:36 pm
rowena

RTW ticket advice

Hi,

I've been reading through previous threads but still aren't clear on a couple of things.

The route I'm intending on flying via OW is (sorry, don't know all destination abbreviations)

Manchester - NY
NY - Toronto
Toronto - Memphis
New Orleans - Chicago
Chicago - San Francisco
Los Angeles - Auckland
Wellington - Christchurch
Christchurch - Melbourne
Darwin - Cairns
Sydney - Osaka
Tokyo - Hong Kong
Beijing - Bangkok
Bangkok - Bombay
Delhi - Manchester

I'm leaving Sept 04. I've decided to get a ticket with dates fixed until January and ask for the remainder of the ticket to be left open date.

A disadvantage of open date tickets is that the flights aren't booked, therefore you may not get the flights you want. I thought a way round this would be to reserve/book all the flights for the remainder of my trip (I may change them, but at least I have a back up if necessary).

I'm just a bit confused as to how to go about this. Once I'm issued with the ticket can I then start phoning up and reserving flights for the whole of my journey? Are there any restrictions regarding how soon you can start reserving flights or is it ok to book them before I leave? By doing it this way, is it as safe as having a ticket with the flight dates printed on it, e.g if the flight gets cancelled?

Thanks