Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied entry to CX SFO Lounge as OWE

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Denied entry to CX SFO Lounge as OWE

I'm flying British Airways as a Oneworld Emerald, and was just told that I could not go into the Cathay Lounge. Only BA Gold members are allowed. This seems completely arbitrary and ridiculous. BA is renovating their SFO lounge, but it doesn't seem like CX should be allowed to change their OWE policy as a result. Very disappointing.

Anyone else experience this?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
When I flew Qantas in November as a One World Sapphire, they sent me to the Cathay lounge. Back in May they sent me to Air France. Several travel blogs covered the Cathay agreement with Qantas just this last week as if it was something new, but it had been in place for a few months. Any lounge reserves the right to restrict capacity. Maybe you're running up against that with anticipated evening departures, which could include Qantas flights to both SYD and MEL as well as a Cathay flight to HKG. Whose One World card are you trying to enter under?

BA's current agreement, during remodeling, is not with Cathay.

Note: Our San Francisco Lounge is closed while we work to bring you an entirely new lounge experience. You're invited to use the China Airlines Dynasty Lounge in the interim.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...siness-lounges
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald
In 2018 I attempted entry to the CX lounge at SFO multiple times, and it was hit and miss: sometimes they smiled and let me in, and other times they said they could not due to capacity. I know other FT'ers have pressed the issue and showed them the OneWorld policy and everything, but I have enough other things on my mind that when not granted entry I am content to not make a fuss and simply go elsewhere.

Last edited by flying4workNfun; Jan 25, 2019 at 11:57 am Reason: grammar correction
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Complain to your "home" air carrier. CX could care less and does not need to be shown anything. It is well aware of the rules.

It is your "home" carrier which needs to put up a fuss.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bdod6
I'm flying British Airways as a Oneworld Emerald, and was just told that I could not go into the Cathay Lounge. Only BA Gold members are allowed. This seems completely arbitrary and ridiculous. BA is renovating their SFO lounge, but it doesn't seem like CX should be allowed to change their OWE policy as a result. Very disappointing.

oneworld Emerald = BA Gold

New BA arrangement in SFO and CX capacity could certainly be a factor. But you should have mention you are as good as BA Gold!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Is he BA Gold, though? He could be One World Emerald with AA or someone else. Not very clear to me which is why I asked a few posts back.
Calchas and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by bdod6

Welcome to FlyerTalk

For us to assist better, some more information would be useful.

Where were you told you could not go to the Cathay lounge? Check-in? At the lounge itself?

What airline are you one world Emerald with?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
Welcome to FlyerTalk

For us to assist better, some more information would be useful.

Where were you told you could not go to the Cathay lounge? Check-in? At the lounge itself?

What airline are you one world Emerald with?
Thanks for the message.

This was the agent working behind the desk when i was at the Cathay lounge itself. No indication or communication had been sent before. I earned my OWE through American. Usually credit to BA so I didn't have BAEC status.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Also, to be clear this was definitely not about capacity, but related to the ongoing renovation in SFO.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As an AA EXP travelling internationally on oneworld you should have been allowed Emerald access.

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-...access/SFO/906

Of course, CX are very protective of their lounge - they mey see AAdvantage and just say an automatic NO!

Did you try the China Airlines Dynasty Lounge ?

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-...access/SFO/832

If, so, what was it like?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Of course, CX are very protective of their lounge - they mey see AAdvantage and just say an automatic NO!
I thought BA is, but not CX?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I thought BA is, but not CX?
It has been an ongoing issue with Qantas elites not/getting access there since Qantas resumed their SFO flights.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Did you try the China Airlines Dynasty Lounge ?

If, so, what was it like?
I went to the China Airlines lounge and it was pretty terrible. All the BA flyers were cramped into a small room, and the food/drink selection in the lounge was far more limited. Generally an awful experience.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Anyone know what would happen if I have a JL J ticket as a OW Sapphire? Would I be able to get access? I know there is a CX flight at noon, but even then it is hardly crowded, and per OW I should be able to access any lounge (for the most part).
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Update:

Just wanted to say I contacted Cathay and they agreed that they should not have happened. They sent me a small cash voucher as an apology, and confirmed that OW E/S can use the lounge regardless of whatever BA renovations are happening.
ExpatExp and Carfield like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.