Community
Wiki Posts
Search

About earning miles

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2004, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ LT D+, UA 1K, AS MVPG AF Gold, SPG Platinum (8 years), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
About earning miles

Hi guys~
I'm growing up owing to helps of flyer talks' people

but I also have a question that is about earning miles.

For example, CAI - MAD has two routes in Iberia

CAI - MAD is one route & CAI - BCN(VIA) - MAD is another..

If I book a flight the `CAI-BCN-MAD' IB6977 , Do I earn miles based CAI - MAD direct miles or two sector's miles CAI - BCN, BCN - MAD ?

Anyone who know about that explain to me some informations.

Have a nice day~
Old Apr 28, 2004, 12:03 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
If you book the flight as CAI-MAD then you get the miles for the direct distance CAI-MAD but it only counts as one flight segment (out of the maximum 20 allowed) on your ticket.

If you book it as CAI-BCN-MAD then you get the miles for the two segments separately, but it counts as two segments towards your 20-segment limit. (And, of course, you may spend some time in Barcelona)
Old Apr 28, 2004, 12:11 am

Programs: AY Plat, SK Silver, FB Gold
If you have one flight with one flight code (IB6977), you will get miles which equals the direct distance between your originating point to your final destination point. CAI-MAD will be approximately 2085 miles, even if the flight is CAI-BCN-MAD (2109 miles). If your flight is CAI-BCN you would get 1808 miles.

According to my own experience this will also apply if you have a change of plane but you continue with the same flight code. I had this experience once when flying from EZE to MEX on LAN Chile via SCL. There was an aircraft change in SCL, but flight code remained the same and I got miles for the direct distance between EZE and MEX.

Also in mileage based tickets (such as Global Explorer), miles are calculated according to direct distances.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 12:50 am

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
This brings up an interesting question I have.

ON my current DONE4 my last two segments are LHR-MEL and MEL-SYD. I plan on doing them without stopping in MEL.

I have chosen QF 10 for LHR-MEL.

Now clearly I have a vast array of options fore MEL-SYD. But my current plan is to take QF10 MEL-SYD.

Given that I have two coupons for the separate segments, I don't fancy only gettins miles and SCs for LHR-SYD. Can I reasonably expect getting credit for two separate segments? Should I ensure I get separate BPs for LHR-MEL and MEL-SYD?
Old Apr 28, 2004, 12:56 am
Suspended

Yes and Yes. But it might be a struggle. To be safe I might just delay 5 minutes and take the next flight (QF404) to Sydney.

Another advantage of having the ticket coupons open IMHO.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by christep
Yes and Yes. But it might be a struggle. To be safe I might just delay 5 minutes and take the next flight (QF404) to Sydney.

Another advantage of having the ticket coupons open IMHO.
Agreed but the whole point was to avoid immigration and re-checking bags in MEL, byt staying in transit as international pax and catching an international flight # MEL-SYD.

And having read many of your (and others') posts, I did get my coupons open dated....
Old Apr 28, 2004, 1:21 am
Suspended

Fair enough. So I would just do as you say: get two boarding passes and insist on credit for each since you have effectively "paid" for two separate segments. From my limited experience of dealing qith Qantas though I fear you might be in for something of a battle.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 10:25 am

I think I may take another approach - stay in transit and catch QF 179 or QF 180 to SYD - in the meantime I can freshen up in the Int F lounge in MEL. Alas it won't be a 747 but for a 1hr flight that won't kill me.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 3:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You don't have to go far for these issues - AA38 (SFO - DFW - ZRH) often means two aircraft, not even a change of gauge as they are noth 763's, but... you get SFO - ZRH miles. Returning as AA32 and 327, you get miles for both legs. QF does this if you fly LAX - AKL - BNE, which gets the same miles as their new LAX - BNE.

Same applies even if there's a "change of gauge" and you switch to different aircraft types, as I recall. Unless one takes a stopover, oc fourse.

Originally Posted by JuPe
If you have one flight with one flight code (IB6977), you will get miles which equals the direct distance between your originating point to your final destination point. CAI-MAD will be approximately 2085 miles, even if the flight is CAI-BCN-MAD (2109 miles). If your flight is CAI-BCN you would get 1808 miles.

According to my own experience this will also apply if you have a change of plane but you continue with the same flight code. I had this experience once when flying from EZE to MEX on LAN Chile via SCL. There was an aircraft change in SCL, but flight code remained the same and I got miles for the direct distance between EZE and MEX.

Also in mileage based tickets (such as Global Explorer), miles are calculated according to direct distances.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 4:14 am

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
Originally Posted by alect
This brings up an interesting question I have.

ON my current DONE4 my last two segments are LHR-MEL and MEL-SYD. I plan on doing them without stopping in MEL.

I have chosen QF 10 for LHR-MEL.

Now clearly I have a vast array of options fore MEL-SYD. But my current plan is to take QF10 MEL-SYD.

Given that I have two coupons for the separate segments, I don't fancy only gettins miles and SCs for LHR-SYD. Can I reasonably expect getting credit for two separate segments? Should I ensure I get separate BPs for LHR-MEL and MEL-SYD?
If you have two coupons you will get two boarding passes and with QFF at least you wil get credits for LHR-MEL and MEL-SYD with the latter qualifying for the minimum points guarantee
Old Apr 30, 2004, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by mikalee
If you have two coupons you will get two boarding passes and with QFF at least you wil get credits for LHR-MEL and MEL-SYD with the latter qualifying for the minimum points guarantee
That's great.....are you stating this so confidently because you have done this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.